Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

H
Expert September 2019

Registrar confusion

Have_you_met_Mrs_Jones2019, 16 of March of 2018 at 10:24 Posted on Planning 0 4

Hi,

Looking for advice from people who have booked their registrar already...

We're looking to book our venue in the next few weeks, and the chances are it will be an unlicensed venue, so wewill need to get legally married at a regidtry office beforehand.

What I am finding confusing is the costs...

So it's around the £50 mark for the statutory thing, with bride, groom + 2 witnesses, and around £200 to do it in a room if we want to have a few more people there (e.g. parents).

However, no council website makes it clear if that includes the registrar fees! They seem to skim over it, just saying 'and don't forget to book your registrar'.

Is this an additional cost, if so how much? And would the registry office ensure that someone is free for the day that we book?

Also, we're assuming that if we're legally already married, we wouldn't actually need a registrar or celebrant to do our ceremony on the day? We were thinking it might be nice to have a friend perform it.

Thanks in advance! Smiley smile X

4 replies

Latest activity by Have_you_met_Mrs_Jones2019, 17 of March of 2018 at 16:09
  • H
    Expert September 2019
    Have_you_met_Mrs_Jones2019 ·
    • Hide content

Upon second reading, I think I understand a bit more...

It seems like if we get married in the council house/registry office itself, the registrar is included in the cost of the room (£50 or £200), but if we need them to travel to an approved venue, then you pay the separate registrar fee... Does that sound right?!

Thanks! X

• Paula @ Ollievision
    Paula @ Ollievision ·
    • Hide content

My understanding is that the £50 registration only fee covers the whole thing.

If you go down that route then you don't book a registrar at all for the wedding day. You'd use an independent celebrant or have a friend do it. If you're religious any church minister could do it.

• H
    Beginner May 2019
    HappyGoldCakes14475 ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

We've booked a registrar to come to our venue which was £620!! the £50 is for the statutory and the £200 (or £280 in our case) is if you have a different room with more people and a slightly longer service than the "statutory".

The costs all include the actual registrar and a certificate of marriage i believe (or is an additional £10 in some cases)

i think someone mentioned celebrants and i really like the idea. you can do the statutory legal bit a few days before and then have someone perform a non-legal ceremony/celebration in front of family and friends at your venue (if they allow it).

oh also, for our registry office the statutory ceremony is only available on a Tuesday morning, a lot of places restrict it so check what days they offer :-)

• S
    Curious August 2018
    SpecialEdition1987 ·
    • Hide content

£50 is the statutory fee for a simple Register Office ceremony. How the individual Register Office offers it is up to them.

Some offices it's just an office for Bride, groom and the 2 witnesses.

Any fees for a registrar to attend a licenced venue are set by local government.

• H
    Expert September 2019
    Have_you_met_Mrs_Jones2019 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks everyone, that makes a lot more sense!

I think if we go for an unlicensed venue, we will do the registry office quietly, and maybe get a celebrant to do a handfasting ceremony on the actual day.

Actually quite excited to do something a little different!

Thanks all! X

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics