Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

ChaosPixie
Beginner October 2016

Reception activity pack for teenagers

ChaosPixie, 7 of August of 2016 at 02:14 Posted on Planning 0 6

Hi all,

I'm sure this will have been asked before but I had a look and couldn't see anything on the forums.

I have a kids table at our reception and want to put little goodie bags/activity bags on it as don't want them to get bored during the meal. 3 of them are quite young under 10 and I have them sorted. But the other 3 are 12, 14 (both boys) and a very mature 11 year old(girl) and I'm totally stumped as to what to get them!

Sweets is fine - I'm getting love hearts for the girls and haribo for the boys.

I really want to get them some kind of game or activity they can do/play with at the table. The under 10s have an activity book with noughts and crosses, word searches etc in but the design of them is very young and I think these older ones will find them a bit baby-ish.

I had thought maybe a little nail art kit for the girl? Had looked at mini ectha sketches for the boys but they're around £10 and I'm looking to spend under £5 each.

Anybody got any suggestions?

Thank you!

6 replies

Latest activity by PadBin, 7 of August of 2016 at 23:38
  • S
    Beginner September 2017
    Sorbet ·
    • Hide content

Kids that old dont need 'packs' they have phones and social skills... my 8 year old doesnt even bother with 'activitiy packs' let alone the teen kids in the family

do you mean they sit at a table full of kids too eat or they will be allowed to run back and forth to a 'play' table?

if its the first then I have to say as a mother I would not be comfortable being seperated from my kids, it would allow them to rile each other up and get crazy and it seem to unfairly put the teens in a baby sitting role (also no teen want to be on a 'kids' table)

the later wouldnt get used because I (like many parent I know) would not let my child constantly get up and down and run around at an event like a wedding breakfast, yes at a dance reception but not during a meal

• soraneko
    Beginner June 2016
    soraneko ·
    • Hide content

Hey, I think it's nice for you to set up activity packs for them, but I really don't think it's necessary. As PP said, the older kids will be able to entertain themselves. If you sit them with their parents and some child-friendly relatives (or even new people who are good with kids) you probably won't even need them for the younger kids, although I'm sure they'd be appreciated later in the evening if this is the case Smiley smile We managed to keep our 'day kids' to just one family and they were as good as gold sitting with their parents and then three complete strangers (OH's cousin's family and my aunt, uncle and a cousin)

If you still want to give them something then maybe just an older version of what the younger kids have? I made up "I Spy" cards (a la Pinterest) which were ideas for photos or to get everyone involved in the details of the day and I had also wanted to do "wedding bingo" for the speeches (it ended up seeming like too much), which might help hold their attention a little bit?

I had a games table with some bits on it for the evening, as I thought that was when you need to worry about really keeping people entertained, but no one really seemed to touch it as they were all happy talking and dancing the night away! I think it's hard to explain just how much people actually just enjoying being with family and friends and meeting the other important people in your life for the day, but they really do (or did for mine anyway!)

I hope that helps!

• Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

I agree the older ones will probably not need activity packs etc. Quite like the i spy idea maybe with disposable camera if parents don't want to risk their camera phones.

• M
    Beginner December 2016
    MissBtoB ·
    • Hide content

We are getting the teenagers to vlog our wedding but my 14 year old niece still loves sticker books - guilty pleasure x

• Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

I still like colouring books lol. No! No! That's your colouring page, this is my colouring page. I don't colour on your page. You don't colour on my page!

• Bobbys_Girl
    Beginner October 2017
    Bobbys_Girl ·
    • Hide content

I also agree that children that age don't need activity packs. My 9 year old probably wouldn't look at one to be honest, he didn't at the last wedding we were at, he spoke to the adults and listened to the speeches but I was very grateful for it just in case he had been bored.

Are you having a children's table for the whole meal? Or a table they can go to and do their activity packs if needed?

• PadBin
    Rockstar July 2016
    PadBin ·
    • Hide content

I come from a big family and there was loads of children at our wedding ranging from 10 months to 16. I did a play table with loads of colouring stuff (poundland) and board games (from charity shops). All the kids loved it no matter what there age even my 19 year old nephew was sat there having fun.

so okay maybe you don't have to do anything for the older kids but I think it really did make a difference and all the parents kept saying that weddings can sometimes be a nightmare with kids and the were so impressed with all the effort.

Just a few ideas, board games, small lego set (wilko does there own cheaper set). Card games. Top trumps. Magazine. Origami.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics