Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

NikiST
Beginner July 2011

Restrictions on music for civil ceremony

NikiST, 22 June, 2011 at 12:27 Posted on Planning 0 11

Hoping someone can help. I know that each registrar is different in what they will allow, but I need to know what the general restrictions are. I know we're not allowed to have music of a religious nature. What does that actually mean?

This is the song we want.. it called Angel;

I've got an angel
She doesn't wear any wings
She wears a heart that can melt my own
She wears a smile that can make me wanna sing
She gives me presents
With her presence alone
She gives me everything I could wish for
She gives me kisses on the lips just for coming home

She could make angels
I've seen it with my own eyes
You gotta be careful when you've got good love
Cause the angels will just keep on multiplying

But you're so busy changing the world
Just one smile can change all of mine
We share the same soul
Oh oh oh oh oh ohhh
We Share the same soul
Oh oh oh oh oh ohhh
We Share the same soul
Oh oh oh oh oh ohhh
Oh oh oh oh oh ohhh
Umm umm umm uhhhhhhmm

It has the word angel in it a lot but it doesn't symbolise actual angels.. I have a horrible feeling it wont be allowed. I wont be that devastated but my OH would as he wants me to walk down the aisle to this song. What do you think?

11 replies

Latest activity by 2nd Time Bride, 24 June, 2011 at 09:49
  • ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content

You really need to ask the registrars for their advice as the guidelines are very vague and open to (mis)interpretation.

We are using "Baby I'm a want you" by Bread as one of our bits of music, which has the word "praying" in it, and we thought we'd have problems, but apparently as in context it is referring to a concept, rather than an instruction to worship any specific deity, it's acceptable.

The whole 'no religious content' thing is a bit of a joke really becase we are allowed, if we wanted, to use the song "Turn turn turn" by The Byrds because although to most people it's known as a 60s chart song, the lyrics are almost word for word Ecclesiastes 3 in the Bible. I dare say we'd also be able to use Boney M's "Rivers of Babylon" even though that's also straight out of Psalm 137.

• NikiST
    Beginner July 2011
    NikiST ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

It's a funny ol' business eh? I think I might give them a call this afternoon and see what they say then. Here's hoping my OH can have the song he adores!

• ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content

It's very strange. Particularly when you think that anyone with no religious interest whatsoever can get married in a church simply because they live nearby, and have a full-on Christian service with hymns, readings and prayers even though it's completely meaningless to them, yet someone who is a Christian but for whatever reason wants a ceremony in a licensed venue is discriminated against from having any reference to their beliefs - or, in your case, something completely non-religious at all yet happens to use a word typically associated with religion, has the risk of being banned.

A friend of mine was told she couldn't have Ave Maria at her wedding as it's a piece of religious music, but Pié Jésu was perfectly acceptable.

• NikiST
    Beginner July 2011
    NikiST ·
    • Hide content

Well the registrar told me to send a copy of the lyrics to them and they will let me know but from my description of the song (Has the word Angel in but not in a religious context) she said it sounds fine and they're not overly strict anyway. I might tell OH that they wont allow it and have him believe that until the day when he gets a nice surprise as they play his adored song. What a lovely surprise that will be! Whether or not it will work is another matter I guess!

• alocin88
    Beginner
    alocin88 ·
    • Hide content

Definitely speak to the registrar - ours said we could have anything as long as it wasn't "written for the church" - for examples Robbie Williams Angels would be fine, but a hymn wouldn't be.

• ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content

I think when the guidelines first came out everyone went into "panic mode" and erred very much the wrong side of cautious, but as time has gone on and people have begun to understand the practical applications - and the problems - of the guidelines, they've come to a more sensible understanding overall of what is and isn't actually religious.

Unfortunately a lot of the time the people enforcing these guidelines don't actually know what religious actually is therefore it's hard for them to know what might and might not be covered.

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I might have thought that someone whose job it was to protect and maintain the secularity of a civil ceremony would have a remarkably good grasp of what "religious actually is".

• Jayned
    Beginner May 2001
    Jayned ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

that's just daft! Did the registrar know what Pie Jesu means? Crazy x

• ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content

Maybe the registrar thought the bride or groom worked in a bakery or something... ?

• Jayned
    Beginner May 2001
    Jayned ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

?

• 2nd Time Bride
    Beginner September 2011
    2nd Time Bride ·
    • Hide content

To the OP I think you will be fine with your song choice. We wanted to have 'Jesus to a Child' at our Ceremony and were worried about it because it has 'Jesus' in the words and title but we were told it was fine because it's not a religious song which of course it isn't. Always worth checking though. I agree with what others have said though that some places will allow 'Ave Maria' and 'Pie Jesu' which ARE religious songs! Bonkers!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics