Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Moose in the Garage
Beginner May 2005

Renewing Wedding Vows - present suggestions

Moose in the Garage, 5 of May of 2009 at 17:13 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 32

My daughter and her bf have been invited to the Wedding Vow Renewal ceremony of someone she used to work with. She has asked me for ideas of what to get for a present and I am passing on that request to the great and knowledgeable of Hitched because I have never been to such an occasion and I have no idea!

The couple in question are early 30s, quite "out there" as my daughter put it ie not fuddy-duddy types. Daughter and bf have not much money to spend. Help please!

32 replies

Latest activity by Jayne E, 19 of August of 2015 at 09:41
  • NickJ
    Beginner
    NickJ ·
    • Hide content

Why would you by them anything at all? i wouldnt.

• geekypants
    Beginner August 2008
    geekypants ·
    • Hide content

A card and a bottle of fizz, at most, but I really don't think I'd buy them anything at all tbh.

• Doughnut
    Beginner June 2008
    Doughnut ·
    • Hide content

Renewing? How long have they been married? I probably would get them some champagne or something. Sounds like an excuse for a party & presents to me!

• SophieM
    SophieM ·
    • Hide content

WNJS. Maybe a bottle of bubbly but that would be it.

• Knownowt
    Knownowt ·
    • Hide content

I'd just give them a token present or a card. Do you know why they are renewing their vows?

• NickJ
    Beginner
    NickJ ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

can you imagine if he d been porking his secretary and she d "forgiven" him, decided to renew their vows and then they d got a bunch of presents. "i know, i ll be unfaithful and then as a reward i ll get a wine cooler" ?

• Evil Yoda
    Beginner June 2005
    Evil Yoda ·
    • Hide content

I wouldn't get them anything either. Surely they can't have been married all that long? Haven't they said that it's more about presence than presents? ?

• Mrs Magic
    Beginner May 2007
    Mrs Magic ·
    • Hide content

Renewing in their 30s? I think I'd get them something but perhaps just a nice bottle of wine.

Are they good friends? It seems odd to 1) renew vows and 2) invite former colleagues! I guess they may have split up and now they are back together but to do something with anyone other than themselves and perhaps a few very close people, it seems odd.

• T
    Beginner October 2008
    tumbleweed ·
    • Hide content

And here's another vote for "why should she buy a present". If it's a houseparty, i'd bring a bottle as usual, if it's at a venue, just turn up. Card maybe.

• Moose in the Garage
    Beginner May 2005
    Moose in the Garage ·
    • Hide content

Right well I must admit my first thought was why buy a present, they must have had loads of presents first time round as it were but daughter seems to think that presents are being bought. I don't know the people well enough myself to know why they are renewing their vows etc - I agree it seems a bit odd, different if they'd been married 40 years or something but there you are, they are doing it whether I like it or not!

As for why invite former colleagues, well that's because they have all remained fairly close (the place they worked closed down so they all left at the same time) and meet up regularly for a get together so I suppose that is probably the least odd thing about it.

My suggestion was that my daugher/bf team up with another couple and buy cinema vouchers and a bottle of wine, perhaps I'll just suggest the wine now! ?

Thanks for all your answers everyone.

• Maxi
    Beginner February 2008
    Maxi ·
    • Hide content

I've been invited to a renewal of the vows too.

In this case the couple in question are still in their 30s and it will be their 10th anniversary. I guess they've decided to have the renewal as the original wedding was held in Gretna Green with only close family.

They are having the ceremony in a hotel with full meal and evening entertainment. Maybe the wife just wants to wear a great big dress ?

The invitation stated 'presence not presents' but i'll probably take a bottle of sparkly as would hate to walk in empty handed.

• Champagne
    Beginner June 2007
    Champagne ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Exactly what I'd do too. If they're providing food & drink fairy nuff buy them something but if not then it seems a bit odd.

• MrsB
    MrsB ·
    • Hide content

Quite shocked at how many people are disparaging about renewals, esp in 30s.

I've been toying with the idea for our 10th wedding anniversary next year. now I know there's so much scepticism, I might think carefully about who we invite!

We'd never expect presents, btw. but then I am old fashioned and wouldn't expect wedding ones either.

• Evil Yoda
    Beginner June 2005
    Evil Yoda ·
    • Hide content

I'm not disparaging about renewals, infact we will be renewing our vows at some point but we haven't decided when.

We got married in Vegas and with our package we got a free renewal of vows for life (as long as it's a weekday) ?

It will be great fun to do it again and we would probably do something a bit more Vegas style than before as we had quite a traditional wedding the first time.

I wouldn't expect presents though and to be honest I'd be surprised if we even had presence!

• Flowery the Grouch
    Beginner December 2007
    Flowery the Grouch ·
    • Hide content

I have to say I don't understand renewals. When we got married we made our vows for life, so it seems to me they aren't going to run out. But I don't have a problem with other people doing it - I just don't completely understand it.

My inlaws had a vow renewal last year. It wasn't a special anniversary year or anything, I'm not sure why they picked last year. It was basically a complete wedding - church, big white dress, hymns, readings, rings, meal, disco, buffet - the works. And they got loads of presents. I don't think we bought them anything ?

• M
    Beginner July 2014
    mantie ·
    • Hide content

I am renewing my vows in July on our 10th wedding anniversary and we are doing it as my family were not there the first time round and it wasnt in a church. So I would like the bells to be rung and for my dad to walk me down the aisle. They are my reasons, dont judge everyone, life is too short, why not celebrate your marriage and your achievement in getting where you are today. Most couple dont stay together too long nowadays as its too easy to get a divorce. If you have nothing constructive to say to people then dont bother saying it. oh and by the way I havent asked for any presents as its not about that, if anyone wants to get me anything then a card would be lovely.............that is all.

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

Is that spam? It doesn't read like spam. But why else would you bump a 5yr old thread just to criticize the posters in it for being judgy? /confused

• pammy67
    Beginner April 2015
    pammy67 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ditto - and there was me thinking I'd missed a thread and with that title there's no way.....a very odd post indeed.

• ATB
    Beginner August 2014
    ATB ·
    • Hide content

How odd! Makes me miss the posters of old though, ah back in the day...

• ebony_rose
    Genius
    ebony_rose ·
    • Hide content

I miss old Hitched.

• alyj66
    VIP August 2014
    alyj66 ·
    • Hide content

I was confused too, I thought it was the OP popping back and then realised that it wasn't. Strange but amusing none the less.

• D
    Beginner April 2014
    DaisyDot ·
    • Hide content

Now I want to know whether they took a card, gift, tokens, bottle of fizz etc!!!

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

I'm convinced a post about custom dresses in WP is spam too. Perhaps I'm being overly cynical at the moment.

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content

Smooth

id- the thread on skull themed weddings is clearly a scam I feel too.

Agreed with missing the hitched posters of old, back then you could say what you liked without being labeled a bully. This is why it's no fun anymore *sigh*

• Forever Wedding Dance
    Rockstar September 2013
    Forever Wedding Dance ·
    • Hide content

I always fall into reading threads like this before realising the posts are years out of date.

As someone who only joined the forums last year though, I am always intrigued when people reminisce about 'old Hitched' - what was so different about it? I know I could go back and find old posts but that feels weird! There is another thread on here where some former hitchers were talking about a book that one of them wrote, and a reference was made to the 'mass exodus of 2009'. I am intrigued - would love some Hitched history if anyone cares to share!

• AuntieBJ
    Beginner September 2014
    AuntieBJ ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

One of the reasons I joined hitched was my sister raving about how much she loved the forum, how useful she found it and how close she still is to the friends she made here. She has been married 10 years so would, possibly, have been part of old hitched!!

I have to say, I am loving it here and I haven't seen any bullying!!

• pink & glitz
    Beginner August 2014
    pink & glitz ·
    • Hide content

I love hitched too, lots of nice people on here x

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

I think it happens with most forums - people who've been around a long time will just miss those who've moved on. It's the same with the Moyles forum, and in fact just the other day I was reminiscing to myself about the old days on metalsludge, particularly a poster who recently passed away. I left there in a huff after the nastiness and bullying just got too much and yet I still recall 'the old sludge' with fondness.

• B
    big les ·
    • Hide content

My friend and her husband are renewing their wedding vows in a couple of weeks and its not even 10 years since the first one. they are going all out again. its even bigger than the first. big wedding dress. hotel. meal big reception. they put poems in with their invites basically asking for money for a honeymoon. i think its a cheek as they had a honeymoon first time round. im going to buy a picture frame. i got married last year and didnt do a wedding list. i personally dont like them. just wanted my friends there to celebrate.

• bliss_balloons
    bliss_balloons ·
    • Hide content

Can't believe people on here used to have 30 - 40 thousand posts, don't think there's anyone on here with anywhere near that anymore. Most people just seem to have their wedding then leave.

• halloweeny
    Beginner October 2013
    halloweeny ·
    • Hide content

Hello big les

Yes that is a bit cheeky and you're probably right to ignore the request for the honeymoon contribution.

Can i just point out that this thread is from 2009. Unfortunately Hitched don't lock old threads so it's always a good idea to check the date of the original post before posting on a thread. If it's such an old thread you're probably better of starting a new one...

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

Let's compare the two times this thread has been resurrected, shall we?

Exhibit 1 - June 2014

Is person 2 the guest of person 1??!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics