Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

J
Beginner August 2011

Religious blessing after a civil service?

Jelly_Bean, 26 of July of 2010 at 10:29 Posted on Planning 0 7

Hi everyone Smiley smile

I was just wondering of anyone else is thinking about doing/ has done this? We're having a civil ceremony but the venue we're using has a lovely little chapel that apparently a lot of couples use for a blessing after the official part of the ceremony, so we were thinking about doing this, probably just for immediate famiy (parents, siblings, grandparents) and the bridal party, however I'm not really sure what it would entail. The wedding co-ordinator at our venue said it can be pretty much whatever we want, however I'm not sure what I do want, or even if I do want it at all (although H2B is fairly set on the idea so I think it may well happen) - does anyone have any ideas?? Thanks!

7 replies

Latest activity by Peggy, 8 of January of 2023 at 21:51
  • bringon2010
    Beginner May 2010
    bringon2010 ·
    • Hide content

Absolutely do it! :-) We did it and it added somethig really special to our day. I was brought up very religious, my husband wasn't and was just happy to have the civil ceremony and be done with it! :-) Afterwards though, he said he enjoyed the blessing more than the civil ceremony...

We had our Civil C in the venue then walked through the grounds to a picturesqye wee chapel on the estate, we lit a Unity Candle, my brother read "Blessing for a marriage" by James Dillet Freeman, the minister said some lovely words about marriage, prayed for us and we were piped out and back to the venue for drinkies!

Was a lovely lovely part o fthe day - and you get to do it all TWICE!!! Also -walking into the church together as man and wife was very special :-)

(I have pics of the civil ceremony and blessing if you want to see?) :-)

But YES - I whole heartedly think you should do it! :-) xxx

• Red Baroness
    Beginner July 2012
    Red Baroness ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oh I'm glad you asked this as that is exactly what we are doing. I have no idea about what it should be like either!

We are getting married in a priory, but as it's not consecrated we cannot have a religious ceremony (which was important to me and my family). So after the registrar has left, we are having a blessing back in the priory. I assume we'll have music back in and out again, but I think we walk in as husband and wife together the second time.

Yes please! ?

xx

• bringon2010
    Beginner May 2010
    bringon2010 ·
    • Hide content

Oh... alright then... if you insist!! ;-)

http://****.14/~archvyp/online/verifycus.php?flag=enter&shoot_id=599

password: oxenfoord

You can just scroll through to find the ceremony and blessing... :-) xxx

• Red Baroness
    Beginner July 2012
    Red Baroness ·
    • Hide content

Thanks! I'll make sure I have a look later : )

xx

• KEBO Jewellery
    KEBO Jewellery ·
    • Hide content

I got married in Thailand and then a week after we got home, we had our blessing in the church I grew up in. I am a Catholic and hubby is not religious at all so we both had what we wanted.

• J
    Beginner August 2011
    Jelly_Bean ·
    • Hide content

BringOn2010 - Thank you so much for sharing your photos, they're fantastic! You looked absolutely stunning, and so happy! And your venue is gorgeous too! I think you may have swayed me into deciding to go for the blessing - I really like the idea of lighting the unity candle. Plus you've given me a much better idea of what I should expect, I really wasn't sure what would happen but it sounds like a really sweet and special extra - and as you say, it's almost like getting to get married twice!

Thanks to everyone else who replied, you've helped me make my mind up....well sort of, we're going to arrange a meeting with the minister that our venue usually use and see what he has to say, but we now have a better idea of what we actually want so fingers crossed it'll all work out....thanks everyone!

• R
    Beginner
    RomanticBrownFlowers475 ·
    • Hide content

Hi everyone, sorry I know this is an old post but I am desperately trying to find a wedding venue with a chapel on site where I can have a blessing after the ceremony. Where did you all get married?? Thanks!!

• P
    Beginner September 2023 South West London
    Peggy ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hey, did you ever find that venue with a chapel?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics