Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

jjsmum
Beginner July 2011

Ring tarnishing question...

jjsmum, 9 May, 2011 at 19:12 Posted on Planning 0 14

I've had my white gold engagement ring for just coming up to 2 months now (9ct white gold, quite delicate) and it's already starting to tarnish on the underneath...is this normal or should I speak to the shop I got it from? When I put it next to my wedding ring (brand new) you can see the difference?

14 replies

Latest activity by Naboo, 10 May, 2011 at 11:02
  • excitedbee
    Beginner February 2011
    excitedbee ·
    • Hide content

Yeah white gold does go yellow over time as the rhodium coating wears off, take it back to the jewellers and get it re-coated, unfortunately i've needed to do this every 6-12 months to keep my rings sparkly

• MrandMrsFord
    Beginner November 2011
    MrandMrsFord ·
    • Hide content

It is very normal!

Mine lasted longer before tarnishing, but it does go yellow fast underneath due to handwash/cream and to some extent sweat.

I had mine re-dipped and it looks brand new. It's £20 a go in Ernest Jones and most jewllers. They do the first one free.

The thing that REALLY makes a difference, is the Ernest Jones White Gold or Gold polishing cloth. It comes in a long tube, green and silver. The cloth itself is a thick green material in one section and a thinner white smooth cloth on the other.

This LITERALLY changes the look of the ring by 70% better!!! It means the difference between months and weeks in terms of tarnish. So inbetween re-dips, get that!!

Worth EVERY penny.

• ~
    Beginner
    ~Alex~ ·
    • Hide content

How long does it take to get it re-dipped? I've only had mine 2 months as well and can't bear to part with it, but I've somehow managed to "chip" a bit of the white coating off and it looks awful.

• MrandMrsFord
    Beginner November 2011
    MrandMrsFord ·
    • Hide content

Depending on the carat it should still be silver under the chip? The polishing cloth takes the edge off chips, and the re-dip takes pretty much the whole chip away. I've chipped mine twice, one scuff in the pool on the edge and once at Warwick castle on a stone step! lol

It takes 2 weeks to come back to the shop Smiley smile

• S
    Beginner October 2011
    superlauren321 ·
    • Hide content

Ooh sorry to jump in but im having the exact same problem so will give it a try. sadly my engagement ring has also snapped so that needs sorting ☹️ dread to think how much that will cost

xxx

• MrandMrsFord
    Beginner November 2011
    MrandMrsFord ·
    • Hide content

The cloth is a godsend it really is!!!

http://lockerz.com/s/100266599

There is my one! (I got the colours wrong, it's red and white the cloth, tube is green and silver as I remembered)

What part has snapped? Is it a claw?

• ~
    Beginner
    ~Alex~ ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

2 weeks! Can't be doing without my ring for that long. I'm tempted to buy a fake ring to wear while mine is away, but might leave the re-dipping for a while.

• Saisi
    Beginner June 2011
    Saisi ·
    • Hide content

MrandMrsFord, how much was the cloth?

• H
    Beginner July 2011
    hjd1 ·
    • Hide content

Hiya guys,

Ive got white gold, and mine yellows quite quickly, apparantly everyone has different oils in their hands so everyones rings yellows at different times. mine only takes a month or so before it yellows. i got mine done for £25 at h samuels under a years warranty. it took around 10 days. im gonna get it done just before the wedding as my wedding ring is white gold also. its a pain to be honest but i love white gold so much. i think its so romantic xx

• MrandMrsFord
    Beginner November 2011
    MrandMrsFord ·
    • Hide content

I think it was £15-£20.

It definately takes the yellow back a few weeks each time you do it, if you keep polishing to only once a month you could get away with waiting for the re-dip!!

I hate sending mine off haha. With that cloth, I've managed without a re-dip for over a year now! Gonna send mine off again a month before the wedding to make sure it is all sparkly!

• SaSaSi
    Beginner July 2012
    SaSaSi ·
    • Hide content

Gosh - I knew I would have to get mine dipped occassionally but I've had my ring 2.5 yrs & have had no bother with it, no chips or golf showing whatsoever. Is it one of those things where when it starts to show/chip then you'll need it done regularly? Don't like the sound of all this! Wonder will my wedding ring rub @ it when I start wearing it - its white gold as well.

• judeclarke
    Beginner October 2011
    judeclarke ·
    • Hide content

I'd take it back - it shouldn't wear like that after 2 months. I have a white gold ring that went nearly 18 months of every day wear before the rhodium wore (it's not tarnishing, its wearing away of a plating).

All white gold and platinum jewellery is rhodium plated - white gold is pale yellow and platinum is dull grey - white gold should need re-plating about every 2 years, platinum every 4.

If you haven't got your wedding ring yet try palladium - it doesn't need plating and it won't grind on platinum and doesn't significantly alter the wear on white gold. And it's perfect for setting diamonds in!

• Panjita
    Beginner May 2011
    Panjita ·
    • Hide content

If you go to somewhere like Newey's in the Jewellery Quarter, they dip it there and then for you and it costs £10. Mine needs doing again before the wedding!

• Red Baroness
    Beginner July 2012
    Red Baroness ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

WSS. There is no such thing as white gold. It's yellow gold that's been coated. All of my 'white' gold rings have tarnished, and quite quickly.

• Naboo
    Beginner
    Naboo ·
    • Hide content

2 months isnt very long for it to tarnish, I think I would take it back and have a word, I have a 9ct gold ring and had it for 6 years and only had it dipped twice. I had mine done a few weeks ago so it was nice for the wedding and rhodium has gone up recently so it was £25 but some places can do it in store same day for you so worth having a look for a local shop or a big store that has jewellers actually there if you dont want it sending away

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics