Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Mrs P 2 B
Beginner January 2012

Registrar said no!!

Mrs P 2 B, 29 January, 2012 at 09:06 Posted on Planning 0 21

So there i was sat in tears in the registrars office yesterday I was so fed up and frustrated!! We seem to be getting no's at so many points to this wedding stuff!!

History; we are getting married in a RC where my parents live however the priest say he wouldn't marry us as we don't live in this parish but we could use the church and bring a priest.. queue problem number two.. finding a priest who will to do this for us.. we found him and hes brilliant so very happy and we attend this church.. Then called and booked appointment with registar who said we needed a letter for the priest.. explained the above i.e not getting married in our area and the priest is coming with us.. yeah no problem they said.

So we happily trot off there yesterday.. very excited and this woman who can only be descried as a patronizing ? (hehe) sits there and say's well you two can't get married in the church as you don't worship there!! Well no we don't as we don't live in the area!! So i calm explained (as calmly as i could!!) that we told the person on the phone this and they said to bring a letter from the priest who's marrying you.. we did this and she said ' well they just answer the phone.. they don't know about marriage law' ... well durrrrr.. maybe they should if they are advising people!!

So the bottom line is i now need to move back to my folks for 9 days in order to get married in the church and get a bank statement sent there!! Grrr is so frustrating!!

21 replies

Latest activity by tracy P, 1 February, 2012 at 23:50
  • Blonde Viki
    Beginner July 2012
    Blonde Viki ·
    • Hide content

I'm sorry that I don't understand anything about your situation so can't give any advice, but I hope it all gets sorted out soon and with minimum more stress for you! It sounds like a very frustrating situation!!

• Mrs P 2 B
    Beginner January 2012
    Mrs P 2 B ·
    • Hide content

Hey blonde viki, thank you.. just needed a rant really!! Its a weird situation.. the registrar said she's never come across this issue in the past 4 yrs!! More problems now the better the day OH keeps telling me!!

• Gurzle
    Beginner April 2013
    Gurzle ·
    • Hide content

Ah MrsP2B this is so annoying! Do you actually need to move home, can't you just change your address at the bank and pretend?

And your partner is right I guess - at least you're getting it all out of the way now. I think you were a bit unlucky with your registrar and Priest, too - they both sound like they were a bit inflexible about things. I mean, if you are a regular church goer and a fully committed member of the Church, I can't see the problem really, I think the Priest could have made an exception and married you himself. And I find it hard to believe that a registrar has NEVER come across this situation before - she sounds like she was a teensy bit smug, which always makes a difficult situation worse!

Try not to let it stress you out - you sound like you are finding really practical solutions to every problem! Nothing's stopping you two!

• Blonde Viki
    Beginner July 2012
    Blonde Viki ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

heh heh I like this way of looking at it! I'm glad there seems to be a way around it, even it annoying involves moving in with M&D for a bit, it will all be worth it in the end Smiley smile

• emze2011
    Beginner September 2013
    emze2011 ·
    • Hide content

Hi, i don't know anything about your church rules, but i do know when it comes to certain catchment areas for schools no one ever really moves! only on paper! go to the bank, tell them your change of address then go back home and dont worry! Our best man lives next door to a 5 bedroom totaly empty house, brought by a family who wanted to go to the catchment school in the houses area but didn't really want to move there, wrong or not it certainly won't be hurting anyone in your case.

• T
    Beginner
    Teal ·
    • Hide content

What are frustration you dont need!

I'd change the address on 1 of your bank statements & leave it at that.

It makes me wonder if the priest at the church you are using has mentioned the 'dontation' fee for using the church? If you are simply using the premises & not the priest also, do you have the pay the usual 'donation' or a reduced rate. (I'd be inclined to pay a reduced rate afterwards anyway for them causing the problem in the first place!) Do you also need to 'donate' to the priest that is actually marrying you?

• pandorasbox
    Beginner August 2012
    pandorasbox ·
    • Hide content

That is so irritating! I can see why they want to make sure you are regular worshippers at a church, but if you have a letter and everything I don't understand why they would be so awkward about it. I hope you can get it sorted.

• leni-lw!
    Beginner November 2011
    leni-lw! ·
    • Hide content

The church we got married at wasnt our parish one- but the vicar just put it down anyhow that i was living at home with the folks- but i was baptised at this parish so i dont know if that held any brownie points- good luck Smiley smile

• K
    Beginner July 2012
    kittypuss85 ·
    • Hide content

I dont understand - I assume when you say registrar you dont mean as in council approved that you'd use at a registry office, but you mean someone church related?

We are getting married in a church which isn't our parish, and all we have to do is make sure the banns are read out in both parishes.

• A
    Beginner June 2012
    adiesummer2012 ·
    • Hide content

I'm confused too. Did you go the registrar for the council where you live, or the council you're getting married in?

You have to give notice and get your marriage certificate from the council in which you live, but they should have absolutely no issue with you getting married in a different location, where you worship is nothing to do with them or the law. The only reason you'd have to live at your parents for 9 days is if for some reason you needed your marriage certificate from the council you're getting married in.

• Gurzle
    Beginner April 2013
    Gurzle ·
    • Hide content

If you get married in a Catholic Church, you need to get a registrar too, as only ministers of the Church of England can act as a registrar in England Catholic Priests cannot, so she would have had to go to the council to arrange this

• K
    Beginner July 2012
    kittypuss85 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ah, ok - as they say, you learn something new every day!

• Gurzle
    Beginner April 2013
    Gurzle ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I learnt this from Hitched too! ?

• C
    Civil Ceremonies ·
    • Hide content

Just to put a few things straight.

In E & W, any other denomination than CofE or W gives notice at the register office. A registrar is only required from there if there is no authorised person for the religious building in which you marry. This could be the catholic priest, baptist minister etc or even a member of the congregation if they are authorised.

If you are not getting married in a church/chapel etc within your registration district then it should be the usual place of worship for either/both of you, so in that respect it is the business of the registrar!

You will be asked to sign a legal declaration that you have told the truth!

Alternatively you can take up residence in the district in which you will be married and on the 9th day you can give notice.

• A
    Beginner June 2012
    adiesummer2012 ·
    • Hide content

But you can say it is neither of your usual place of worship in the meeting with the registrar. What if you don't normally go to church but when you do, it's at your parents? Then that is your 'usual' place of worship whether or not it's in your district. It only matters if the priest of that church has a problem with it, otherwise you can get married in any church you like. The only issue is you have to register in the district in which you live (or in which you have spent 9 days if you want to do it that way for the priest to see that you're normally there) so that objections can be made there.

• J
    Beginner
    jonssmith2 ·
    • Hide content

Why registrar said .

no. he is happy.

hotels daytona beach shores

• Flawless Weddings
    Flawless Weddings ·
    • Hide content

In this day and age i think that law is ridiculously old fashioned!

I think that would put me off getting married in church. The expense alone for both a church and a registrar makes you pale!

• Mrs P 2 B
    Beginner January 2012
    Mrs P 2 B ·
    • Hide content

Thank you for all your replies!! I totally agree rose&co i can live anywhere but can't get married anywhere!! so annoying and old fashion law!!!

Onwards and upwards.. back home it is.. at least mums cooking is good ?

• Mrs P 2 B
    Beginner January 2012
    Mrs P 2 B ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yep there a reduced £400+ fee for the church then organist and choir added on top. Then yes we will give a donation to the priest marrying us (tho don't mind this bit as he's our parish priest)

• Mrs P 2 B
    Beginner January 2012
    Mrs P 2 B ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yep there a reduced £400+ fee for the church then organist and choir added on top. Then yes we will give a donation to the priest marrying us (tho don't mind this bit as he's our parish priest)

• C
    Civil Ceremonies ·
    • Hide content

If you say that it is neither of your place of worship then you wouldn't be able to give notice.

If you do go to the church when you are at your parents house and do not go anywhere else at any other time then that is your usual place of worship.

• T
    Beginner January 2015
    tracy P ·
    • Hide content

Sorry to hear that it is so difficult to get married in England. My advice- marry in scotland any time any where by anyone. no problems. A little extreme perhaps but worth a thought.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics