Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

summer_sparkles
Beginner August 2009

Relationships and honeymoon periods

summer_sparkles, 23 of June of 2009 at 21:23 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 15

This probably going to sound silly so apologies in advance.

I watched this film the other day and it had this fantastic love story in, really touching. I'm now reading the book, which is the wrong order I know but it's taken me a while to catch on to the hype of it. As well developing an embarrassing teenage crush on the lead actor, it got me thinking....

The past two days I can't get this love story out of my head and it's made me think about my relationship. I'm nostalgic for the honeymoon period you have when you first get together...that wonderful bit when you know you're going to get together and you're just waiting for it to happen, the anticipation of the first kiss, the first time you hold hands, when you just absolutely have to spend every minute you can together... this stuff is all being portrayed in this book and I miss it. It's like I'm living vicarously (sp?) through this couple in the book at the moment and that's something I did a lot when I was single. It feels a bit pathetic.

The thing is I am so happy in our relationship..ok we've had a few stress related rows recently but on the whole I'd say our relationship is better three years in then it was at the start despite all the excitement etc. I guess this is all in the forefront of my mind because we get married in a couple of months and I suppose you realise you're not going to have the first kiss again etc. I hope it doesn't read like I have doubts about getting married because I am 100% certain this is the man I want to spend the rest of my life with, have kids with etc....so are these thoughts normal?

Also I was wondering straight after you get married do you have a kind of honeymoon period again?

Have you ever had these thoughts? What were you experiences of being newlyweds?

15 replies

Latest activity by Easter, 24 of June of 2009 at 10:50
  • Flowery the Grouch
    Beginner December 2007
    Flowery the Grouch ·
    • Hide content

It's perfectly natural to miss that frisson of a new romance - it's an exciting, emotional time. And sometimes i feel nostalgic for it, but I also feel nostalgic for the summer holidays I used to have, my first years at uni, some(!) of my school days, various other parts of my life that were brilliant at the time, but that i can never recapture. They are just good memories, I'm not going to try and recreate them (plus I'm sure there were painful parts attached to all of them, that I have handily forgotten).

We didn't really get much of a newlywed feel tbh - but we had been together for 8 years, living together for 4 of them, and getting married didn't change the dynamic in our relationship at all.

But i still do get those feelings of a new relationship - sometimes i look at Mr FtG and my heart just skips a (metaphorical) beat as i realise how much love him, and how much he loves me, and how lucky we are.

• M
    Beginner November 2004
    Minx Sauce ·
    • Hide content

Summer_sparkle.... you are soooooo normal! ?

It's totally normal to feel like this, I know I did in the run up to my wedding especially. It's a huge step, and although you can be 100% certain it's the right thing to do, it's natural to think it through very carefully. It just shows you are giving it a lot of thought and taking it seriously. In fact, I'd be more worried if you didn't.

I've been with my H 15 years now and there are still days when he makes me feel like a giddy teenager (albeit usually after copious amounts of wine ? and also days when I could happily throw him off a 20 story building. It's all about highs and lows. As long as the overall highs are still outweighing the lows, then life is all good in my book.

To go back to your book point, I felt that way recently when reading Twilight (after falling in love with Edward Cullen after seeing the film). I felt so angry that H didn't do romantic things for me like Edward did for Bella. In fact, I remember waking up one morning in a right grump with him about it, after a particulary vivd (and very sexy) vampire dream ?.

My opinion on it?... the author is doing their job very well if it can make you feel that way ?. Nothing more.

• summer_sparkles
    Beginner August 2009
    summer_sparkles ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That's what's caused all of this!!! I am now head over heels after the film and am now reading the book!

Glad I'm not the only one and that these thoughts are (relatively) normal!

• M
    Beginner November 2004
    Minx Sauce ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

?. There was a Twilight thread on here not so long ago actually. I think it transpired that the entire population of Hitched felt that way about Edward/Bella too!

• M
    Beginner November 2004
    Minx Sauce ·
    • Hide content
  • summer_sparkles
    Beginner August 2009
    summer_sparkles ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I am so head over heals in lust with the guy that plays Edward! And the books....I actually just want to lock myself in a room with all the books and just read them. Saw the film and thought "H2B isn't dangerous and brooding...tsk!" Lol. Would it be worth starting another Twilight thread?

• summer_sparkles
    Beginner August 2009
    summer_sparkles ·
    • Hide content

Phwoar! How exactly is it possible I didn't know he existed until two days ago?

• J
    Beginner May 2003
    Janna ·
    • Hide content

I know it's stating the obvious, and you know this already, but it's worth reminding yourself that this is fiction. The love affairs in the movies/TV/books are fairytales, by their very nature.

No, you'll never experience a 'first kiss' again but the stuff between you that replaces that initial excitment is so much more meaningful and exciting in it's own way.

We played cranium with some friends (another married couple) a few weeks ago. It was me and H versus them and we whooped their arses. Why? Because we are so in tune with eachother we just knew what the other was thinking. The wife of the couple stropped for the remainder of the evening over it. So who needs butterflies and first kisses when you could be Cranium super-team enjoying a frosty evening with a moody couple. ?

• summer_sparkles
    Beginner August 2009
    summer_sparkles ·
    • Hide content

I would, I noticed she said on her website she didn't write them for a teenage audience but for everyone and that people of a lot of different ages like them. Ok, so I am only six years out of my teens, but I can't put it down.

• summer_sparkles
    Beginner August 2009
    summer_sparkles ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

We've done this too!

• Flowery the Grouch
    Beginner December 2007
    Flowery the Grouch ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Noooooo!

They are the most appalling rubbish. I read the first one after a friend recommended them and then came and ranted on here ?

• Lillythepink
    Beginner
    Lillythepink ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Only if you like reading badly-written derivative dross. Do you like Harry Potter?

• P
    poochanna ·
    • Hide content

WEES

I sometimes really miss the excitement and I think it's totally normal. I really enjoyed being single and I do miss it on very rare occasions but I know I am married to a fabulous man. There are other people that I'd quite like to have a filthy night of sex with but I know that I only want to be married to my H. ?

I also think it's really easy to keep romance in movies as the everyday things don't get in the way. Life is bloody tough sometimes and we can't all be off dashing along the motorway on a Harley for the airport dash ? I also think new relationships bring a whole host of other things that we forget, the heartache when he doesn't call, the one that got away, the being single on a Sunday afternoon when all your friends are off doing "couple?' things. It's just that the grass always looks a lot greener.

• Flowery the Grouch
    Beginner December 2007
    Flowery the Grouch ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

You can't compare twighlight with harry potter. ? it's so much worse!

• E
    Beginner April 2007
    Easter ·
    • Hide content

WFtGs!

I;ve read the whole series, and while the first one is a bit addictive in a 'remembering what it's like to be 14 and obsessed with someone' way the writing is just shocking (just count how many times she says that someone is 'chagrined' or variants thereof).

That's before I even get started on the dubious messages - Stalking means he loves you! Emotional blackmail is ok because he loves you! etc etc etc.

Anyway, save yourself the bother of reading the books (especially the last one which gave me the rage for being so shockingly awful) and read this instead:

https://cleolinda.livejournal.com/602881.html

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics