Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

L
Beginner June 2017

registering intent to marry - help!

LuxuriousYellowCakes634, 17 of August of 2016 at 13:26 Posted on Planning 0 6

My fiance and I currently live in 2 different boroughs - does anyone know if we have to register intent at both boroughs? And do we both have to go to each borough, if so?

I've looked online at Gov.org and on my local council's webpage and neither were helpful. Phoning my council wasn't much more help either!

Thank you for any advice you can give.

6 replies

Latest activity by Much_ado_about_weddings, 20 of August of 2016 at 00:54
    Beginner November 2016
    1987RAF ·
    • Hide content

When you said you phones the local council, do you mean the local registry office, or the local council. If it was the former then they should know as I assume people have this kind of issue all the time. If you just called the local council number then try calling the registry office instead.

Its not much help with the question asked, but may give you some help with another avenue if you havent thought about it.

• jen-lou
    Super July 2016
    jen-lou ·
    • Hide content

As far as I know if you live in 2 different boroughs you will need to register with both and indicate where you intend to get married.

If you contact either registrar office they will be able to advise, it is not really down to the council.

• kizzi10000
    Beginner August 2016
    kizzi10000 ·
    • Hide content

Are you both in the same county? You each have to give notice in the county in which you live, at your nearest registry office that allows it. For us that was me in Hampshire and the OH in West Sussex, even though we are getting married in Wiltshire. Each registry office then sent all the details to Wiltshire.

You should find details for offices and ceremonies etc on your councils website. I can't remember if you can go along to his appointment, and vice versa (you can do a joint one if you're in the same pace), or if they prefer to see you separately, but it's simple enough.

• Chapples
    Beginner June 2017
    Chapples ·
    • Hide content

We're getting married in Herts but live in Beds, so we had to:

1 - ring Herts to secure our date / time

2 - make an appointment to visit our nearest registry office in Beds to show paperwork & pay our £35 each etc

3 - notice was given for 28 days or whatever it is in Beds

4 - we still need to make an appointment at the registry office in Herts where the registrar will be travelling from about 8-10 weeks before the wedding, to pay the balance owed & run through vow/song choice etc I believe (not got this far yet!).

Hope that helps! Smiley smile

• L
    Beginner July 2017
    LuxuriousIvoryDiamonds550 ·
    • Hide content

From what I was told by my local registry office when I rang to make the appointment for me and my partner to give notice was that if we both lived at the same address we would only need to inform the registry office most local too us. If we had lived at different addresses we would of needed to inform both of our local registry offices if we lived further enough apart to have two different local registry offices. I hope that makes sense ? X

• Ginguar
    Beginner May 1975
    Ginguar ·
    • Hide content

Each person needs to give notice at their local registry office. I believe some let you do it together.

you do not need to both go to each and in fact ours made us do it separately I.e. Oh had to leave the room while I gave notice and vice versa.

contact you local registry office and his and they'll let you know what they need.

• M
    Beginner July 2017
    Much_ado_about_weddings ·
    • Hide content

I'm in this exact same situation and have just done this!

First step is book a registrar for your ceremony in the location you're getting married (the registrars closest to your venue location).

Then to give notice you have to do that at the one in the area in which you love. If you live separately, in different areas, you'll give notice separately. Make sure you have your partner's address as they might ask you for it. You need to make an appointment to give notice. Do this by calling your nearest borough council and booking one. Be aware that some borough councils have a long waiting list: although I arranged an appointment for 3 days later, my fiancé. has to wait two months for his!! Take proof of ID and address (driving licence and passport is perfect) when you go.

Hope that helps!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics