Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

C
Beginner October 2012

Registrar or celebrant

catjones81, 3 February, 2012 at 11:52 Posted on Planning 0 3

So after looking at lots of venues and either not liking them or finding they didn't have the dates available that we needed we finally found a venue that was perfect. When I rang the registrar to book them I was told the only times they had free on our date was 12:30. This seems too early to me as the ceremony and reception are both in the same place. What does anyone else think? Any suggestions for padding things out so guests don't get bored of hanging around?

Then I had another idea. We could have the legal formalities done at registry office the day before and then have a celebrant perform our ceremony on the day (still to include exchanging of rings/vows etc.). This would mean we could have it at the time we wanted and I also thought that maybe the ceremony would be more personal. Has anyone used a celebrant at their wedding or been to a wedding that has? My fiance isn't that keen on the idea so I want to get some others people's views as neither of us has ever seen a celebrant.

Thanks

Catherine

3 replies

Latest activity by annie2000, 3 February, 2012 at 13:15
  • N
    Beginner June 2012
    Nicalf08 ·
    • Hide content

No idea about the celebrant so can't help with that. I think 12:30 is an ok time to get married, it seems a popular time but as you are all in one venue maybe you could have some outdoor games if the weather is nice...? Or have some kind of entertainment inside depending in budget eg. Singer, band, magician (!) not sure what else...

• D
    Beginner May 2012
    dlees81 ·
    • Hide content

If you're both comfortable with it why not. Personally I would just see it as extra expense. I think a 12.30 start is ok really, although if you were planning a late finish you may be very jaded at the end! You should be able to jiggle around the reception times around a bit to suit.

• Big Apple
    Beginner February 2013
    Big Apple ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This is what we're doing, although we're going to the registry office on the morning of the wedding (the date is very special to us and we wanted everything on the one day) We chose a humanist ceremony because it is a lot more personal as you write the whole thing and there are no legalities as to how it needs to be done. it would be worth doing a bit of research about humanist weddings, the British humanist website is useful [View:http://www.humanism.org.uk/ceremonies/humanist-weddings:550:0], or conatct a celebrant who is in your area, search for one using the previous link. They can talk you through what the ceremony is, how it can work for you and if it is appropriate.

If you have any more questions etc. just ask ?

• A
    Beginner August 2013
    annie2000 ·
    • Hide content

We are having a humanist celebrant perform our wedding, and then will go and do the legal bits a day or two afterwards. I love this idea as it makes your wedding so much more personal, there are no restrictions on what you can and can't have/say/do. We are able to write as much of our ceremony as we choose ourselves with her guidance. It is more expensive than a registrar but I think its worth it.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics