Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Unlikley Bride
Rockstar July 2013

Regaine

Unlikley Bride, 8 March, 2013 at 10:49 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 13

My OH has been thinning on top now for about a year (we think!) and he recently bought some regaine when it was on offer.

However, after reading the side effects we've both decided that it's probably best to just let nature take it's course and hope that perhaps the thinning may stop.

Has anyone got any experience of regaine and/or hair loss?

The main things to put us off were more hair loss in the first 8 weeks and possible mood changes. My OH is the epitome of positive (hyper) and I don't think he would take well to something changing his mood.

His hair is gorgeous and I don't want him to lose it Smiley sad but I'd hate it if he did something for me that made the situation (which isn't really a problem) worse.

13 replies

Latest activity by Holey, 8 March, 2013 at 12:19
  • Unlikley Bride
    Rockstar July 2013
    Unlikley Bride ·
    • Hide content

OH is using this and has been for about 6 months - he's seen no improvement - he says.

I think to myself, have I stressed him out so much that he's losing his hair?! hahaha

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

My lovely Boy was destined for early baldness, and his island of not-quite-bald-but-now-fuzzy-down grows bigger by the day. It has been several years since he decided that it was time to start putting suncream on his head. He isn't bothered by it though and wouldn't ever try to stop/correct it. I get a real shock when I see younger pics of him with a full head of hair

It definitely looks far better with short hair. He keeps his closely clipped.

• Unlikley Bride
    Rockstar July 2013
    Unlikley Bride ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yes! OH had his hair cut last week and it does appear better.

I suppose length allows it to flop around showing where it's thinned.

I met OH at 16 and he had an obscene amount of hair on his head - he couldn't style it all.

I'll love him no matter what, but will miss his hair if he does lose it all.

• Unlikley Bride
    Rockstar July 2013
    Unlikley Bride ·
    • Hide content

So does my OH's, but OH's Mum said men take after their maternal Grandfather - he's bald on top! Smiley sad

• Unlikley Bride
    Rockstar July 2013
    Unlikley Bride ·
    • Hide content

Oh, I love it when ladies embrace greying and the hair has its own natural highlights. I bet they look really pretty.

• Unlikley Bride
    Rockstar July 2013
    Unlikley Bride ·
    • Hide content

JoJo can I recommend sulphate free shampoos - apparently they are so much healthier for the hair and scalp. I use one from boots that's £6 a bottle called Organix.

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

Male pattern baldness is linked to several genes, not all of them sex-linked.

However, the biggest player is an X gene. Boys get their single X from Mum, girls get an X from both Mum and Dad.

If Grandad is bald, he may carry the "baldie" version on his single X. He has to have passed this version to Mum. However, even if Grandad is not bald/doesn't carry, Mum may still inherit a "baldie" version from Grandma, who will have got it from Great Grandad, who will have been bald (still with me?).

Son will inherit his X chromosome from Mum. So if Mum carries a "baldie" version on one of her X chromosomes, Boy has a 50:50 chance of inheriting it. If Mum has "baldie" versions on both her X chromosomes, son will 100% inherit it. In this case, though, Mum will also exhibit signs of male pattern baldness.

So, it's not so straight forward as "Is Mum's Dad bald?". There is at least one gene on the Y chromosome that causes baldness (so Dad can pass it on to son) and a few others scattered around the genome, not linked to X or Y.

• Knees
    VIP August 2012
    Knees ·
    • Hide content

It's very interesting to read the science behind it Footlong as I'd also heard that it follows the maternal grandfather, although I had nothing to back it up.

My H has been thinning since his early twenties and now keeps it shaved close. Looks far better than men who keep their wispy, thin hair long because they think it makes them look less bald.

His maternal grandfather was completely bald, whereas his father and his paternal grandfather both have great heads of hair. If we have a boy, hopefully he'll end up following my dad who practically has an afro!

• Holey
    Beginner July 2011
    Holey ·
    • Hide content

No experience of Regaine I'm afraid although the side effects do sound quite scary.

I think my H would welcome his hair thinning a bit, he is so hairy!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics