Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

T
Beginner January 2015

Registry office - dress?!

tonievans, 13 of August of 2014 at 12:56 Posted on Planning 0 15

Hi guys

Me and OH are getting married 31st of January next year at the registry office. We are having just the simple ceremony no walking down an aisle music or anything.

Im currently looking for a dress but I don't know what I want to start with let alone the prospect of looking stupid in a registry office with an over the top dress.

We aren't doing wedding breakfast the thought of toasts and formal meals is terrifying to both of us and will only cause arguments so it's the ceremony (which is all we care about, we are 21 and he is in the army) and the night time to keep everyone else happy (or as OH likes to call it the piss up!)

I don't know what Im supposed to wear, what is appropriate, if i should wear a veil or not?!

Do i HAVE to take my engagement ring off, I picked a wedding ring to fit with it perfectly and I want them together from the off!

Has anyone else had a registry office wedding or is having one?!

15 replies

Latest activity by Lapland2015, 14 of August of 2014 at 10:43
  • pammy67
    Beginner April 2015
    pammy67 ·
    • Hide content

Congratulations Smiley smile

Wear whatever you want and feel comfortable in. People wear all sorts at a registry office - it all comes down to what kind of wedding you want. When I got married in a registry office 26 years ago I wore a black skirt and jacket suit. We had a wedding similar to yours. Only a handful at the ceremony, some finger food back at home then a mass session in the pub in the evening.

Many wear beautiful wedding gowns and have the full mashings after, some wear simple shift dresses, some wear jeans. Its all down to you and your style.

What does go well I think for a registry office wedding is something like a tea length dress or something like this from BHS:

http://www.bhs.co.uk/en/bhuk/product/wedding-1020484/the-bride-1020511/wedding-dresses-1020869/sofia-short-bridal-dress-2523075?refinements=category~%5b471562%7c471149%5d&bi=1&ps=40

they also do it full length.

ETA - for your engagement ring - you don't wear it on your left hand for the ceremony. If it fits, wear it on your right hand then pop it over your wedding ring after the ceremony. If it won't fit then ask someone to look after it for you until after the ceremony. The norm is for the ER to go over the WR I know some prefer to wear the ER under their WR but you decide.

hth x

• MrsShep
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsShep ·
    • Hide content

I would say wear whatever you want! If you want a white dress but don't want to go crazy, take a look at the highstreet. Monsoon, BHS, Debenhams etc, all have nice wedding dresses. Your wedding, your rules though, do what makes you happy.

As for your ring, you normally wear your wedding ring, then your engagement ring, so best to take it off. I'm planning to put my engagement ring on the other hand, and then just switch it across later.

Congratulations too!

• Shelly70
    Beginner July 2016
    Shelly70 ·
    • Hide content

Hi

I am also getting married in a registry office. We chose this as our preferred option as neither of us are particularly religious. However, I still see this as an occasion to wear a proper wedding dress. We are having around 46 people in total, followed by a wedding breakfast and evening reception for upto 120 guests.

Even though you have chosen to keep your wedding simple it is still your special day and you should wear what you feel comfortable with. If you want a big dress and veil then go for it.

Congratulations x

• M
    Beginner January 2015
    murphy88 ·
    • Hide content

I agree if you want to wear a wedding dress them do I know some people that underwear a really nice dress send still get there hair and makeup done.

Also hello fellow date twin Smiley smile

• M
    Beginner August 2014
    Mrslizziew2be ·
    • Hide content

My wedding is a registry office but with a big reception straight after. I'm having a full wedding dress with a floor length veil, our photos are not at are registry office as the building on the outside is disgusting! So saving the photos for the beautiful reception!

One of my SIL's was outside the registry a few months back and was messaging me sink asked what the bride was wearing and she had a full wedding dress.

My MIL is getting married the end of this year in the same registry office and she's got a beautiful fitted pink dress, something she will wear again. So it really dosnt matter what you wear just as long as you feel good in it.

And I think your reception sounds great, I wish we could skip all the formal bits like the meal and go straight to drinking and having a good time Smiley smile

• miss_winter14
    Beginner February 2014
    miss_winter14 ·
    • Hide content

Do you have any idea what you might like to wear? or what you want to spend?

long? short? bridal? formal? boho? white? coloured?

what do YOU want my lovely? not what do you feel you should wear.......

• T
    Beginner January 2015
    tonievans ·
    • Hide content

Thanks guys, I just don't want to feel like Ive just thrown on a white dress and feel like Ive missed out on wearing a nicer dress.

Doesnt help that I don't even know what I want. I did find a dress I wanted the perfect inbetween and then it got discontinued and I can't find it anywhere, now Im very unmotivated and don't even care Im just staring at white dress after white dress.

I didnt know if maybe I might get two dresses but then I think thats a lot of hassle and money when I cant even find one to start with.

HOWEVER I did find what I have decided are my wedding shoes. Kurt Geiger is having a sale at the minute, bargin!

Unfortunately I broke the finger on my right a few years ago so my knuckle is kind of fatter on one side it never went away so I cant do that.

Ill probably forget to take it off anyway Im not sure why Im worried!

I think Im just going to have to sit down one day and decide what I want, Im my own biggest critique, and super indecisive!

I wasn't planning to in the begining but when I thought about the toasts and the drama and familys and seating plans I just said to OH do we really need to and luckily he's not bothered it's whatever makes me happy as long as he gets a party.

Ooh murphy88 are you all sorted? Excited?

• alexandrawedding@hotmail.co.uk
    Rockstar November 2014
    alexandrawedding@hotmail.co.uk ·
    • Hide content

We are getting married legally at the registry office the week before what we consider out 'real' wedding. It's just us, our daughter and my parents and we are going for a meal afterwards. I brought this to wear so I still feel bridal from la redoute catalogue. X

Not going to wear the birdcage anymore as OH said it looks like a tangerine wrapper on my face! X

• T
    Beginner January 2015
    tonievans ·
    • Hide content

That's lovely, maybe Ill have a look on their too. I feel like Ive been on every site every looking for inspiration and ideas. I cant shop in stores I just hate everything.

Men have no idea!

• kimiu
    Beginner June 2015
    kimiu ·
    • Hide content

Definitely don't think about what you *should* wear, think about what you WANT to wear. There no such thing as too much or too simple as far as a wedding is concerned!

Slightly different, I know, but I am a second time bride with two grown children, and we are having our ceremony in a hotel. I'd done the big white dress and church wedding before, and part of me told me that I should wear something appropriate to the fact that I am older and a divorcee.

THEN I started trying on dresses and before you know it I have actually said out loud "I'm a bride, dammit!". I've ended up with a long dress (not white or pouffy though!) complete with train, floor length veil and sparkly tiara. And I love it!

Do what feels right for you - and you will look and feel amazing as you marry the man of your dreams and look forward to the rest of your lives together!

• D
    Beginner September 2014
    doodle_pip ·
    • Hide content

Not sure this helps at all, but I went for this, but in cream, for the registry office bit...

https://www.selfridges.com/GB/en/cat/ted-baker-remma-lace-bodice-dress_870-10003-108694/

It feels bridal, but not too bridal.

Good luck!

• M
    Beginner June 2015
    MRSLUXTON2B ·
    • Hide content

I am also having a low key affair at a registry office, we are having the ceremony then we fly straight of on honeymoon, however for me the thought of not wearing quite a traditional dress never crossed my mind! Although I had originally thought about a princess dress I fell for more of a fishtail lace type with a veil!

Have you tried any dresses on?! I think I would echo what everyone else has said wear whatever you feel comfortable in, you don't have to wear a traditional dress, maybe a plainer white dress?

i will be putting my engagement ring on my opposite finger and doing a quick switch after, however you can get your h2b to put both on, so put the wedding ring on then the engagement ring over if that's how your having it, but again I don't think there is a rule you could do

it however you wanted!

• SecretlyEloped
    Beginner May 2014
    SecretlyEloped ·
    • Hide content

We eloped at a registry office and I wore a "proper" wedding dress. I looked at high street dresses too but they couldn't compete for me. Go for what you want, I don't regret my decision even though it might seem over the top to some.

• BubbleBees
    Beginner August 2015
    BubbleBees ·
    • Hide content

I found one of these, unworn and tagged in (almost) the right size for me on ebay.

Registry for us, and fits with the vintage 20's to 50's theme.

I think its a wonder for a civil wedding.

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/55591376622633705/

(Hope it works this time!)

• T
    Beginner January 2015
    tonievans ·
    • Hide content

I haven't tried any on which I probably really should but I just can't shop for things I need, things I dont I can shop til my hearts content but the important things Im useless!

That's a lovely dress!

I have found a dress on Etsy, not so sure if it's a good idea to buy off there but looking online everyone seems to have had a positive experience. The dress I did find however now says it isnt available but Im going to send them a message and see if they will still do it fingers crossed or Im square one! Picture won't show but here's the link

http://s28.photobucket.com/user/ChesseCake05/story/23789

what do you guys think?

• Lapland2015
    Beginner December 2015
    Lapland2015 ·
    • Hide content

How about wearing your ER ring on a chain or tide to your bouquet during the ceremony? As for dresses don't be put off! I browsed the internet for ages and barely found anything I liked, I kept looking at fishtail dresses, strapless and lots of sparkle. My dress is actually the complete opposite! I would go into a dress shop and try on different styles as they look so different on and make you feel different x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics