Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

I
Savvy August 2022 West Midlands

Registrar question

Iyana, 20 of November of 2020 at 20:26 Posted on Planning 1 5
This may be a silly question but for the life of me I just can't wrap my head around it.

My wedding isn't until august 2022 so am I able to book a registrar now? Or do I have to wait until 12 months prior, do the notice of marriage and then book a registrar?
I dont get why am finding this so hard to understand lol

5 replies

Latest activity by Wedding DJ, 28 of November of 2020 at 15:23
  • Charlotte
    Dedicated February 2022 South East London
    Charlotte ·
    • Hide content
    There are two things you need to do, usually in this order:
    1. Book a registrar with the local authority where you are getting married
    2. Give notice with the local authority where you live (may or may not be the same) no less than 2 months and no more than 12 months before the weddingIf you live in separate local authority areas, the person you are marrying will have to give notice to their local authority (fiancé and I live together, so are doing it together).
    I assume you have a venue. Our venue advised us to book the registrar before confirming the date.
    We booked our registrar in September 2020 and are getting married February 2022, so we need to give notice (to a different local authority) somewhere between February and December 2021.
    Also it’s costing nearly £700 (varies depending on location) for the registrar and will be an addition £35 each (I think this is a set price) to give notice.
    Hope that’s helpful.
  • A
    Beginner March 2022 Central & Glasgow
    Ana ·
    • Hide content
    Hi, congratulations on your upcoming wedding!

I'm getting married on March 2022 and manged to get a head start with the most important details including booking registrar for my wedding. We have put a provisional booking date for the registrar and still have to pay the £350 to secure the date not including extra costs. The latest you should apply for marriage notice is roughly 3 months before the wedding ( 6 to 10 weeks) because is only valid 12 months from the time you give notice. So book the registrar first and wait until closer to the day to put marriage notice is my advice. You should also call your local council to get free info about registrars and marriage notices
  • I
    Iyana ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you, so helpful xx
  • I
    Iyana ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Ah okay, thats great Thank you hun x
  • Wedding DJ
    Wedding DJ ·
    • Hide content

If you are getting a licensed wedding venue, they often have special arrangements with local registrar office where they can reserve a registrar for you more than 12 months in advance.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics