Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

agentblackcat
Beginner July 2011

Renewing Passport

agentblackcat, 19 October, 2010 at 11:13 Posted on Planning 0 6

Hi Guys

My passport is due to be renewed in May 2011 two months before my wedding. Need to get it renewed for honeymoon can when I renew it change it into my married name before Im married to save renewing it twice?

Also I assume then I just book my honeymoon in my married name lol x

6 replies

Latest activity by agentblackcat, 19 October, 2010 at 12:58
  • S
    Beginner January 2009
    sammy_wheeler ·
    • Hide content

I think- this may be wrong- but if you change your name on your passport- then you only get back on it what is left- also your booking and your passport must be in the same name

• Kat44
    Beginner August 2011
    Kat44 ·
    • Hide content

Yes, you can get your passport in your new name up to 3 months before the wedding but it will only be valid for travel from the date of your wedding.

You can't get it renewed as such but get a new one issued (change of name).

My passport ran out a few years ago and I wanted to go abroad for my hen do but they would have charged me for a new passport now and for a new one next year when I change my name, so I have decided to just wait till before the wedding and get it issued in my married name.

HTH

x

• agentblackcat
    Beginner July 2011
    agentblackcat ·
    • Hide content

Ah ok so i will be able to renew it just before the wedding then - in my new name - do you have any idea of what documents you need to do this?

• Little Madam
    Beginner
    Little Madam ·
    • Hide content

If I were you I would get a new one in your new name - they say on the website that to renew a passport it takes 2 weeks and for a new applicant it takes 6 weeks so i'd try and apply 2 months before.

If you do renew without changing the name you will have to pay twice - ie 2x£100 - once to renew and once to change the name and when you change it to your married name you can only have a maximum of 9 months worth of "extra time" transfered from your old passport to your new one, so in my opinion, for you it's probably not worth it. Unless of course you need in between the renewal date and the wedding, in which case you don't have much option - if you apply in the married name it is post dated and doesn't become valid until the wedding date.

You need to book the honeymoon in whatever name will be on the passport that you travel on.

• Little Madam
    Beginner
    Little Madam ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This will help:

https://www.gov.uk/apply-first-adult-passport/documents-you-must-send-with-your-application

You would need the vicar / registra to fill in a for anytime after 3 months before the wedding.

• S
    Beginner
    Sal1980 ·
    • Hide content

Hello

I have just changed my passport into my new name. You need to get a PD2 form which you can download and print off the website direct.gov.uk/passports. Not sure if you are having a civil ceremony or not but I just sent the relevant parts of this form off to my registrar and they fill it in and send it back to you. You will then need to send this with your passport application.

Hope this helps

Sally x

• agentblackcat
    Beginner July 2011
    agentblackcat ·
    • Hide content

Thanks guys for the helpSmiley smile

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics