Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

G
Beginner April 2015

Reply date back in October, guest kind of RVSPing now to another relative. Is this a formal RSVP?!

gew4364, 13 of March of 2015 at 08:36 Posted on Planning 0 2

Any advice would be appreciated. We are getting married April this year and sent our invitations out quite early due to the wedding being on a weekday. Everyone but one person has RSVPd in time, and we confirmed numbers with the caterers and sent our seating plan to our venue.

My grandmother is now saying she does want to come (after a lot of persuasion from another family member). And to be honest, I feel like as she didn't have the courtesy to reply by the date we set, why should we go out of our way to be so accommodating, when other guests replied by the date and have sent us happy wishes?

News of her possible attendance (she still hasn't RSVPd to us, as we are paying) may have not been so bad had she not gotten drunk the night my mum was fighting for her life, barely talking to me at other social occasions, and outrageous accusations of blaming my mum falling ill on my dad (she had a stroke). There's just so much bad feeling there. Both my FI and I feel like she will cast a black cloud on what should be the happiest day of our lives.

2 replies

Latest activity by MrsB88, 13 of March of 2015 at 15:15
  • L
    Beginner October 2014
    LalaC1988 ·
    • Hide content

Can't imagine I would want her anywhere near the wedding if I am honest. I think imo this is likely to be final nail time though so and I can't imagine why you would want to maintain any type of relationship with her I think you'll need to sort it out but if your OK with her going from your life completely just tell her there's nothing that can be done and it's too late thanks. she sounds horrid. All this is based on her not having a medical condition which effects her personality or mood fil has a type of alsymous (sp) and he's going through a horrid nasty stage at the moment

• M
    Beginner October 2015
    misslynx ·
    • Hide content

I have a similar issue with my Mum! In the past she has disowned me, glad my Dad was dead and caused so much emotional upset and trauma it is just not funny. Nowadays, she is partially blind and disabled but can still be nasty and I can't fully drop the past...

However.... even though part of me hates her..... she is the only family I have left and I want the moaning mardy old trout at my wedding.

She has been warned to be on her best behaviour and if she is good, she will get lots of attention (after me)

So. Big question. Do you actually want her there?

If yes - contact her now, ask her if she is going yes or no. (Don't know will be counted as a no).

Accept she is spiteful at times and just ask her to be the better person and to keep any bad feelings between guests away from your wedding. If she doesn't like it, remove from the guest list.

If no - then just let her know it is too late to amend the catering.

It is your day. You choose if you want her there. If there are provisos to her being there have it out now.

Hope this helps - it is based on personal conversations with my mother who is promising to be an angelic motb!

• MrsB88
    Beginner August 2015
    MrsB88 ·
    • Hide content

Totally agree with previous post. If you really want her there (don't think I would!) Then double check with her and tell the venue. If you don't want her to come tell her she missed the rsvp deadline, sorry!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics