Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

M
Beginner December 2012

Reception ideas - alternatives to DJ?

MrsPearcetobe, 18 February, 2012 at 16:20 Posted on Planning 0 9

Hi all, I know there are tonnes of posts about receptions on here but I couldn't find what I was after so thought I'd do my own post to try and get inspiration!

We're getting married in December and are trying to decide what to have for our evening entertainment. Its going to be a fairly small do (max 50 all day) and we are not inviting additional people for the evening so we want something that everyone can get involved in and enjoy but don't really want a DJ.

Can anyone help with ideas to give me inspiration please?!

thanks ?

9 replies

Latest activity by Jason Clark DJ, 6 March, 2012 at 15:44
  • R
    Beginner June 2012
    Randomsabreur ·
    • Hide content

Ceilidh/Barn Dance!

• Hawk
    Beginner September 2012
    Hawk ·
    • Hide content

A silent disco

• BridalButterfly2012
    Beginner June 2012
    BridalButterfly2012 ·
    • Hide content

What about a local band or a tribute act performer?

• venart
    Beginner June 2013
    venart ·
    • Hide content

I saw an ad for a service that would provide a sound system for a party, and you just plugged in your laptop or ipod and did your own playlists. Can't remember what it was called, though, sorry. If your venue has speakers, you could always see if hooking up a computer would work, and then you could have a preplanned list of songs to play, and have an usher or family member in charge of making sure it stayed going.

• tizmelou
    Beginner September 2012
    tizmelou ·
    • Hide content

How about a rat pack type wedding singer?

• Lee_Jon_Wedding_Singer
    Lee_Jon_Wedding_Singer ·
    • Hide content

Please take a look at our website www.leejonweddingsinger.co.uk we provide a nice combination of live music and DJ/Disco. If you would like me to send you a demo cd and some information on our services please fill in the contact form and I will send it to you straight away. We have catered for weddings with as little as 20 guests to weddings and events with over 1500 guests.

We offer a variety of live music from modern The Killers, Kings of Leon, Keane to more soft Rock oldies like Whitesnake, Bon Jovi and Bryan Adams to 60's & 70's party music like Blues Brothrs, Beatles etc. Our brand new website has been launched just last year so please feel free to take a look www.leejonweddingsinger.co.uk

• J
    Beginner July 2012
    joneyyy1981 ·
    • Hide content

Hire an old duke box for the day... very good idea.

well done me

• HLT
    Beginner August 2012
    HLT ·
    • Hide content

We are having a ceilidh..

• M
    Dedicated February 2022
    martinkab@hotmail.com ·
    • Hide content

Thought about a celeidh and found a fantastic band called The Haywainers but in the end went for a violinist/pianist called Simon Jordan who is playing with another musician for my ceremony, reception and evening entertainment. They take requests, play live and play a vast range of music, so I've already given them a list of my likes and dislikes. Now thinking about the venue, who are proving a hell of a problem!

• Jason Clark DJ
    Jason Clark DJ ·
    • Hide content

I'd go with Ceilidh/Barn Dance too. Possibly think about line dancing.

I've worked with a good Ceilidh band based in Cambridge, and they did a great job and the live sound was fantastic.

We followed on with the Brides (must play) requests of Chart music and lost all the older guests in about 2 minutes! (with the younger guests filling the floor until 1am)

I did see the Ceilidh as very popular and good fun - but some of the younger guests spent this time at the bar.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics