Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B

Registrar Fees!!!???

10 November, 2010 at 14:23 Posted on Planning 0 58

Hiya every1, ?

I was talking to my friend yday about the wedding and she asked if id given my notice yet!?? i was like what notice,to who?! and she was on about the registrar.

Just had a quick look about what we need to do as i thought the registrar came included in with the venue,as we were told,when booking it that the ceremony was icluded in price so thinking that the registrar was aswell! Coinsidently i just had a phone call from our venue and our wedding planner asked if we had a time for the ceremony yet,when replying that i didnt know yet,she then informs me that we need to get in touch with the registrar and book it!! i cant belive it,especially when we have to pay extra for the registrar and we havnt budgeted for it! ?

58 replies

Latest activity by Strippy2011, 16 November, 2010 at 23:44
  • A
    Beginner August 2011
    amythest76 ·
    • Hide content

Not sure what area you live in but we had to book ours a yr in advance and were told the chances of getting one with less than 12 months notice in august on a saturday were pretty slim..I think ours cost around £450 (only £95 if you use the registry office!!)

• L
    Beginner June 2011
    little_miss ·
    • Hide content

You need to ring you local registry office to book them in for a time on your chosen day. You and your OH will then need to make an appt to go in and give notice. We have to pay about £67 when we did this.

We will then have to go back in a couple of months before the wedding and pay about another £350.

• ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content

It gets even more complicated if you don't live in the area you're getting married.

I live in London, my b2b lives in Surrey, and we're getting married down in the New Forest.

We had to book the registrar in the venue's district first (Ringwood), with a time, then we both have to give notice separately in our respective districts (mine is local but she has to go all the way to Guildford) and once Ringwood has received both sets of paperwork from us (yes, we have to pay £35 three times) they send us the information so we can 'build our ceremony' and, I assume, pay the balance owing to them at some point.

My appointment is monday afternoon, she hasn't made hers yet, but as we've confirmed the date first with Ringwood and we're not getting married till September 2011 we don't have a mega rush - but it sounds like you need to book your time on your chosen date fairly soon otherwise you may have no choice but to change the date.

Again, saturday in a licensed venue is costing us about £430 plus the three filing fees.

What is your date?

• judeclarke
    Beginner October 2011
    judeclarke ·
    • Hide content

The venue co-ordiantor should have told you about booking a registrar if they don't do it for you. My venue notified the registrar, they contacted us with details of what the steps are. But each county is different it seems, and the costs are different too. Expect to pay a booking fee of £50, legal notice fee of £30-40 each, then £400+ for the registrars to come and officiate and do the ceremony. Kent seems to be the most expensive at nearly £700 when you add it all up! But they do gurantee to have someone available if you give them at least 6 weeks notice, so we don't have an issue with avalability like some other counties do.

• L
    Beginner December 2012
    lilsparkle ·
    • Hide content

We provisionally booked the date with our venue, then we were told to contact the registrar to make sure they could attend on this date to perform a ceremony and choose a time. we then had to pay £25 to reserve the date £33.50 each when we gave notice and £270 two month s before the date. The venue doesn't charge for the ceremony same as yours.

we booked in february for our december wedding so less than 12 months notice but we are getting married on a friday and only had 2 times to choose from left 11.30 am and 3.30pm luckily we wanted 3pm anyway so were happy with half an hour later.

I hope you can get everything sorted for the date you want

• ashlil
    Beginner February 2011
    ashlil ·
    • Hide content

Ooopsss...!

not sure when your date is but you better call them pronto.

I booked our venue and they told us that they wouldnt charge us for the Ceremony ROOM but to arrange the registrar.

we phoned and booked with a year in advance £25 deposit - then when we gave notice to the registrar in April we paid £67 to do this and then we have just paid the registrar the outstanding balance with 3 months to go of £438 total £463 plus the notice fee.

its a total rip off, if we did it at the registry office it would have been less than £100.

But you do need to arrange this very quickly..!!

• ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I would tend to agree - however remember that you're paying for 'off site' work so you not only need to factor in travelling costs, but also that they are supplying two registrars (one to do the ceremony, one to fill in the paperwork, don't know why) and in the time they're taking to come to you, do you and return they could perhaps have done half a dozen services at the registry office 'conveyor belt' similar to cremations where often the next family are waiting outside to go in as the one in are being ushered out.

I don't like paying £400 more for the 'privilege' of having a ceremony in a venue of our choosing either - but it seems that it's one of those things you just have to "suck up and deal with" unfortunately.

• H
    Beginner July 2010
    hughef36 ·
    • Hide content

Book as soon as possible i booked with 11 months to go and had a nightmare i changed date and time about 4 times i was back and forth with the hotel and registry offic. im in bolton and paid 33pound each for bands read and 300pound for the service. i realy hope they are free for you good luck.

• B
    Beginner July 2010
    brideseekingblush ·
    • Hide content

Call the one for your area and check that they are free on the day/reserve it. Then you and H2B need to give notice in the area that you live in if it's different to where you're having the wedding. Our registrar would only confirm once they'd received the notices from our local registry office - I had to take the paperwork between the two different offices!

• Little Madam
    Beginner
    Little Madam ·
    • Hide content

I am very glad that you got it sorted.

And.., VERY jealous of your venue!! I used to go there as a child.

• Little Pixie
    Beginner September 2011
    Little Pixie ·
    • Hide content

I live in Cheshire and we are having to pay £600 for a Saturday wedding. I think it's about 400 on a week day too. We paid a £50 deposit and then £33.50 each when we gave notice.

Madness! I think I may be in the wrong job!

• sarahjolley
    Beginner September 2012
    sarahjolley ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

OMG I am getting married in Cheshire, cant believe its that expensive on a saturday!!!!

• Little Pixie
    Beginner September 2011
    Little Pixie ·
    • Hide content

I didn't realise either and we had a massive panic about it but thank god my lovely, lovely Dad has offered to pay for it otherwise we would be in serious trouble.

You should be able to find out prices from your council website. Prepare yourself ! ?

• sarahjolley
    Beginner September 2012
    sarahjolley ·
    • Hide content

Think i am being thick but i cant find out what area lymm is classified as and which council it belongs to!!!!

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content

Yay & Phew!

Have they given you a ceremony time? Just wanted to check as although they may still be available, it could be 11am or 5pm that they have left???

• Little Pixie
    Beginner September 2011
    Little Pixie ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Lymm near warrington? What is your venue?

• Little Madam
    Beginner
    Little Madam ·
    • Hide content

Aw I think i'd be tempted to pay and take the risk!

Is it something that you could decide on the day or within 5 days (when you have a fairly accurate weather report) or do they need to know now sort of thing?

• sarahjolley
    Beginner September 2012
    sarahjolley ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yeah its called statham lodge

• Little Madam
    Beginner
    Little Madam ·
    • Hide content

Might be worth a quick call?

My goodness the pics would look fab! It would be like having a Rock the Frock shoot but on the actual day.

• Little Pixie
    Beginner September 2011
    Little Pixie ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I think it may come under Warrington Council so...............

Fees

Notice of marriage or civil partnership - £33.50 each

Wedding or civil partnership at approved premises - From 1 April 2010- 31 March 2011

Monday - Thursday £286.50

Friday and Saturday £307.00

Sunday £348.50

One copy of your marriage certificate: £3.50 (included in above prices)

• sarahjolley
    Beginner September 2012
    sarahjolley ·
    • Hide content

Thanks so much Dion ur a star!!!!

Where are u getting married?? x

• Little Pixie
    Beginner September 2011
    Little Pixie ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

You are more than welcome! I am getting married at a place called Hill Top County House near Prestbury. ?

• sarahjolley
    Beginner September 2012
    sarahjolley ·
    • Hide content

That was on my list but due to no piccys of the ceremony area online it was at bottom of list and never got round to seeing it. But the surroundings look amazing x

• Little Pixie
    Beginner September 2011
    Little Pixie ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yes they had no pics when we booked but we took a chance as the poeple that own it are lovely and they have no set packages so they are really flexible on what you have and build you a tailor made wedding. They have lots of pics on there now and we are really glad we booked there. They put no pressure on us to book and we can pop up anytime for a chat and a glass of vino. They make you feel part of the family. It was a risk though!

• Little Pixie
    Beginner September 2011
    Little Pixie ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yes they had no pics when we booked but we took a chance as the poeple that own it are lovely and they have no set packages so they are really flexible on what you have and build you a tailor made wedding. They have lots of pics on there now and we are really glad we booked there. They put no pressure on us to book and we can pop up anytime for a chat and a glass of vino. They make you feel part of the family. It was a risk though!

• C
    Civil Ceremonies ·
    • Hide content

I think you may have been given the price for a Register Office marriage by mistake - that's £43.50. Unless they also charge a booking fee of £43.50 but that would be too coincidental methinks and quite confusing for them I would imagine. The fees for approved premises are usually upwards of £300 for a Saturday. I think you had better check.

• C
    Civil Ceremonies ·
    • Hide content

Dion

If only! Believe me the registrars don't get that money it all goes into the council's coffers.

• Mrs G to be
    Beginner May 2011
    Mrs G to be ·
    • Hide content

There's always something that comes up and you havent budgeted for (I'm finding this constantly!!)

Our fees are £303 and £3.50 for the certificate. Best to get booked in straight away so you can get the registrar for the time you want, We booked ours a yr in advanced and couldnt get the time we wanted. x

• L
    Beginner May 2012
    LizzyB ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I agree. Does sound like a mix up. Just had a look on the Shropshire website and it says:

"Getting married at the Shropshire Register Office or in any of the Registration Service ceremony rooms situated in Ludlow, Oswestry, Wem, Bridgnorth and Bishop's Castle

Notice of marriage (fee per person): £33.50

Fee payable one month before the ceremony: £40.00

Marriage certificate at time of registration (cost per certificate) £3.50

Getting married at an approved venue in Shropshire

Notice of marriage (fee per person): £33.50

Fee payable one month before the ceremony
    For marriages taking place on:
    Monday to Friday: £280.00 + £3.50 (per certificate)
    Saturday: £305.00 + £3.50 (per certificate)
    Sunday or Bank Holiday (excluding Christmas Day and Good Friday): £350.00 + £3.50 (per certificate)

Marriage certificate at time of registration (cost per certificate): £3.50"

Think you had better check with the registrar again.

• Strippy2011
    Beginner June 2011
    Strippy2011 ·
    • Hide content

:o Chrissy - your profile pic...is that your dress?! when you getting married?!

Thats my dress too Smiley smile x

• L
    Beginner May 2012
    LizzyB ·
    • Hide content

I hope he has given you the right info and you can get piece of mind. I bet this is stress that you could definitley do without!!

Let us know how you get on

• Strippy2011
    Beginner June 2011
    Strippy2011 ·
    • Hide content

Yayy!! Love it! It is a STUNNING dress -Natty89 had the same dress too. You getting it from ASAPBAY?! How far away is your day?! xx

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics