Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

M
Beginner July 2015

Reception toast drinks... advice needed

MrsB2015, 7 of August of 2014 at 11:44 Posted on Planning 0 9

Hi all, our reception have said under no circumstances can we take our own alcohol for the toast (not even with a corkage charge). They have said if we want champagne for our toast we have to buy theres at £30 a bottle, we have 70 there and average of 5 glasses per bottle we need 14 bottles totalling £420. I just cant justify this for a toast drink, people will leave them on tables and not drink it.

Our wedding venue are allowing us to take drinks so we are having a drinks reception after the service then going on to the reception venue. My suggestion was we stick about £250 behind the bar and give some sort of token for a drink for the toast, OH doesn't like this idea tho.

I just don't feel right not providing a drink for the toast but don't want to spend £400+

Any advice?

xx

9 replies

Latest activity by LalaC1988, 8 of August of 2014 at 22:43
  • Knees
    VIP August 2012
    Knees ·
    • Hide content

Do they have any sparkling wine or prosecco?

• M
    Beginner July 2015
    MrsB2015 ·
    • Hide content

That is the prosecco price!!

xx

• pammy67
    Beginner April 2015
    pammy67 ·
    • Hide content

£30 a bottle for prosecco is extortionate but it's how some of these places make their money. A good venue will get 6 glasses out of a bottle so I don;t think you need 14 bottles, also is the 70 all adults? You don't need it for children. I think you should be able to drive that cost down a little but not massively so.

You could do the toasts at the ceremony venue or just accept this is the cost and put it down to experience. I'm sure there are other things you will be doing that some people will leave it's just the way of weddings I'm afraid. Perhaps look at this cost in context of what the whole day is costing and consider how important it is to have some fizz to toast. For me it's amust. I know some of our guests won't drink it all, but we do have mine-sweepers so it won't be wasted lo and I'msure you'll find people hand unwated glasses to othersl, and we won't be providing it for the children.

• B
    Beginner September 2012
    bia57 ·
    • Hide content

Have bucks fizz as the toast drink? That would reduce the amount of fizz needed

• E
    Beginner July 2015
    EllieTea ·
    • Hide content

I agree that £30 for Prosecco is crazy expensive. Could you ask your venue to see if they can source another bottle of fizz for less? They may be able to provide you with a cheaper bottle of Prosecco or Cava.

If you choose to give everyone a token for the bar do you think this would cause a rush to the bar just before the toast?

• cosmictrout
    Beginner August 2014
    cosmictrout ·
    • Hide content

Are you having a sit-down meal before the speeches? If so, are you/the venue providing wine with the meal?

If yes, you don't necessarily need to provide a new drink for the toasts - people can just toast with whatever is in their glass already.

• M
    Beginner July 2015
    MrsB2015 ·
    • Hide content

Were not having a sit down meal the plan was

Wedding at 3 - 3.30

3.30 - 4.30 Drinks & canapé reception in the house

4.30 - 5.00 get guests to the reception

5.00 - 5.30 Speeches in the reception

5.30 BBQ starts

7.00pm evening reception starts

Do you think I could do speeches in the house at the drinks reception or would this be a bit odd?

Thanks

xx

Beginner April 2014
    **Claire** ·
    • Hide content

You could have the speeches at the drinks reception or have the speeches without toasts maybe? We didn't have toast drinks. The best man did one toast that people used their wine glasses for but we didn't have any and if people hadn't drinks we would probably just have said thanks etc. Toasts can get a bit boring for guests anyway in my opinion.

• L
    Beginner October 2014
    LalaC1988 ·
    • Hide content

I was against providing any drink to be honest, neither me or oh are big drinkers so I felt against paying for any alcohol, in our package we get a cocktail hour drink but other than that they can wish me luck with whatever they've got in their glass be it cava or beer at their own expense! I don't think things like a glass of champagne are really noticed yeah they are nice but I don't think people realise how expensive it was when you see them hardly being touched on the tables after.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics