Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B
Beginner December 2016

[Ring] Should be a happy day, but I'm so disappointed and frustrated!

BlondeBride307, 16 of December of 2015 at 00:53 Posted on Planning 0 14

I should preface this by stating that there are far more serious problems in the world than engagement ring difficulties, and I'm afraid this post might seem somewhat superficial. However, this is a wedding forum, so if anyone would understand, it would be you ladies!

My fiancé proposed with a beautiful platinum and diamond ring. He bought it from an independent jewellers, and had reserved it multiple times before he scraped enough cash together for it. It is one of a kind - the band is new, but the diamond is sourced from a vintage ring. He therefore had no choice in size when he bought it. I absolutely adore the ring, and the fact that my fiancé had been watching it in the jeweller's window for months makes it so special! I'd have accepted his proposal if he'd given me a Haribo ring, but this ring is really very special.

As he had no choice in size, it was at least 5 sizes too big. Wouldn't stay on my finger. We took it to the jewellers (which has since been taken over), and asked for it to be resized. The jeweller used the ring sizers on my finger (like a key ring thing, with all different sizes). It was very awkward to have him jamming these things on my finger, and he took about 30 seconds to decide on my "correct" size (H 1/2).

It was far too quick for my liking, and I asked if he was sure. He said he was, so I trusted his expertise.

The ring was sent away to a workshop and I was told it would be ready in one week.

It wasn't. It was a day late. No biggie... I tried to be breezy about it, but I really, really wanted my ring back!

I got it back today and they have done a lovely job. You would never know it had once been so much bigger! Really perfect.

Except I don't think it's the right size. It goes over my knuckle very comfortably (no need to really push much at all). All day today, I've glanced at my finger and the stone has been to the side, grazing my middle finger. And on a diagonal slant. It's not so big that it could fall off, but I hate that it's not sitting straight and the stone doesn't stay in the middle.

I raised these concerns to the jeweller when I picked it up, but he assured me it was a "perfect fit". Perhaps it was, when he was awkwardly jamming it on my finger... but I can pop it on and off very easily, and it's swivelling.

I was so looking forward to getting my ring back, and being happy and everything working out nicely. Now, when I look at my ring I'm just frustrated. I wish it wasn't this way. If he'd taken more than 30 seconds to measure me, we wouldn't have any issue!

If I have to have it resized again, that's another week without it (or more, given that it's Xmas soon). I also doubt he'll do it for free, because he keeps banging on about how it actually cost him £42 to resize it, but he quoted us £40. Sorry you lost £2 mate, but it was a day late and it's the wrong size??

Theres also a part of me that's concerned that we'll get it resized smaller... only to find that it's then TOO small (you can tell I've become cynical and paranoid).

I know this is a tiny problem in the "grand scheme" but I'm really just SO disappointed, and upset, and don't know what to do.

Fiance has suggested getting sized at another jewellers for a second opinion, then asking the original one to redo it. I've lost all faith, and I'm just miserable and hate that this drama could have been prevented. I love my ring and all that it represents, and I resent that it's become a source of stress.

14 replies

Latest activity by Adrian, 15 of July of 2022 at 16:43
  • Lapland2015
    Beginner December 2015
    Lapland2015 ·
    • Hide content

It took my jeweller 30 seconds to get my sizing too. Your ring will move round to the side as it needs to go over you knuckle comfortably when your hands are at their biggest. Mine spins round first thing in the morning when my hands are cold but during he day it doesn't move much. It's more important you can take it off when your hands swell than stays in place. It's frustrating I know as I felt the same when I got mine but you will get used to it, try putting a glove on and heating your hand up with the ring on to see it when your hand is warmest

• Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

My rings are slightly looser in the winter and swivel a bit and fit in the summer when my hands are warmer and bigger. Unless you think you would definitely lose it I would wait. Even if that means you have to pay for the resizing yourself later. You don't want a ring you can't wear for most of the year. Also if you have very slim fingers and it sounds from your ring size you do then your knuckle could be noticibly bigger than where the ring sits and it has to go over the knuckle.

• E
    Beginner May 2016
    ExpensivePinkCars201 ·
    • Hide content

Mine swivels a bit, like others say, your fingers change size depending on the temperature. When I was abroad last year I actually had to take it off as my fingers swelled up so much in the heat.

I think you should try to live with it for now at least. As long as it isn't slipping over your knuckle off your finger it should be fine. It's become a bit of a habit for me to swivel my ring so it's central, I quite enjoy it now, lol!

• Stephisaur
    Beginner April 2017
    Stephisaur ·
    • Hide content

Mine swivels a bit when my fingers are cold, but my ring finger is inexplicably swollen right now so it fits like a glove.

I used this to work out my ring size, so maybe give it a go and see what it comes up as?

http://www.goldsmiths.co.uk/medias/Goldsmiths-Ring-Size-2-.pdf?context=bWFzdGVyfGNvbnRlbnRfaW1hZ2VzfDExNjIyMzN8YXBwbGljYXRpb24vcGRmfGNvbnRlbnRfaW1hZ2VzLzg4MTUxODQ2NzQ4NDYucGRmfC0

I measured a perfect L - that's what my fiancé ordered for me and I am very happy with the fit.

My ring would come off if I shook my hand vigorously but I don't really foresee myself doing that haha

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

If it's bothering you this much just take it to a high street jewellers and get a second opinion on the size. If you have to pay to get it resized again yourself, then so be it. I know weddings are an expensive time, but better that than worrying this much over something that can be fixed so simply. I wouldn't ask this jeweller again as you obviously don't trust him.

• rach_217
    Beginner June 2016
    rach_217 ·
    • Hide content

MMine swivels quite a bit when my hands are cold as others have said but if they get hot or swell it almost gets uncomfortable, generally it moves about during the day but most of the time I have to manoeuvre it to get it over my knuckle and would hate for it to be too tight that I couldn't get it off at all!

• S
    Beginner September 2017
    Sorbet ·
    • Hide content

All rings slide, before I even got to the part of your post where you got to what was upsetting you I had corrected mine... I dont really know what you expected, the only way to not make it slide would be to have it to tight and since your fingers will change size over the years going to tight would be silly

• B
    Beginner December 2016
    BlondeBride307 ·
    • Hide content

Thank you so much for your replies!

I went to another jewellers and they sized me as a 'H' (but said I could take even smaller). We returned to the original jewellers and he admitted that although there is generally some movement and swivelling on solitaire rings, the H 1/2 was definitely too big. I had the choice between having it sizes down to an 'H' or (his recommendation) a G 1/2.

The G 1/2 is a little tricky to get over my knuckle, but once on it seemed to sit nicely. I went with his recommendation, and he's send it away for free and resizing to G 1/2.

I hear what some of you are saying re: the knuckle issue, but according to the jeweller, my fingers are very 'straight up and down' without very pronounced knuckles. I've also heard about fingers being slimmer when cold... this is a concern now that I'm going down to G 1/2 (that it might be too tight when I'm warm). However, it's rarer for my hands to be warm as I have Reynaud's Syndrome - my hands are generally freezing whatever the weather!

From other messages, I hear it's good to have a little struggle over the knuckle, so hopefully the G 1/2 will be perfect. I just desperately want it back and right! I'm sad it's sent away again, but if I'm wearing something for the rest of my life, I'd rather it fit!

• B
    Beginner December 2016
    BlondeBride307 ·
    • Hide content

Thank you so much for your replies!

I went to another jewellers and they sized me as a 'H' (but said I could take even smaller). We returned to the original jewellers and he admitted that although there is generally some movement and swivelling on solitaire rings, the H 1/2 was definitely too big. I had the choice between having it sizes down to an 'H' or (his recommendation) a G 1/2.

The G 1/2 is a little tricky to get over my knuckle, but once on it seemed to sit nicely. I went with his recommendation, and he's send it away for free and resizing to G 1/2.

I hear what some of you are saying re: the knuckle issue, but according to the jeweller, my fingers are very 'straight up and down' without very pronounced knuckles. I've also heard about fingers being slimmer when cold... this is a concern now that I'm going down to G 1/2 (that it might be too tight when I'm warm). However, it's rarer for my hands to be warm as I have Reynaud's Syndrome - my hands are generally freezing whatever the weather!

From other messages, I hear it's good to have a little struggle over the knuckle, so hopefully the G 1/2 will be perfect. I just desperately want it back and right! I'm sad it's sent away again, but if I'm wearing something for the rest of my life, I'd rather it fit!

• N
    Beginner January 2016
    NoMoore ·
    • Hide content

When my hands are colder my ring falls to one side too. If I had it any tighter I wouldn't get it on or off very easily. Bear in mind once you have your wedding ring on, thatll help keep it in place too.

• P
    Beginner April 2016
    prettypinkdresses ·
    • Hide content

I would also consider where the ring will sit when you are wearing your wedding ring. My engagement ring is a perfect fit at the moment but will need to be made bigger for the wedding as it will be closer to my knuckle where my finger is bigger.

PPD xxx

• MadamRed
    Beginner April 2017
    MadamRed ·
    • Hide content

My engagement ring falls to the side, too, but I worried that if I had it any smaller it might get stuck on my finger in the summer. Instead, I have one of those cushion-type things that you can put round the underside of the band to keep it in place.

• S
    Beginner June 2015
    Scottish_Sarah ·
    • Hide content

What you have to remember as said by others is your fingers fluctuate depending on weather the last thing you want is it digging in and being painful in summer, my advice would be to leave it a while (or do exercise with it on) and see what happens! If my hands are warm my ring fits if it's cold it moves it needs that flexibility so it doesn't cut in!

• F
    Beginner August 2016
    FutureMrsMarshall ·
    • Hide content

I have a pretty small diamond but it still moves around all the time. I haven't tried this myself, but I've heard that you can have tiny balls put on the inside of the ring to the left and right of the middle, which give a bit more grip on the underside of your finger and stop the ring from turning around. Maybe worth asking about!

• Adrian
    Beginner July 2021 Perthshire
    Adrian ·
    • Hide content

Good afternoon BlondeBride307

I am sure that you have probably got sorted out now, but for the benefit of others trying to find a solution. This post may help.

The problem you identified is quite common, particularly if your ring is top-heavy. If the ring goes over your knuckle quite neatly but is a little loose when in place, the head can flop to one side when your hands are cold. This is particularly common with solitaire diamond rings.

Stabilisers
    If not too severe, the answer is to have two balls, called "stabilisers" fitted to the inside of the shank. These balls gently push into the soft pad on the inside of your finger and help keep your ring pointing straight up.

This is an easy job for any competent jeweller and will not cost much. Photo below (courtesy of Protea Diamonds).

Expanding or Adjustable Shank

If the problem is more acute due to having a large knuckle (injury, arthritis etc), you may have to consider an expanding (adjustable) shank.

These shanks "open" to expand so that the knuckle can be cleared and locked closed once in position. In essence, there is a hinge under the shoulder on both sides of the ring. They don't look very attractive when open, but as you can see in the photos below, they are quite discrete when closed. Photos below (courtesy of EraGem).

Each of these shanks needs to be tailor-made for you personally (knuckle size and finger size) and can be costly. The upside is they do provide a near-permanent solution when otherwise the ring could not be worn or would never look its best.

Your jeweller can organise this for you. They will probably use one of the two companies in this country that do this type of shank (Cliq and Jacob Newman). There may be another company but I am not aware of them. I don't think that you can deal directly with these people; they serve the trade.

I trust that this of some assistance.

Adrian Smith

[Ring] Should be a happy day, but I'm so disappointed and frustrated! 1

[Ring] Should be a happy day, but I'm so disappointed and frustrated! 2

[Ring] Should be a happy day, but I'm so disappointed and frustrated! 3

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics