Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

venart
Beginner June 2013

Ring sizes

venart, 18 of February of 2012 at 18:01 Posted on Planning 0 14

Hello ladies, just thought I'd ask a quick question about ring sizes.

How loose/tight is your engagement ring? Obviously our fingers swell and shrink depending on the temperature and other factors, but I'm wondering if mine change more than others? Half the time my ring is so loose it can slide right over the knuckle and fall off, but any time I'm warm it's uncomfortably snug!! My office is over-heated and I find I have to take my ring off sometimes when I'm at my desk because it gets uncomfortable, but I would definitely not want it looser, as my hands are always freezing, even in summer, and the ring is usually quite loose.

Is it normal for my fingers to fluctuate THIS much?

14 replies

Latest activity by HappyPurpleDecor979, 20 of October of 2017 at 20:50
  • Sarah-March-2013
    Beginner March 2013
    Sarah-March-2013 ·
    • Hide content

That is wierd! I've never paid a huge amount of attention but my ring was too big and would fall off when gesturing. Sometimes it was fine so I suppose same as you. I got it made smaller though, and now I'm always aware that it still slides around (as in the diamond swings around to the back of my finger), so it is still a bit loose but won't fall off now. I never notice it being anything but like that.

It does seem wierd that sometimes it is so loose it will fall off and others it causes you discomfort.

So to sum up, I'm loads of help ?

• venart
    Beginner June 2013
    venart ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

No, that's fine. At least I know my finger size changes more than your does! I'm sure there's some reason for it I just don't know.

• BridalButterfly2012
    Beginner June 2012
    BridalButterfly2012 ·
    • Hide content

Venart - it could be due to water retention that your fingers swell up it can cause terrible problems sometimes. I know my mum had it quite a lot years ago and nearly had to have her ring cut off but the NhS direct told her to put it in the freezer to cool and clam the nerves and it did come off. She was told to get a lil silicone thing that fits on to take up the space but can be taken off if fingers swell.

Mine do it a little bit and i was still advised to order my wedding ring in the same size as my Engagement so i just hop they sit ok together on my finger.

HTH x

• I
    Beginner January 1999
    irrelephant ·
    • Hide content

I have exactly the same problem. Dr reckons I have bad circulation in my hands and feet and that could have something to do with it. My hands and feet are always freezing! The slightest bit of warmth and my hands swell up like a flipping balloon. I reckon its because the skin isn't used to warmth so when the capillaries swell to cool you down, mine just balloon.

I've yet to find a solution though other than taking my ring off in hot weather/ running my hands under cool (NOT cold, just cool) water to reduce the swelling when possible. I had to leave my engagement ring at home last september when we went to Rome. Very glad I did as it was 30+ degrees most days and my hands swelled up so much Smiley sad

• Dana_leigh
    Beginner August 2013
    Dana_leigh ·
    • Hide content

I had mine made smaller as it kept turning round and catching. Its better now but when my hands get REALLY warm it leaves a nice big dent in my finger....actually i always have a dent in my finger now! It slips off easily whether its hot or not, but not so that it will fall of.

My wedding ring is half a size bigger as it sits lower on the finger and my ER will hold it on then! the woman in the shop told me my WR would be too small lol, until I told her the size of my ER. I like them tight!

• pandorasbox
    Beginner August 2012
    pandorasbox ·
    • Hide content

Mine has been made smaller and is still quite loose during the winter months! But I am not having it made any smaller as don't want to risk it being too tight then when my hands are warm.

• sian-tiffany
    Beginner May 2012
    sian-tiffany ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I have exactly the same problem too, my ER is either too tight or too loose. It's got so bad a don't wear it at night as my finger went purple in the morning Smiley sad not sure what I can do.....

• I
    Beginner January 1999
    irrelephant ·
    • Hide content

No idea sian. I've yet to find a solution. My engagement ring lives on the kitchen windowsill half the time Smiley sad I'm also worried about wearing my rings on honeymoon. Normally when going abroad I take all rings off because of the heat, but don't want to take my wedding ring off only a week after putting it on! plus people might question if we're actually on honeymoon! ha ha

• O
    Beginner September 2012
    OrdinaryGirl ·
    • Hide content

Mine's the same too, it's managed to fall off twice at work!!

A friend recommended buying a ring snuggie from amazon as she has the same problem, although I haven't actually bought one! I am seriously thinking about making it smaller, but I'm worried it will be too tight in summer once it's warmer.

• venart
    Beginner June 2013
    venart ·
    • Hide content

Ok, I don't have entirely bizarre fingers! ? I know I have poor circulation - linked to low blood pressure apparently, so I doubt there's much I can do other than what I'm already doing for that.

When my fingers swell I don't really get a dent so much as just a light red mark around my finger. I've only had the ring since Christmas, though, I wonder what it will be like in summer! I've never worn rings before, so maybe it's also just something I'll get used to!

• N
    Beginner June 2012
    Nicalf08 ·
    • Hide content

After my oh proposed I had to get my ring taken down 3 sizes, when I went to collect it i still felt it was a little loose but the lady said that most women's fingers fluctuate 2 sizes between summer and winter. Not sure how true that it or if she didn't want to re-size it again for free! The only time it's felt snug is when I've been in bed and our room gets really hot in the night. I also have cold hands most of the time, I'll see how it is in the summer, if it's still too big I'm going to get it re-sized again as it's always turning and I'm paranoid it's going to fall off!

• M
    Beginner May 2013
    misslizm ·
    • Hide content

I've been worrying about the size of my engagement ring, too. My oh proposed with a different ring, which was one size smaller than the diamond I'm currently wearing. The first ring always felt a bit too tight and uncomfortable, whereas the diamond ring seems to be a bit too big! Like most on this thread, my fingers swell in warmer conditions, but I'm worried that the ring will slip off when my hands are cooler (I keep checking to make sure it's there, particualrly after loading the washing machine and emptying the bins!).

• M
    Beginner December 2012
    mrs0brien2b ·
    • Hide content

I had to get my engagement ring re sized as whenever I moved my hand it flew off! Now my ring moves around my finger but doesn't fly off. x

• H
    Beginner
    HappyPurpleDecor979 ·
    • Hide content

I think it's normal. I feel like sometimes my fingers get bloated out of nowhere to the point wearing my wedding ring is actually uncomfortable. Have you looked into silicone rings like on https://imperialrings.com? It might be a good alternative. Hope this helped!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics