Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

K
Beginner September 2012

Red lipstick for a bride?

KimB1980, 21 August, 2012 at 11:23 Posted on Planning 0 18

Ive been looking at the flashes of all the beautiful brides on here and have noticed most have simple elegant make up. I'm going to wear red lipstick & nail varnish - my fiancé always comments how he likes it when I wear it so know it wil go down well with him but I'm not sure if it's not the 'done thing'. I'm wondering if I should rethink.

My look is similar to Zoe Deschanel with dark hair and pale-ish skin and will be having my hair down.

our colours are red, silver & ivory and I have a tiny line of red beads on my dress.

18 replies

Latest activity by Cheshire Hair and Beauty, 4 September, 2012 at 20:07
  • Saisi
    Beginner June 2011
    Saisi ·
    • Hide content

I think if you and he both like it, then why rethink? I would have thought red lipstick would look amazing on a 50s-style bride with a short dress, and if you've got red on your dress then why not?

Can we see your dress?

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

Hmmm, if you wear it all the time and feel comfortable, why not? Especially with red in your dress. What style dress is it - I always think this type of makeup suits the Vivien of Holloway style...

I suspect the reason you see most brides wearing simple and elegant make up is because most of us don't routinely wear bright red lipstick (so would feel stupid in it on our wedding day).

• *gnashers*
    Beginner October 2013
    *gnashers* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

If it's what you like, and it suits you, wear it.

I think it looks fab.

• xKellsBellsx
    Beginner December 2012
    xKellsBellsx ·
    • Hide content

I think it will look stunning, especially with the line of red beads in your dress. I don't intend to have natural looking make-up....I am a fan of black eyeliner and smokey eyes.

Also, I saw a bride in a wedding magazine the other day who had red nail varnish on and I thought "Wow" and it made me wonder if I might like it....go for it! It will make you unique and you will look amazing. All that matters is that you feel comfortable.

• Kjay
    Beginner August 2013
    Kjay ·
    • Hide content

Agree with the ladies, if its your style- go for it, you don't want to look like a stranger on your wedding day!

• K
    Beginner September 2012
    KimB1980 ·
    • Hide content

Can't flash I'm afraid as on my iPhone. But my dress is floorlength ivory strapless with a thin line of silver & red beading under the bust that runs down to a point at the bottom of my back then theres a small bustle.

Im thinking if my fiancé likes red lipstick then I'll wear it - at the end of the day he's the one who's opinion will count.

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oh, I had a shed-load of eye makeup on, but only tinted lip balm on my lips!

• Unlikley Bride
    Rockstar July 2013
    Unlikley Bride ·
    • Hide content

Without a doubt, you should have your make-up how you like. I would only listen to my HTB's opinion on this and noone else.

• FaeBelle13
    Beginner April 2013
    FaeBelle13 ·
    • Hide content

I've seen quite a few brides with red lipstick and i think it looks fab. I wouldn't wear it personally because I never do so i would feel silly. But if you love it, and your OH does too, definitely go for it!

• xKellsBellsx
    Beginner December 2012
    xKellsBellsx ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yes, me too. I am even doing my own make-up because I don't trust anyone else to put enough on! and I know I would end up ading to whatever a make-up artist did!

• Aimee Hicks (Makeup HIB)
    Aimee Hicks (Makeup HIB) ·
    • Hide content

Wear what you feel comfortable and happy in. Brides now where from simple makeup to smokey eyes to red lipstick, nothing is really the 'norm' anymore. It all depends what suite you and what you like.

I wore smokey eyes and red lipstick for my wedding as that's me and it went with my dress.

Aimee x

• K
    Beginner September 2012
    KimB1980 ·
    • Hide content

Thank you ladies. Will have a play - I love make up so any excuse is great!

• Jen_P
    Dedicated August 2013
    Jen_P ·
    • Hide content

I'm having red lips! I think it can look gorgeous! Go with what suits you Smiley smile

• saspip
    Beginner May 2012
    saspip ·
    • Hide content

A friend of mine had red lipstick on her wedding day. SHe had a beautiful satin Hollywood-glamour style gown wth a brooch at the waist and it really suited the dress. She had red nails as well and I can remember her stressing about it in advance as she thought it would be "too much" but she looked stunning. Go with what you feel comfortable with.

• HLT
    Beginner August 2012
    HLT ·
    • Hide content

Im wearing red. I am wearing my favourite lipstick and the one I think suits me best.

• Juliet Cunnington (Makeup HIB)
    Juliet Cunnington (Makeup HIB) ·
    • Hide content

I echo what everyone has said. On your wedding day it's all about still looking like you but a more polished version. When I work on someone I always ask what their signature look is if they have one. If you wear red lipstick a lot wear it on your wedding day - it'll look gorgeous! Juliet

• Sparkly Bride
    Beginner August 2012
    Sparkly Bride ·
    • Hide content

I would say wear it! If its what your used to and what you love then do it. I like my eyes quite dark and worried people would think the same. Anyone who knows me, knows thats how I have always worn it like that, so will on my wedding day.

• hazyclaire
    Beginner November 2012
    hazyclaire ·
    • Hide content

This post is making me re-think my wedding make up now. I had all natural style for my trial, but if it wasn't for my mum and mua telling me to go for natural colours I would choose smokey eyes and cerise pink nails to match my BMs! I think that would be more 'me'...!

You should definitely go for red if you have some on your dress and it goes with your theme, it sounds fab

• Cheshire Hair and Beauty
    Beginner
    Cheshire Hair and Beauty ·
    • Hide content

Red lipstick for a bride can look fantastic! If its what you want and you feel happy and confident then you should have it for sure!!

Do be careful when selecting the tone of your lipstick, with pale skin you should opt for a cool blue toned red, this will also make your teeth appear whiter!! whereas warmer orangey red tones are generally better for olive or darker skins unfortunately this tone will make teeth appear more yellow.

If you are doing it yourself be careful to use primer, a well matched liner and to ensure the makeup lasts blot and reapply a few times!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics