Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Helenia
Beginner September 2011

Recipe ideas please - tuna steaks and Quorn mince (separately!)

Helenia, 29 of September of 2013 at 20:05 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 6

Having a freezer clearout prior to defrosting, and I've discovered all sorts of gems hiding at the back. There's a pack of Quorn mince which I bought when H was having some anti-red-meat thing, and some tuna steaks which I thought would be really nice for him but he says he only likes tuna in sushi and this tuna is not right for that apparently, so have to do something that's just for me on one of the nights that he's out. Any ideas for what I can do with either?

I assume with the Quorn I can just use it like I would use beef mince and make spag bol, chilli or some sort of curry, but are there any sneaky tricks to cooking with it that are different from meat?

The tuna steaks were supposedly quite nice ones but I've never cooked them before so don't really know where to start!

6 replies

Latest activity by maxinegallie, 2 of October of 2013 at 17:50
  • *Teabag*
    Beginner June 2013
    *Teabag* ·
    • Hide content

Yep, you can use the Quorn mince as you would use beef mince. I use it for things like chilli or enchiladas as it works best with something that has a lot of flavour (i.e. it has ZERO flavour itself)! The only thing that you do differently when cooking with it is that you add water to it.

I would make a marinade for the tuna and then cook it on a griddle pan if you have one. I don't have the exact quantities written down but I make one that has crushed coriander seeds, crushed black peppercorns, salt, olive oil and crushed garlic. I stick the tuna steaks in there for about 30 mins and then when I am ready to cook them I add a splash of lime juice. It is delicious and can be used for chicken too.

• *Eclair*
    Beginner August 2012
    *Eclair* ·
    • Hide content

I don't personally like quorn with cheese so I tend to use it in a chilli rather than pasta dishes. Could just be me though.

• Mrs Bass
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs Bass ·
    • Hide content

Yep, i use Quorn mince for spag bol and lasagna! i use a yummy jamie olivee sauce with both!

• *MM3*
    Beginner June 2014
    *MM3* ·
    • Hide content

We use Quorn mince with spag bol, chili, lasagne, cottage pie & burritos...yummy stuff Smiley smile
    It cooks so quicky as well I love it Smiley smile

• WickyWack
    Beginner July 2013
    WickyWack ·
    • Hide content

Agree with everyone else - it's so quick to cook and tastes great in pasta/chilli sauces..

I use it for the usual spag bol, chilli, lasagna, tacos, etc..

• Mrs Bass
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs Bass ·
    • Hide content

This is the recepie I base all my tomatoe sauces on /recipes/pasta/meatballs-and-pasta/

it is very yummy and always gets great reviews!

Unfortunatly I couldnt make 'meat'balls out of quorn mince but they do now sell Quorn Meat free balls whicha are very yummy!

• M
    Beginner July 2012
    maxinegallie ·
    • Hide content

I always make spag bol and lasagne with quorn mince as I love the meals but not the chewyness of mince. The only thing I do diff is add beef oxo cubes so it takes like mnce and then cook in tomatoes etc to make the sauce. No idea on tuna sorry, I dont eat it.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics