Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

sapphire_22
Beginner September 2011

reception for devon wedding on budget

sapphire_22, 3 December, 2010 at 15:15 Posted on Planning 0 13

I'm getting married in September next year in east Devon. We are having the ceremony in a church but we have no idea where to have the reception. What we want is somewhere that can be quite flexible - a venue where we can just hire the room/marquee and bring in our own caterers and entertainment would be ideal. FH and I have both been searching for 2 weeks now without success and I'm getting a bit worried. Does anyone know of anywhere? I was wondering about hiring a marquee but absolutely no idea where we would put it! Sorry about being so thick, I'm the first one of my group of friends to get married and have no idea how to plan this thing.

A bit more info - we are expecting 40-50 guests and we don't mind if there is a bit of a drive to the venue.

Thanks

13 replies

Latest activity by Strippy2011, 3 December, 2010 at 19:30
  • lovelygirl
    Beginner August 2011
    lovelygirl ·
    • Hide content

Have you thought about village halls or cricket pavillions?

• ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content

East Devon is a big area - are you able to be a bit more specific?

• Storky
    Beginner May 2011
    Storky ·
    • Hide content

Where in Devon would you consider?

Lovelygirl's suggestion of cricket pavilions is a great one! We go on a cricket tour each year down to Devon during the last week in August. They play at 5 different places so if you need contact details, just shout.

• lovelygirl
    Beginner August 2011
    lovelygirl ·
    • Hide content

Thanks CB - we very nearly had the cricket pavillion but the local village hall worked out more flexible in the village my parents live in. Also marquees are not cheap but if that is the way you want to go then you could try farmers or alternatively campsites will sometimes let you rent a whole section....

• sapphire_22
    Beginner September 2011
    sapphire_22 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for replying. I live in Exeter. If I could do it in a village hall then I would, but unfortunately the man I'm marrying is a little more picky and he has already said no to this idea. The cricket pavilion idea sounds good though, I didn't even realise that you could hire them for wedding receptions.

• Storky
    Beginner May 2011
    Storky ·
    • Hide content

Cricket clubs will do anything to make a bit of extra cash! You'll find they will either be unlicensed (you can bring your own) or they tend to have cheap booze (think working men's club prices).

There is a lovely Pavilion at Hatherleigh (maybe 50 mins from Exeter). If you're interested, I can put you in touch with my FIL who is a member there.

• Strippy2011
    Beginner June 2011
    Strippy2011 ·
    • Hide content

Hey im in Exeter too - where abouts are you?! Were having our reception at the Cowick Barton and then the evening at the Kings on Cowick Street...have you tried the social clubs around?

xx

• sapphire_22
    Beginner September 2011
    sapphire_22 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for letting me know Cricket bride, I will discuss it with my OH tonight.

hannahhewlett1989, I live near Heavitree hospital, but we are moving next year because our landlady is selling the house. I did a little google search of your reception venues btw, VERY nice - if I wasn't such a control freak about the menu, decor, etc being exactly to my specifications then I would be very tempted to steal your idea Smiley smile

• lovelygirl
    Beginner August 2011
    lovelygirl ·
    • Hide content

What is you H2bs issue with village halls? my H2b was not keen until i showed him a few pic of well dressed village halls and he soon changed his tune!

• sapphire_22
    Beginner September 2011
    sapphire_22 ·
    • Hide content

I think he wants something surrounded by lots of greenery with views of nature. Basically, he wants somewhere quite secluded which looks beautiful from the outside, ie. no Co-ops, rows of houses, etc directly outside. He's one of those people who have always had a very specific idea of how they want their wedding day to be. If all else fails though, he will just have to deal with it Smiley smile

• Strippy2011
    Beginner June 2011
    Strippy2011 ·
    • Hide content

Ah you staying in the Exeter area? I work at the phoenix in wonford so know the area (kinda) lol. You could always look at whether somewhere like the cowick would let you choose your own menu (Steve and Keeley are really lovely) What about the social club in Heavitree? Thats off the road from what I remember. x

• ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content

It might be a little bit too much of a hike for you - and I don't know what budget you're thinking of - but how about the Dartmouth Steam Railway and river cruise?

http://www.dartmouthweddings.co.uk/

They are licensed for weddings so I don't know whether they might just do a 'reception only' package?

Powderham Castle - https://www.powderham.co.uk/weddings/ - also mention marquees in the grounds.

• tinks269
    Beginner February 2011
    tinks269 ·
    • Hide content

Hi I am getting married at the White Hart in Moretonhampstead (not that far from Exeter) and tehy have literally bent over backwards to let me have whatever i wanted. If that isnt up your OH's street check out Fingle Bridge Inn which is just outside Drewsteignton it is in the middle of no where and is right beside the river with a gorgeous bridge over it truely gorgeous.

• Strippy2011
    Beginner June 2011
    Strippy2011 ·
    • Hide content

Ooh talking of Fingle...try fingle glen, the golf place out tedburn st mary. Smiley smile x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics