Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

I
Beginner July 2014

Reception in Lancashire

Ivylane, 24 March, 2013 at 15:27 Posted on Planning 0 6

Hello,

We're hoping to marry next year. We are going for a church ceremony, which is Mawdesley, so we need a venue no more than a 20 minute drive away.

We've got Plan A and Plan B at the moment..........and can't find venues to suit either!

Plan A is to go for a small, immediate family and a few close friends reception. This will be about 40 people all together. We considered a nice restuarant where we could just book a table; or going to a small function room and having a traditional afternoon tea.

Plan B is to do it the conventional way, with a sit-down meal for say 50

We both love the idea of a proper, old fashioned afternoon tea and we also like the idea of something informal like a hog roast.

So far, we've not found anywhere that really makes us excited, apart from the Inn at Whitewell, which is miles too far away Smiley sad

Between us, we've come up with our 'Non-Negotiables' list, which will probably shrink as the months go on - but here goes for now....

1) Absolutely no more than 20 minutes' drive from J27 of the M6

2) Must not have a 'conference centre' style polystyrene-tiled ceiling! (mine)

3) Must have a nice fireplace (his!)

4) No sticky / conference centre / travel lodge style carpets (both of us!)

5) Children welcome (up to 6 children under 10 years old) preferably with somewhere outside to play (but we know that's pushing it!)

6) Ideally, some kind of lounge area where people can chat and mingle after the meal / afternoon tea

We love Croston Old School - lovely room, children's play area in the woods next door and local caterers - but nowhere for people to relax after the meal.

We liked bits of Heskin Hall, but we both thought it needed a good clean Smiley sad

There's planty of time, but any ideas are appreciated!

6 replies

Latest activity by Ivylane, 25 March, 2013 at 18:52
  • S
    Beginner July 2014
    SM2014 ·
    • Hide content

Ours is at haigh hall, which is pretty local to J27 of the M6

it has a fireplace in the entrance which is always lit.

It has a lounge in the suite we're having, as well as lovely leather couches in the bar area. You get loads of space for mingling. There's also a children's play park about 30 secs walk from the main building.

struggling to think of anywhere else that meets the criteria... Fussy beggars Smiley tongue haha

xx

• C
    Beginner May 2013
    CarMungeam ·
    • Hide content

Small world - I grew up in Mawdesley!I will out on thinking cap and get back to you :-)

• Kjay
    Beginner August 2013
    Kjay ·
    • Hide content

Hi, I went here for my Great Auntie and Uncles Ruby Wedding and it was fantastic,

https://www.ashfieldhouseweddings.co.uk/

• S
    Beginner July 2014
    SM2014 ·
    • Hide content

We looked around Ashfield house hotel too, it was quite nice but too small for our numbers and the lady on reception was dead rude. Did like the main room though.

• Kjay
    Beginner August 2013
    Kjay ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oh that is a shame Smiley sad we went to a place where they didn't seem interested at all, puts you right off!

I can only speak as a guest from Ashfield and it was a great day but you need to feel confidant when it is you wedding / occasion.

• mummymrs2b
    Beginner April 2013
    mummymrs2b ·
    • Hide content

I'm not good with how far away but what about bartle hall? Although thinking about it I think it's too far. My friends sister got married last year at Mawdsley church but had a marquee afterwards. Ours is at Leyland hotel but no fireplace there! What about Farrington lodge? Think they have a fireplace. Trying to think of others...

• I
    Beginner July 2014
    Ivylane ·
    • Hide content

? I know - we are fussy beggars!!!

Ashfield looks lovely - and I know Haigh Hall is nice, because I went to a wedding there many years ago, but it's a bit too far to travel.

My worst expereince so far (at a venue that had better remain nameless) is when I called in because I was passing, just to see if they had any wedding brochures. The lady on reception was really lovely and enthusiastic, but then she called a young man to show me the function rooms and he was totally unenthusiastic. He told me - absolutely deadpan - that this was the premier wedding venue in Lancashire and he didn't need to give it the hard sell because they were so successful. He put me right off taking things any further. I know rooms look vastly different if they are decorated, but we're looking for a room that is lovely in its own right. He also asked if there would be any children and when I said yes, he suggetsed putting them all together on a table 'out of the way'!

We will check out the Leyland ideas!

Somewhere I really loved for the vintage afternoon tea idea was the Botanic Gardens in Churchtown, but they don't do wedding receptions any more. The room is full of things for sale in winter and mroe cafe space in summer, but it could be made absolutley stunning and there are enough things to do in the gardens to keep nippers amused too.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics