Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Laura
Beginner July 2022 Surrey

Registrar and celebrant?

Laura, 5 of August of 2021 at 09:53 Posted on Planning 2 6
Has anyone else considered having a registrar and a celebrant for their wedding? Is this even possible? My fiancé and I are getting married in July 2022 in a barn venue, and I have booked a registrar to conduct the ceremony. However, I keep thinking that a celebrant would be a nicer ceremony as with registrars they just give you the rinse and repeat service and you don’t even meet them before the day. I have considered having a celebrant only and getting legally married prior to our big day, but that also feels wrong - I want the date on our marriage certificate to match the day we had our celebration. Has anyone else booked both, or having similar thoughts? Thanks in advance.

6 replies

Latest activity by Anonbride, 7 of September of 2022 at 15:20
  • PhotographybyBillHaddon
    Super January 3000 Leicestershire
    PhotographybyBillHaddon ·
    • Hide content

Never seen it done like that on the same day at the same venue but I have photographed one where the celebrant led part was a pagan handfasting ceremony by a pagan priest out on the lawns surrounded by trees with all the guests in a circle. So it was very different from the ceremony inside 15 mins ago. Which I think may be an issue for you with some guests possibly thinking "what's the point in doing it twice"

I would suggest an option for you would be to have the "official" ceremony earlier at the venue with just close family before all the guests arrive and then have the celebrant lead ceremony later. That way as far as the guests are concerend it will be the main ceremony and you could also keep your traditional entrance and so on.

For the earlier ceremony you get any close family photos done then and save time later.

• R
    Savvy May 2022 South West London
    Rosie ·
    • Hide content

Had been thinking about doing this for ours next year and I've read that it is technically possible in our borough (where we both live and are getting married), but definitely the more expensive route. To achieve this now we'd also have to move the timing of our registrar to earlier in the day and I don't know if it's worth it or possible without incurring a cost. We're giving notice in October so will ask the necessary Qs then. If we can't make a switch then I'll be requesting to fill out the ceremony with the registrars with music and readings from family instead to make it more personal.

It's the only thing I wish I had known more about before spending the money on the registrar and they sure don't make it obvious that you have choices.

• PhotographybyBillHaddon
    Super January 3000 Leicestershire
    PhotographybyBillHaddon ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

"I'll be requesting to fill out the ceremony with the registrars with music and readings from family instead to make it more personal."

That is a great way to personalise it - you can also write your own vows - so long as the contractual words have been said before or after.

But just a little heads up for you. The registrars usually will have time limits as to how long they spend with you so be sure to check that with them. If it is not a busy time and they do not have another wedding after yours then they will be more relaxed about it.

• R
    Savvy May 2022 South West London
    Rosie ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I agree, it’s all about the time. Where we live I have a general sense of timings / necessities so am pretty sure we can fit in what we’d like. After all they have to approve the extra filler stuff in advance so we would know with ample time to change things if considered too long by the registrars office.
  • Chelsea
    Beginner October 2022 Surrey
    Chelsea ·
    • Hide content
    How did you get on? We’re hoping that we can have just the legalities done with the registrar at our venue so just the basic script and then have our celebrant marry us with vows and readings afterwards.
  • A
    Expert July 2023 Cornwall
    Anonbride ·
    • Hide content

We're doing our legal bit early so we can have our friend as celebrant (we've been calling him our officiant even though it's not official lol) - I was initially against it but got my mind changed by others who have done it! They said these things that convinced us/mainly me as FH was already chill about it that it would actually be really lovely...

Pros:

Takes the stress out of the wedding day because you're already married, no drama if you slightly mess up your words, no paranoia of being jilted

My mum's going to walk me down the mini aisle for the legal one so she feels special and gets to do the dad role too

Good excuse to get a nice pretty dress for the legal one (not spending wedding dress money again though but going for something very rewearable!)

You can use your "almost went for" songs

You can buy a supermarket (or fancier if you like) bouquet of flowers in your "almost went for" colour scheme

Nice outing for immediate family/whoever your witnesses are to sign the papers and go for a lunch or dinner after

Officiant can be whoever you like with whatever vibe you like

No awkward stopping part way through the ceremony do read the paperwork and do the signing which keeps the flow and vibe on point

And my favourite... "getting married is fun, so if you're only going to get married once then why not get married twice!"

Cons:

The day on your certificate isn't the same as the day of your celebration. We're actually erring on going for our current anniversary for our legal one so it sort of signals the end of that anniversary and then the main wedding day will become our new anniversary)

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics