Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Beginner August 2015

Registara fees

S2BMRSB, 12 of March of 2014 at 10:14 Posted on Planning 0 12

Ok so at long last we have found a venue we love! ? So so excited we have reserved our date, and I called the registrar yesterday to see if I could book the day and time with them which lucky I can (all coming together) my only surprise was the cost of the registrar! Its £475, now I don't honestly know why I never looked into or thought of this cost but I kind of thought it would be about £150-200. Am I silly? Are all registrars about this price?

Please can someone let me know what exactly I get for my money/ I know I have to pay it so not complaining about it I am just wondering why it's so much? Or does everyone think it is value for money?

Sorry I don't mean to sound negative I am very happy really!!!

12 replies

Latest activity by MrsACF, 14 of March of 2014 at 09:20
  • W
    Beginner December 2014
    WinterBride14 ·
    • Hide content

Ours is the same price. In reality it doesnt matter if its value for money or not, you've no choice but to pay it if you want to get married. I believe this also only gives you 1 copy of your marriage licence & if you want more copies, then you have to pay for them.

Welcome to the world of weddings where the minute you mention the W word, you instantly add on £00 !

• pammy67
    Beginner April 2015
    pammy67 ·
    • Hide content

Ditto

It's a lot of money but a no choice area unless you get wed at the Registry Office I'm afraid. I do understand why it's higher, they have to travel, they are out of their office for quite a long time, it needs two of them so when you think about all that it starts to make some sense. I find it quite interesting actually that we'll happily pay £000s for a venue, a dress etc all to get this piece of paper that means everything, yet we don't want to pay for that critical bit. I just find it interesting.

• S
    Beginner August 2015
    S2BMRSB ·
    • Hide content

Oh thanks I didn't realise two people have to do it. I did think they have to factor in transport but still thought it was high but as it is also two peoples time I guess its not bad really. Don't get me wrong I know I have to pay it and am not begrudging that I was just surprised by the cost. My own fault for not researching it when I originally did my budget! Hope that’s the only thing I have under budgeted for.?

• bliss_balloons
    bliss_balloons ·
    • Hide content

We've booked ours for a Sunday, which is the most expensive day they do. We're paying £480 which I did think was a lot but like most things there's probably a lot more involved than it looks.

• smokesignal
    Beginner August 2015
    smokesignal ·
    • Hide content

Okay, stupid question of the day: is the registrar the person that "does" the ceremony? My dad and granddad are both pastors, and I quite liked the idea of one of them doing it, so do I still need a registrar or is that covered? I didn't realise how expensive all the official legal stuff was!

• *Pugsley*
    Beginner March 2014
    *Pugsley* ·
    • Hide content

Ours was the same.

As well as all the admin, you're paying for their time.

Bare in mind it's a legal document too so there are processes to follow and it needs to be right.

• DrBuffles
    Beginner August 2014
    DrBuffles ·
    • Hide content

Ours is very similar to that. I am waiting til April when the new price is announced and I can pay it.

Don't forget the additional bits. we had to pay £20 over the phone to book the time and £70 to give notice. Plus out venue charges £150 plus VAT to give the registrar an office for the couple of hours they are there.

Just one of those things though unfortunately.

• pammy67
    Beginner April 2015
    pammy67 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

If you're having a civil ceremony then you're not allowed any religious references at all so it's unlikely they'd be allowed to do anything in the presence of the registrar. If you're getting married in a church then you don't have a registrar. The vicar or priest sorts all that out for you. Hth x

• H
    Beginner August 2014
    H3LEN ·
    • Hide content

We got a shock too. We paid £50 to hold the date £70 to give notice then it's £380 for the two of them to come out. We then have to pay the hotel £300 for the ceremony room.

• C
    Civil Ceremonies ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Not a stupid question at all.

A pastor can not be involved in a civil ceremony unless it is to do a reading which must not be religious. I would also expect the registrars to prevent a pastor doing a reading if wearing religious clothing such as a dog collar just in case anything could be misconstrued.

Both the staff attending will be Registrars although the celebrant will have the title Deputy/Superintendent Registrar and the person doing the writing will be Deputy/Registrar.

Your fees will cover clerical work behind the scenes before the ceremony and registrar work after the ceremony (back in the office) as well as the attendance and expenses.

The £35 notice fee is a statutory fee that the register office must charge and they have no say in that.

• Trish2014
    Beginner June 2014
    Trish2014 ·
    • Hide content

Ours is costing £430, not including the deposit and giving notice. I'm not complaining though because the lady who is marrying us I've known for long time and she's lovely. North Yorkshire has quite a few registry offices due to it's size and our registrar is not from the office that's closest to our venue so I wasn't even sure that she'd be able to do it. She'll be travelling for over an hour both ways to marry us and I just feel really happy that when we went to give notice, we asked her if she'd do it she said that as soon as she saw my name she put it in her diary!

• S
    Beginner July 2015
    stephers01 ·
    • Hide content

God ur all lucky!!! LLol ours is £680 and that's not even the price for next year as the new prices come out in April for 2015.

I too was surprised with the cost and nearly all the venues I went to when I asked if they knew about how much it cost they all said, about £300.

oh and our ceremony room hire is £500. Check this though, we don't even need a blooming room as we are having it outside (weather permitting of course) if not then the room we shall get married in is the same room for the wedding breakfast. So in theory ur just paying £500 for the staff to arrange chairs!!

Xxx

• M
    Beginner June 2014
    MrsACF ·
    • Hide content

Ours is £285 (that is to come out to the hotel) plus £4 each for certificate copies. This is in the Lake District.

It does seem to vary quite a lot, but I think ours is very resonable. Ours is weekday wedding but actually it is the same price on a Saturday too.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics