Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

H
Beginner January 2014

Remembering granddad at my wedding

harr22, 3 of November of 2013 at 13:05 Posted on Planning 0 14

My beloved only grandfather died a few months ago and I'm absolutely devastated he didn't make it to my wedding.

We brought our engagement announcement forward so he could know, and I'm comforted that he knew I was happy and marrying before he passed-also it means the world to me that he approved of and liked my husband to be.

I'd love to have him at the wedding in some form. I know he'll be there in spirit but I was thinking of a little token I could have at the wedding so I personally could feel that he was "there" with me-also for my gran who will be there and undoubtedly missing him.

I'd appreciate some suggestions if you've ever done/seen this for passed loved ones Smiley smile

14 replies

Latest activity by Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon, 4 of November of 2013 at 11:04
  • *MM3*
    Beginner June 2014
    *MM3* ·
    • Hide content

Very sorry to hear about your grandfather ?
    Glad it's a comfort though that he knew about your lovely plans.

I've seen a few ideas on here, some people have a photo frame somewhere maybe of their loved ones who's passed wedding photos.

Some people put a little locket with their photo in the bouquet which I think is a lovely idea as they feel it's keeping them close as well Smiley smile

• H
    Beginner January 2014
    harr22 ·
    • Hide content

Yes I'm so glad we agreed to tell people early, one of the best things I've ever done. I like the locket in bouquet idea Smiley smile thank you

• Nicky Hewitt Designs
    Beginner May 2012
    Nicky Hewitt Designs ·
    • Hide content

Sorry for the loss of your grandfather; I was in a similar situation and it's lovely he was able to share in your good news before he passed away.

I sell a lot of memory frames for bouquets (below) - they're like an open locket you pop your pic into, and tie onto your bouquet handle. You could also make your own version with a locket- there are lots of reasonably priced silver/gold plated lockets on eBay or online bead shops if you don't have one already.

My sister put framed pictures of our grandparents on their own wedding days on her cake table, which was really lovely! Other ideas I've seen are memorial candles which you can have personalised as you wish, and you can light them on the wedding day. I also know of people who incorporated a favourite song of a loved one into the day somewhere. I'm sure there'll be more ideas for you from others but these are some of the things I've seen first hand x

• M
    Beginner March 2015
    MrsF2Bee ·
    • Hide content

My Grandfather died 11 years ago now, and I loved him truly, I know he would love my OH too. I'm having a memory frame on my bouquet and my OH's grandparents died so I'm having him so cufflinks made with their pictures in. Lots of amazing companies make them.

• Jens Hand Crafted Stationery
    Jens Hand Crafted Stationery ·
    • Hide content

I had a family locket on my flowers of both my nan and grandad. The locket was passed down to my by my grandads sister and I wanted it to be tied to my flowers. I wanted them to watch me walk down the isle.

Everyone commented on, brought a few tears to many of my families eyes.

xx

• H
    Beginner January 2014
    harr22 ·
    • Hide content

All really lovely ideas-thank you. I'm definitely leaning towards having something in the bouquet Smiley smile

• icklesal
    Beginner April 2015
    icklesal ·
    • Hide content

Very sorry to hear about your grandad. I understand how you feel, I lost grandma almost 3.5 years ago and it still breaks my heart that she won't be there with us.

We are planning to have a table with pictures of loved ones, we are going to light some candles in the evening to put on the table. Sounds corny and silly but it's our way of making sure they are with us.

• H
    Beginner January 2014
    harr22 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Doesn't sound silly at all, it's a lovely idea Smiley smile Sorry about your grandma, I know it's very hard to imagine someone you love that much won't be at one of the most important days of your life. Remembering them in a special way makes it less painful I think.

• *2014bride*
    Beginner August 2014
    *2014bride* ·
    • Hide content

At one bridal shop I went to they would stitch the date of your wedding on the inside of your dress in blue thread (as your something blue), and when I commented on it the owner told me that it didn't just have to be the date it could be your new married name, etc.

I immediately thought of having my grandparents names sewn in and although I have no dress yet this is what I plan to do as my own way of remembering and having them with me on the day ?

• stoice
    Beginner September 2013
    stoice ·
    • Hide content

I had little frames for pictures of my grandparents so they could still be with me on the day.

One nan died last year, the other a month before the wedding. Totally gutted. I'm sorry for your loss.

• BrownEyedGal
    Beginner May 2014
    BrownEyedGal ·
    • Hide content

So sorry for your loss.

My grandma died 2 years ago and I'm really really wish she could be at our wedding. For our wedding favours my brother is going to make little welsh cakes, my grandma was welsh and she used to make them for us all the time, I'm also going to sew her wedding ring into my wedding dress.

We are planning on having lots of photos of family and friends generally which will incorporate loved ones who can't be there and possibly a remembrance candle. I don't want any of it to be too morbid, just something to show they're in our thoughts.

• PinkButterfly
    Beginner June 2014
    PinkButterfly ·
    • Hide content

I typed this up last night and somehow it got swallowed up by the WWW!

my grandad passed away 5years ago (still feels like yesterday) and my uncle who I was very close to passed away in January of this year! It was very sudden and resulted in my wedding being push back till next year rather than this year... As a family we just didn't feel like celebrating and luckily my OH agreed!

at the wedding I wanted to have a table set up with pictures and a lit candle in memory of our lost loved ones! But my OH put his foot down and basically said it was a bit morbid and could cause more upset he just wanted everyone I be happy.

im devasted neither my grandad nor uncle will see me marry... In their memory I'll be having photo charms attached to my bouquet with blue ribbon! (My something blue) Will be making them myself using a guide I stumbled across online.

In our order of service there will be a line or so regarding remembering loved ones lost too, but this will not specifically list names!

• tayto
    Beginner May 2013
    tayto ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Very sorry to hear about your granddad ? ?

Some ideas - perhaps dedicate a reading to him during the ceremony or as already suggested, a picture of him set up at a table at the reception venue?

I did this - remembering my dad who died 18 months before our wedding - there's a pic in my report below.

• Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content

As mentioned, many brides have worn a locket containing a photograph of their missed relative. Others have a framed photograph next to the cake "overlooking" the reception event.

Sorry for your loss.

Peter

• Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon
    Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon ·
    • Hide content

I had a wedding where they used a Grandparents tea-cup collection and had one on every table, so also right on trend with the vintage theme also.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics