Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

M
Beginner August 2023 East Riding of Yorkshire

Ring order

Molly, 24 of July of 2023 at 09:51 Posted on Etiquette and Advice 0 9
Hi all quick questions!
Before the ceremony do I take my engagement ring off and just wear wedding band?
Then also which order do my rings go in? Engagement ring first then wedding ring or is it the other way round?

9 replies

Latest activity by Little, 24 of January of 2024 at 05:21
  • Megan
    Savvy May 2023 Derbyshire
    Megan ·
    • Hide content
    Traditionally your wedding ring would be the bottom one with engagement ring on top. Can wear it however you prefer though!

I wore my engagement ring on my right hand to walk down the aisle and once we were signing the papers I put it back on my left hand, on top of the wedding ring.
  • Katie
    Savvy September 2024 Middlesex
    Katie ·
    • Hide content

Usually your wedding band will go on your finger first with the engagement ring on second. Because of this, I am not intending to wear my engagement ring (when I finally get it!) on the big day.

I like the idea somebody else has mentioned of wearing it on the other hand. Or you could wear it on a chain at your neck.

• L
    Rockstar July 2023 Greater Manchester
    Lisa ·
    • Hide content
    I wore my engagement ring on my right hand when walking down the aisle, then after the registry was signed and the ceremony completed I rearranged them.
    I wear my engagement ring under my wedding ring, so they’re in the order they were put on my finger, kind of thing. I believe tradition has them the other way round, but I just prefer them the way I have them & my Mum wears them the same way as me.
  • Dawn
    Beginner September 2024 Northumberland
    Dawn ·
    • Hide content

Its traditional that you wear the engagement ring on your right hand, then move it over on top of your wedding ring after you're married. If you prefer to wear them the other way round then do so.

Be comfortable wearing your rings however you like Smiley smile

• H
    Expert November 2022 Lincolnshire
    Hayley ·
    • Hide content

I kept my engagement ring on my left hand during the ceremony and I like that it's in the photos of our ring exchange. I didn't see the point in moving it to my right hand. Then during the register signing, I swapped them so my wedding ring is on the bottom because I preferred how they looked.

There isn't a right and wrong answer with this. It depends what you think looks best with your particular ring styles.
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

I think most people wear their wedding ring first and the engagement ring on top because the wedding ring is usually plainer and less likely to need to be removed. I have a stone-set engagement ring which I can't wear at work, but my plain wedding ring never comes off, so it makes sense for me to wear them that way round. But if you plan on never taking your e-ring off either, then it really doesn't matter.

I wore my e-ring on my right hand for the ceremony and then moved it onto my left hand for the photos after.

• Jennifer
    Beginner August 2023 Aberdeen & Deeside
    Jennifer ·
    • Hide content
    I heard you could put your engagement ring in the other hand so ring finger free
    Mostly I’ve seen wedding band under engagement ring
  • Sarah
    Rockstar August 2024 Warwickshire
    Sarah ·
    • Hide content
    Good evening!

It’s complete personal preference. I believe a lot of people either give their engagement ring to somebody close and have it back after the ceremony or wear it on the right hand whilst getting wed and change it over after.
    I believe most wear their wedding band and then engagement ring on top but it is all personal preference. I’m in a public facing role so can’t wear my engagement ring to work so for me I’ll have my wedding band first that I’ll never take off and then can slip my engagement ring ontop on and off whenever I can wear it, means I never have to take my band off then when moving it xxx
  • L
    Curious February 2024 East London
    Lisacarmel ·
    • Hide content
    We purchased our wedding rings a few weeks ago and I was told that the band traditionally goes on the bottom so it’s closest to your heart.
    She also said that surprisingly most people on their wedding day just leave their engagement ring in place put the wedding ring on top and then just swap it whenever they get 2 mins or the first time someone asks to see it.
    I can see the logic but my current plan is to swap it onto my other hand beforehand and if I forget then I’ll just swap them at some point

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics