Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

L
Beginner May 2017

Reasonably priced wedding dress boutique in West Country?

lucyjo, 7 of December of 2015 at 14:55 Posted on Planning 0 9

I'm researching where I could go to find my wedding dress, but I'm getting completely overwhelmed with how many there are out there, and very few seem to indicate their price range. The ones that do seem to be £1,000 or more! That's waaaaaay out of budget. Does anyone know of anywhere in the Gloucester/Bath/Cheltenham area that has some nice lower-price dresses? I'm thinking £500ish. Or am I better off scouring Monsoon or Phase Eight? I definitely don't want to resort to buying something online I've never seen, so the China option is out. Moon on a stick, eh? ;-)

9 replies

Latest activity by 2BMrsC, 16 of December of 2015 at 11:50
  • E
    Beginner May 2016
    ExpensivePinkCars201 ·
    • Hide content

I'm not from that area, but can offer a little general advice. I would ring up all of the local boutiques and ask their price range, I would think that most stores offer dresses under the £1000 mark.

There is also the option of purchasing the dress in a sample sale. They are greatly reduced in price so you get your dream dress for less. I think Jayne E got her dress for under £500 and it's a stunner.

• Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

Yes luckily I got mine as a sample. Cost to order new was 1450 and I got mine for 400. It's well worth asking when their sample sales are and hoping they have something you like in your size.

• S
    Beginner December 2015
    SunnyPinkConfetti310 ·
    • Hide content

Would you consider a second-hand dress? If so, you may be able to pick up a bargain. So you could go to the expensive dress shops, find one you love and then get searching for a second-hand version which is in your price range?

• Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

If buying second hand I would advise definately find a stockist and try it on. I'm on my second dress. I paid (luckily only) 57.00 off ebay for a dress I thought was lovely and a style that would suit me. It didn't. I bought A line first then ended up with mermaid when I tried on in a shop. Size 14 A line anyone lol?

I also didn't know when I bought it that it was from China. Turned out it was ok and nicely made but isn't the same quality as the bridal shop one I bought later.

Lastly there seems to be big differences in sizes in wedding dresses so a second hand purchase in a dress you like in a size you think you want could be wrong on both counts.

Daft as it sounds some charity shops have whole wedding departments. Lots of dresses and you are able to try them on. Worth asking around.

• 2BMrsC
    Beginner May 2017
    2BMrsC ·
    • Hide content

I don't know if it's too far for you to go, but I know So Gorgeous in Worle High Steet (near Weston Super Mare) do some lovely dress 'packages' (I think they include tiara and veil) for around the £500 mark. I spotted one in the window when passing recently and made a mental note that when it's 'That Time' for me I'll be going there first!!

Just checked their web site- packages start at £395 and there is an additional £100 off for November... so probably worth a trip!! Smiley winking

http://www.sogorgeousbridal.co.uk/bridal-wear/

• L
    Beginner June 2016
    Lexi_K ·
    • Hide content

I've heard good things about Belle Of The Ball Bridal in Melksham. Haven't been myself but a couple of people I know have bought from there. They have a website too.

lexi Smiley smile

• TinaBeana
    Beginner June 2016
    TinaBeana ·
    • Hide content

Have you tried the Bridal Sale Shop in Gloucester? Not been yet myself - but am going on Saturday :-)

• Arpee
    Beginner August 2016
    Arpee ·
    • Hide content

I went to a lot of the shops in Gloucester and one in Cheltenham.

Linda Gray on Westgate Retail island stock dresses that start at £500 and they often run deals and offers.

The Bridal Sale Shop on Northgate St would be a good place to try!

Taffeta and Lace just off Southgate St might be worth a try, they have a lot of dresses.

SJP Bridal by the cathedral was fab, I got really friendly service there so would recommend it. Prices start at £500.

And I ordered my dress from By Design on Westgate St and would 100% recommend going there. I don't know what prices start at, but you could ring them and ask.

The prices in the Cheltenham shop (Wedding Days of Cheltenham) were all pretty high, even with a sale on. I don't know if there is a budget shop in Cheltenham.

My other suggestion would be a trip to the Oxfam Bridal store in Chippenham, or a trip to a Wed2B wedding dress factory outlet, the nearest to Glos or Bath would be Burbage (near Coventry), Milton Keynes or Southampton. The max price at Wed2B is £500, you don't need an appointment.

I hope some of that proves useful!!!

• L
    Beginner May 2017
    lucyjo ·
    • Hide content

Oh my gosh, guys, this is amazing. Thanks so much for all your ideas and suggestions! Woohoo, I'm excited again now - for a moment there I was starting to panic that I'd never find anything in budget! Smiley smile xx

• 2BMrsC
    Beginner May 2017
    2BMrsC ·
    • Hide content

LucyJo- if you're planning a trip to Worle/WSM then White Lace and Promises on the Milton Road also do packages starting at £395 or £495- sorry saw a sign outside and thought 'ohhh!' But can't remember exact price!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics