Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

L
Beginner

Register Office - is this normal?

LittleMountainGoat, 30 of April of 2015 at 09:41 Posted on Planning 0 8

Hello all,

So, my beloved and I have just started talking about actually ending our engagement of almost 10 years and doing the whole marriage thing instead. Yay!!!

We only want something small (ideally no guests at all, darn those pesky witness requirements! Now to decide which family members to offend...), and the Register Office in Cardiff seemed fine - apart from the fact that the nice, small office is only available Monday-Wednesday mornings. Is this normal? They have a bigger room for up to 65 people which is available on the weekends, but that's way too big for our needs, and as we've basically picked our honeymoon first (a lovely looking cruise, so dates for this aren't flexible...), I'd prefer not to go back to work for the few days between getting hitched and holidaying, and don't want to waste the precious Annual Leave allowance if I don't need to.

The Register Office looks ideal, because it is local, accessible and cheap. I don't want a big fairytale thing, and I generally look pretty daft in a dress as it is, so hiring some amazing venue would just be a waste and unnecessary expense. We don't have loads of money, and I'd rather spend the bulk of what we have on the honeymoon.

So yes, is it normal for a Register Office to just do early in the week? Do I need to go back to the drawing board on this one?

Thank you!

8 replies

Latest activity by Mrslh2b, 1 of May of 2015 at 12:39
  • MrsShep
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsShep ·
    • Hide content

From what I've seen from my time on hitched, yes, that seems pretty normal unfortunately. They save the weekends for people with guests I think!

• L
    Beginner
    LittleMountainGoat ·
    • Hide content

Drat, OK, thank you. Guess we may have to start looking for other places in that case... Watch this space!

• C
    Beginner July 2015
    celticcurl ·
    • Hide content

I would check out other registery offices in your area - they all have different rules. There is a smaller wedding (19 people) in my building before mine. It is a saturday. They have some really small rooms and no day restrictions on which you can book.

• H
    Beginner July 2016
    HeavyMetalMaiden ·
    • Hide content

Why not get married in a different county, I live in Powys and I am sure there will be a few smaller ones :-)

• L
    Beginner
    LittleMountainGoat ·
    • Hide content

Our problem with that is transport - if it's just the two of us and our mums for witnesses (I've only got my mum on my side, so that seems the fairest way of sorting people out) - none of us can drive ?. We both went to university in Aberystwyth (at different times) and somewhere like that would be lovely as we're both rather attached to the place, but getting my partially sighted mother and my physically disabled MIL there without a car would be a logistical nightmare (also my mum still is living in England, so there's geography issues too), they've never met, and I really don't think they'd get on, so if one would be able to go pretty much straight home rather than hang around for a hotel, that would be preferable!

Really would like to grab two randoms off the street and keep the families as far apart from us and each other as possible!!! It offends everyone that way, but would make planning much easier! [I haven't even discussed with my mother if she'd want to come, mind - she's still not too keen on the gay thing, though I've been with my partner for nearly 13 years now... I suppose if she doesn't that would make things easier in one sense, though it would upset me. Planning on talking it over this weekend.]

• halloweeny
    Beginner October 2013
    halloweeny ·
    • Hide content

If it's only you guys and your mums why don't you get married on a weekday? Who knows it may put your mum off coming which seems might be a good thing.

Or get a friend to drive you all to a registry office on a Saturday and then go out for a meal after with the friend.

You don't need to have people you know as witnesses. The Registry office can provide people for that.

• MrsShep
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsShep ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

lol, sorry, had to have a little chuckle at that line! Sounds a bit complicated, can your mum travel by train? Or do you have any other family/family friends that could bring her?

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yeah, I think that would be my solution. When we thought we were gonna have no guests, Gretna were gonna provide witnesses. Maybe you could do that and then take your mums out separately for tea or something to celebrate? I know that adds cost and travelling times on but it seems like it might be the best way to keep everyone happy.

• Mrslh2b
    Beginner August 2016
    Mrslh2b ·
    • Hide content

I know the registry office used to be next to the student union but where is it now? If it’s not in City Hall – why not try there? They’ve got lots of nice smaller rooms there and I’m sure they’d be available on the weekend?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics