Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

R

Reassurance and Advice

RomanticBrownStationery775, 28 of February of 2017 at 23:29 Posted on Planning 0 4

Hi,

My best friend is getting married in early June this year and I'm Maid of Honour. I am absolutely over the moon that she is getting married and i am so happy for her. I have never been a bridesmaid before, let alone MoH and I was so excited to be such a special part of the big day. Regrettably, so far (and we're a year into planning), it has been one of the worst experiences of my life and I feel like such a *** for thinking that!

Let's start from the beginning shall we...

My best friend has never actually formally asked me to be her MoH, she's just referred to me as her MoH when talking to everyone about the wedding. Having talked to the 4 other bridesmaids about this it is apparent that she hasn't asked any of us to be bridesmaids and just assumed. Maybe it's just me, but I thought the whole "will you be my bridesmaid?" was an actual thing. We, in the end, actually had to ask her if certain people were bridemaids or not, how awkward!

Her mum and dad are paying for the wedding. This is where the biggest issue lies. The bride isnt very vocal when talking to her mum and it's looking like her mother is planning the whole wedding and not letting the bride have what she wants. I really do feel bad for her and have tried to make the small bits that she can plan exciting and fun for her. That being said, for 10 months we weren't told what was expected of us in terms of cost. And the bride found it awkward to ask her mum about the bridesmaid budget. When too much time passed I confronted the bride and said that we needed to know the budget for the dresses so we can plan shopping trips etc for bridesmaid dresses.

(Context: I confronted her 7 months before her wedding, and was speaking on behalf of all the bridesmaids. We were stressed that we hadn't yet looked at any bridemaid dresses and we were concerned about having enough time to find the dress, buy it, and get it altered)

Three months later she gave the go ahead for bridesmaid dress shopping (this was 4 months before the wedding!!) and I planned an appointment at a local bridal shop. We all liked a dress there but it was really pricey, I think £200 each. She said she'd speak to her mum about the prices. Obviously she asked our opinion on the dresses because she didn't want any of us to feel uncomfortable in it. But as I assumed she was paying for the dress (that by the way isn't my colour or style and can't really be worn again) I wasn't too bothered with the dress that was chosen.

Next thing I know she sent a group message to all bridemaid saying she had found another dress online for £100 each.

(Which, by the way, looked nothing like the dress we had all agreed on in the bridal shop, but was half the price)

She then went onto say that one of the bridesmaids had been willing to put £50 towards it so if we could all contribute £50 each that would be great, to which everyone readily agreed so I felt like I couldn't say no. Bearing in mind, I haven't even seen the dress, let alone tried it on and was basically forced into putting £50 towards it because I didn't want to be a difficult MoH. She said that her and her fiance would contribute the rest of the money for the bridemaid dresses, which almost felt like I was being guilt tripped because they're paying out of their pocket rather than her mum and dad and I know that they're saving to buy a house. (I relented in the end, the dresses are here and are beautiful)

Annoyingly, when looking at dresses early on for her wedding practically the same dress was online for £40 total, so I feel like I've been put out an extra tenner because she didn't want to get bridemaid dresses earlier.

If I had known from the beginning the costs expected of me then I would have seriously reconsidered being her MoH. Also, I currently have no income. I'm a graduate and have no job and am not on benefits. So I literally have no money, and she knows this.

To add insult to injury, all ten Groomsmen are having their suits paid for by the grooms parents. I know for a fact that the price of suits comes to well over £1000. This seems slightly unfair to me.

On top of all of this it's expected that the bridemaids do their own hair and makeup or pay for it themselves to be done (fair enough: but dyou know how many hours have gone into perfecting the "smokey eye" without looking like you've got a black eye? Days worth), buy their own shoes (which she is trying to dictate and wants us all wearing the same shoe), sort their own travel and accommodation costs and buy their own accessories. (Sidenote: the bridemaid dresses are strapless - do you know how much a decent strapless bra is? Crazy amounts of money!! And I'm sure she wouldn't be happy if my double D's were in a standard tshirt bra with the straps tucked in, or alternatively stans bra and dangling by my ankles! Haha)

I have talked to her about alteration costs of the dresses as they are all too long but am yet to get a serious answer out of her, so I'm expecting that to be an extra cost too!

On top of the whole dress fiasco, which thank God its sort of covered now, is the Hen Do. The bride has said since day one that she wanted to plan her Hen Do herself. After asking her several times over a 6 month span I relented and have just been sitting back waiting for her to come to me with ideas. 3 months before her Hen Do she said she expected me to plan the Hen Do with the other bridesmaid. What?!! The Hen is currently 2 months away and I am sooooo stressed it is unreal. Unfortunately this isn't sorted yet, but I'm trying to plough through.

She's given us details of what she wants and I think we're easily looking at spending £200 each on that Smiley sad especially because we're booking hotels etc with such short notice.

Please tell me I'm not being whiney and that it's reasonable to be annoyed and stressed over this situation!

I was so looking forward to this experience and the wedding but now I just can't until it's over.

It would be great to get some feedback. Do you think the bride would understand if her Hen Party wasn't as glam as she wanted just because the bridemaids are already forking out hundreds just to be her bridesmaids? I know she'd be disappointed if it wasn't what she wanted.

Do you think she should have any input in what shoes we'rr wearing if we're paying for them?

Do you think it would be rude to confront the bride about the costs she's putting on her bridesmaids? And is it okay to put that much financial strain on your bridesaids? Obviously I've never been one before so don't know how it works!

Thanks so much, E x

Sidenote: this is all from a bride that's as cool as a cucumber but it's pretty much 3 months to the wedding and she has yet to send any invitations and hasn't even gone dress shopping for her own dress yet!!

4 replies

Latest activity by Chapples, 2 of March of 2017 at 09:57
  • Paula @ Ollievision
    Paula @ Ollievision ·
    • Hide content

I can see why you're fed up!

Remembering this basic rule may help you:
    If the bride is paying she chooses. If the BM's are paying, they choose.

This resolves the issues about BM shoes. You are paying so you can choose what shoes to wear. That is an individual choice, there is no need to decide as a group, though you may decide to all buy the same colour.

As for the hen.... well if the BM's can't afford it then she will have to compromise. I suspect she thinks she will rely on the "tradition" of the hens covering the bride's hen cost! That's why she isn't worried about it costing £200.

Here we have a bride who is in need of a reality check!

• V
    Beginner September 2017
    VegasBride2017 ·
    • Hide content

She will be hard pushed to get a dress....

• L
    Beginner May 2017
    lucyjo ·
    • Hide content

It sounds like very bad communication is the problem here. You don't just assume people will be BMs, and you don't assume they all know what your expectations are about outfits and hen dos and the rest. Anything to do with money should have been the first thing she settled with you. And if you're fussy about what shoes the BMs wear but haven't even sorted your own dress yet....that's taking flakey to a whole new level! It could be that the bride isn't communicating properly with her parents either, and so there are lots of crossed wires going around. Too many cooks!! What do the other BMs make of all these spiralling costs? Can you make a deputation to the bride all together and say you're prepared to pay for X but not for Y? There's safety in numbers. Quote the rule of thumb Paula gives above, which is bang on. If you have to pay, you get to choose. Simples.

• MetalBride
    Beginner April 2018
    MetalBride ·
    • Hide content

I'm paying for my BM dresses, they can choose about their makeup as I can't afford to pay for it for them. Shoes I will request the same colour but other than that I don't mind. I have been deliberately telling my BM who wants to sort my hen to keep it cheap and cheerful as I don't want to put everyone out of pocket. Have you spoken to her about it? Or any of the other bridesmaids? It sounds like you need a good chat with her about the expense she is creating for you x

• Chapples
    Beginner June 2017
    Chapples ·
    • Hide content

Awkward! My personal rule of thumb (although totally get that it differs from person to person depending on a whole lot of factors!), is that I am going to pay for everything for my BMs as I have asked them - so I've bought their dresses & shoes & I will pay for their make up & hair. I have two adults & one child, & would have loved to have asked more of my friends, but wanted to ensure that those that are being BMs won't be at all out of pocket. We're paying for our wedding in its entirety so I had to be sensible about costs & what we could afford - so instead I've asked other close friends to do readings & be witnesses etc.

I've been a BM 4 times for friends & family, & with the exception of my sister where I had to buy my own shoes which I got to choose, as it was my money, I've never had to pay for anything, which was lovely.

In terms of hen do's, I've let the BMs organise it for me, but told them I wanted to keep the costs down as much as possible as I know from experience how expensive it is to attend someone's wedding as a guest, when you factor in outfits, hotels, drinks, gifts etc - and my friends & family are all at stages in their lives where i'm sure there's other priorities for them financially than my wedding day (children, mortgages etc).

I wouldn't say confront her, but I think I chat is definitely in order - do you know the other BMs well enough to speak to them to see if they feel the same, without worrying it'll get back to the bride? I would be mortified if I felt that I was making my BMs / MOHs feel uncomfortable or in a difficult position financially, & even more so if they felt that way & didn't tell me - so I personally would much rather know how you were feeling.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics