Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

carter89
Beginner May 2013

Registry office

carter89, 23 March, 2013 at 16:37 Posted on Planning 0 6

Hello, we are getting married in Greece in May and now circumstances have changed and my mum can't make it. She suggested having a type of renewing/blessing when we come home so that she and my other family members that can't make it can come, does anyone know how much this will cost? And also do you know what the latest time slot is you can have?

thank you x

6 replies

Latest activity by Teal, 24 March, 2013 at 19:43
  • *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content

Hello!

Am I right in thinking you are legally getting married in Greece?

If this is the case there is no need to restrict yourself to the registry office (if you already did the legal bit in Greece)

You could hire a humanist celebrant and have a 'blessing/renewal ceremony' anywhere you like (doesn't even need to be a licensed venue so could even have it in your back garden etc)

https://humanists.uk/ceremonies/home/

• mum-wants-a-hat
    Beginner June 2013
    mum-wants-a-hat ·
    • Hide content

Hi. I may be wrong, but as it would be a blessing and no legalities involved, I don't think times are an issue xx

• snow bride
    Beginner June 2016
    snow bride ·
    • Hide content

You could just do a 'fake' ceremony where a friend conducts the ceremony back in the UK Smiley smile

I know of someone who did the legal bit in the registry office with just their parents and siblings and then went to a gorgeous location (that didn't have a lisence) and had a full ceremony that was conducted by a friend of them. It was just a fake ceremony where they said their own vows (they could say anything they wanted!) but with all their friends and family present Smiley smile

I must admit I have been tempted!

• carter89
    Beginner May 2013
    carter89 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for your ideas Smiley smile xx

• Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon
    Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon ·
    • Hide content

I have shot a "wedding" before that was actually a blessing.

The Bride and Groom were already legally married aboard and only very close family knew. As far as the guests were aware they were seeing a wedding as it looked to them just the same- groom top of aisle, Bride and Dad arrive -Bridesmaids, ushers everything.

I dont know their personal reasons but somtimes people will get married abroad and then Mums and Dads somtimes feel short changed about not having the big wedding and then push for it. (not your case), but that is what can happen

• BlossomJ
    Beginner July 2014
    BlossomJ ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I know some people get married in "secret" at the registry office and then have their proper wedding after, as sometimes it's not legal to get married in the venue etc. So definitely don't restrict yourself ? it sounds like a lovely way to keep everyone involved and doesn't have to cost too much either!

• T
    Beginner
    Teal ·
    • Hide content

My SIL got married abroad where they live, then on their next visit to the UK, had a blessing in her parents local church.

I remember the rules were much more relaxed & the cost was about half that of a wedding- despite there being a choir, bells & the full service. Cannot recall the cost though- sorry.

It depends if you want a church blessing, in a garden or at a venue.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics