Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

H
Beginner May 2016

Ring wobbles

HappyBlueConfetti257, 24 of March of 2016 at 19:05 Posted on Planning 0 18

So when we got engaged I loved my engagement ring, I still do! Everyone comments on how unique it is and it's a really lovely coloured stone (tanzanite, I'll try to add a picture once I've typed this out) I really do love it, I've worn it for over a year and don't think I'd have it any other way because this is the ring that my H2B proposed with, he chose it for me and it's perfect...well almost.

My concern is that when I was choosing a wedding ring (and I have the same concerns about my wedding ring) I looked on the H Samuel website to see whether there were any wedding rings to go with my engagement ring, I found the ring that I have and it was in the sale for a really small amount of money (like £199, I don't remember, but it was down from £349). First of all, I'm a little disappointed that my engagement ring was bought from H Samuel, it doesn't feel like a special place to buy an engagement ring from and I wish I didn't know where he bought it from now. We then bought our wedding rings from the same place because mine matched my engagement ring and I was ok with that at the time. I'm not even too worried about the price of it because I'm glad my H2B saved his money. I don't mean to be ungrateful at all.

The thing that bothers me the most is that I was just talking to some girls from work about weddings and engagements etc (neither of them are engaged) and one of them said that she doesn't want an expensive ring, she'd rather a huge honey moon. If he spent £1000 on a ring that'd be fine! I was shocked, £1000! I just kept quiet because I knew that my ring cost a third of that price but I felt quite insecure about it then as if it wasn't good enough! :-(

I love my engagement ring but these little doubts are always in the back of my mind, we're not cheapskates, we've saved money in some places and splurged in others. We'd just bought a house not long before H2B proposed so I understand that I wanted him to save his money. I just don't want to regret any of these decisions. Especially when my Grandma keeps telling me she wants me to have her 22ct gold wedding ring and I know it's better quality then my own. It just all makes me feel a bit meh and I don't want to talk to my H2b about it because he'll feel bad, or my friends or family because they'll think I'm being a brat. Ahh I'm all of a kerfuffle! I think I just need some reassurance that it's all alright!

Ps. I really don't want to undermine anyone who has spent a bit less on their rings, I'm all for it as the price can get ridiculous when talking about engagement rings. H Samuel rings have also been great for us, their customer service is good and my ring has had 24/7 wear for 15 months so far, it needs a clean and possibly re-dipped as the white gold is yellowing slightly but other than that, it's still beautiful and I only notice the yellowing because I wear it everyday, showing someone else, they wouldn't notice. Also, sorry for the blurry pic.

18 replies

Latest activity by Moonbeam88, 30 of March of 2016 at 15:19
  • H
    Beginner May 2016
    HappyBlueConfetti257 ·
    • Hide content

• Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

I think that you loved your ring until you found out the price of it. You didn't accept it or decline it thinking omg what a cheap looking ring! And it doesn't look a cheap ring. All in all I think you got a bargain. There also isn't any mention that anyone else thinks your rings awful or cheap everyone has admired it. Also he may have had no clue where to go for one and he chosen something he thought you would love not this is my budget what's the biggest ring you have for that amount which shows a lot more thought.

Yes you could change it and wear that one on your other hand but would he be upset? What would you tell everyone else? Unless you're really unhappy with it I would see if maybe you're just a bit down in general at the moment and fixating it on your ring.

If you are really unhappy with it then be honest and get a new ring that goes with the grandmother's wedding ring. X

• H
    Beginner May 2016
    HappyBlueConfetti257 ·
    • Hide content

Hi Jayne, thanks for being the voice of reason. Knowing my H2B, that's exactly what would have gone through his mind and I feel awful thinking it. I guess it's been a difficult day/week at work and I generally feel down, then one of the girls mentioned £1000 for a ring and it bothered me. Nice relaxing 4 day weekend is just what I need. Thank you again for your kind words and your help as ever! Xx

• T
    Beginner May 2016
    Tidal Wave ·
    • Hide content

I am really sorry to say this but, it is an absolutely stunning ring, it is unique and I love tanzanite. The price really shouldn't matter, you loved it, wore it with pride, I'm really sorry but I can't have sympathy with this. I like you have no idea (or didn't) where it was purchased or how much. However I dragged him specifically to H Samuel for our wedding rings, I couldn't have gotten a more beautiful ring, he's happy with his and the service was absolutely fantastic.

The one who mentioned a 1k ring isn't engaged so I really wouldn't take her comments to heart as she hss no idea on prices. Some £50 rings are gorgeous, others that are £20k are ugly. If you love the ring before the price or jeweller it really doesn't matter. He bought from a place he knew, as a beautiful ring. Nothing else matters.

• E
    Beginner
    ExpensiveBrownDiamonds1257 ·
    • Hide content

Every social circle has a different expectation of what is a "big" or "expensive" ring. I wouldn't get discouraged. There's always going to be someone else willing to shell out more money. I think women who aren't engaged also have naive expecations of what a ring costs and how much money their partner has saved up/is willing to spend. My sister will tell anyone who will listen that she won't except a ring smaller than 2 carats, but she has no idea how much that actually costs. And the reality is her boyfriend is unemployed and doesn't even have a car. So let them talk and we'll see what happens when they actually get engaged :p

• H
    Beginner May 2016
    HappyBlueConfetti257 ·
    • Hide content

Ooh gosh, I certainly wasn't asking for sympathy. I feel totally guilty for saying anything now. I guess everyone's expectations are different. No1 needs to know how much my ring cost and we can be secretly pleased that we have extra money to do other things. It's just been an awful week and I'm being silly. Thank you for your kind words, forget I said anything. Xxx

• Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This makes me laugh when people say oh it must be 2 carat. A 1 carat ring of good quality can be the same price as a 2 carat ring of cr@p quality. And yes some non engaged people don't live in the real world or seem to have any idea of what things cost or how much money their boyfriends can afford.

I know plenty of people with more expensive rings and plenty of people who have pots of money yet wear a smaller ring as thats what they prefer or a big ring isn't a priority for them or even that's what they could afford at the time and due to the sentiment they don't want to change it now.

Your sister might have a long wait to get engaged lol.

• Catlady28
    Beginner March 2017
    Catlady28 ·
    • Hide content

My engagement ring wasn't expensive. I wouldn't want a really expensive one, as I'd always worry that I'd damage or lose it, I can't wear it for work! But, I love my ring as my fiancé chose it! The saving on the ring means we can afford other things! i wouldn't worry about it, really! Your ring is beautiful and it has a special meaning for you and your husband to be! x

• M
    Beginner May 2017
    MrsW2017 ·
    • Hide content

I think your ring is gorgeous - my OH hasn't even bought me an engagement ring yet and we've been planning the wedding for 6 months!

I totally agree that your OH would have brought this because he knew you would love it and it would suit you. it's a shame though that it won't work with your grandmothers wedding ring as that would have been lovely to wear hers.

• M
    Beginner July 2017
    Much_ado_about_weddings ·
    • Hide content

I think your ring is beautiful and you clearly think so too as you loved it until you found out the cost! I actually told my fiancé before we got engaged and were chatting about rings that he wasn't allowed to spend more than £60 on a ring for me - I didn't want him spending a lot of money on it. I personally can't tell the difference between different ring qualities - you could probably give me a £5 ring and tell me it's worth £2000 and is possibly believe you! In the end I think my ring was around the £150-£200 mark, it's beautiful, and I definitely don't care how much it cost; in fact, I'm proud of saving my fiancé some money in fact, and I'm sure he's happy I don't want an expensive ring too! But then again, if I was the kind of person who appreciates expensive jewellery and it was important to me, it might be different. I guess what I'm trying to say is, if you loved the ring anyway at face value, it shouldn't matter how much it cost. My wedding dress cost £60 from a charity shop and when I hear of some on here costing £1500+, I thank my lucky starts that I happened to see it and that it fit, otherwise I may have ended up spending a fortune. There's no reason to spend money on something 'just because' or for the sake of it - so if your fiancé happened to find you the perfect ring more cheaply than others, you should be impressed! (Besides... I don't think guys have a clue what they're doing with engagement rings... My fiancé apparently had a ridiculous time trying to buy mine online bless him!). And... The less money he spends on your ring, the more you will have for your wedding and your combined future! Smiley smile

• M
    Beginner July 2017
    Much_ado_about_weddings ·
    • Hide content

Saying that, my brother made an unkind comment when I showed him my ring 'did he get that out of a vending machine?' which I thought was unfair. But I was disappointed in my brother as a result of that, not my fiancé!

• H
    Beginner May 2016
    HappyBlueConfetti257 ·
    • Hide content

I think some people have got the wrong idea of what I was trying to say here, I found out how much it cost when were looking at wedding rings, that didn't bother me, as I said. I love our wedding rings that we've bought and I think that my ring is gorgeous. I've got a £20 ring on my other hand that I bought for myself when I was confirmed, it's all about the meaning and sentimental value to me rathe than the financial cost!! I am not an ungrateful person at all! I'm really upset that I've come across like that.

As I said, I've had a dreadful week, I feel insecure and out of place at work as it is, then a girl makes a comment about a £1000 ring and it struck a cord with me so I mentioned it on here and regret every part of it now.

• Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

Happy blue confetti yu had a bad week and made a comment you know was a bit silly and you know what? We've all done it! Have a big hug (()) there you go. Move on and ignore your post. Enjoy your 4 day weekend, recharge your batteries. X

• Justkeepswimming
    Beginner July 2016
    Justkeepswimming ·
    • Hide content

Don't feel bad about having wobbles, you got a be able to talk about these things somewhere! I accidentally found out where and how much my ring was and I was really annoyed with myself for stumbling across this information because it does kind of ruin the mystery/magic somewhat!

I aLeo know people who also say they would expect a ring worth £1000 or even £2000 if they were to get engaged. But the point is they're not engaged and they are potentially setting themselves up to be disappointed!

I love my ring and I love thinking about how my OH chose it for me without me even knowing what he was planning. And he chose one which really suits me, probably better than one I would have chosen myself. Even if it was hard to find a matching wedding ring!

• S
    Beginner April 2016
    samwillow ·
    • Hide content

So lovely...

i love your ring

• H
    Beginner May 2016
    HappyBlueConfetti257 ·
    • Hide content

Thank you JustKeepSwimming, After a bit of relaxing time yesterday I feel so much better about it all!

Thats so true that what some people expect before they get engaged and what they actually get are sometimes completely different things. I think I even mentioned a price limit to my H2B at one point for a ring (we'd been together 11 years before he proposed, it's hard to remember what I've said sometimes!) and I only gave him a price limit because I didn't want him under any pressure financially on my part! Then some people say some funny things without really thinking about what others will think, this girl probably mentioned £1000 for a ring and thought it was a small amount, she's not engaged or even in a relationship at the moment so she doesn't know.

I too love my ring, I love that it's a bit different and that my H2B chose it just for me! ? I am definitely feeling a lot better about the whole thing know, as you say, you're allowed to have wobbles, I see a lot of messages about dress wobbles on here, most of them would be a lot more costly than my ring wobbles I'm sure. This whole wedding planning thing can be a complete up and down journey so that's why we're here to support eachother though and I really appreciate everyone's support! Xx

• Vixy1987
    Beginner May 2016
    Vixy1987 ·
    • Hide content

I'm so glad you are feeling better about it! Firstly, I think your ring is beautiful and there isn't anything wrong with H Samuel but I wouldn't have even guessed it was from there.

I've heard a lot of people say varied things about ring costs and like you say, people don't always have the best view on what things cost until you start planning a wedding. Personally, I wouldn't want a ring that was expensive purely because I would be scared of losing it! Mine was made in a Jewelers in Birmingham's Jewelry Quarter and cost less then £150, it's one of only two and I love it. The main reason I do love it is because my OH picked it out himself and was a complete surprise, I think that's what is important about a ring over the cost or where it's from.

The main thing is that you are happy and for now you seem to be which is good Smiley smile I've learnt that this wedding planning business gives a lot of wobbles but they do pass! x

• M
    Beginner August 2016
    Moonbeam88 ·
    • Hide content

First of all your ring is absolutely beautiful! I love coloured gemstones and if i had had any say in my ring (not that I don't love it just hypothetically!) i would have been very tempted to go down that route!

Coming from a big group of friends all getting engaged at similar times I learnt very quickly that engagements and wedding planning can become a huge competition if your not careful and i try my very best to avoid all of that nonsense! We are all different in life and have different priorities over what we spend our money on and what we deem expensive/inexpensive for cars, houses, holidays, clothes etc and weddings are no different.

So may people have asked me very personal questions about wedding/ring budgets etc which I find so rude! They wouldn't ask me my salary or the value of my house so why do they think a wedding/ring is open game?

I'm glad that you are over your wobble, your ring is a reflection of your finance's love for you. That girl that said that is still searching for that and when she does she will hopefully realise that you just can't put a price on those things!

And finally.... if it makes you feel any better my ring cost over £2k which is a hell of a lot of money for us. I have still had rude comments from one friend saying why did I have a halo..."they are tacky and just to make the ring look bigger"...actually i LOVE sparkle!!! and a work colleague's exact words were "did it come in a blue box?" (erm no are you for real???!) "ah that's a shame" A SHAME???!!! I have just got engaged to the love of my life and have been given the most special piece of jewellry to me ever...how is that a shame??? GRRRR!!!!!!! That girl is in her 40s, single and has never been married. I just had to feel sorry for her and put it down to jealousy!

xx

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics