Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Beginner June 2008

River Cobbler - a surprisingly nice cheap fish

shooting star, 19 of May of 2009 at 14:06 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 6

I bought 2 fillets of River Cobbler for £2 from Tescos last week. I wasn't sure what it would taste like being so cheap - but it was delicious! Like cod but with flavour! Even Mr Star liked it and he's right fussy!

So if you fancy something nice for a change from the usual fish available check it out. I did it steamed in my ancient Tefal steamer with no flavourings and was lovely on its own.

Just thought I would mention it! I'd never even heard of it before.

6 replies

Latest activity by GMT, 19 of May of 2009 at 15:58
  • GMT
    Beginner December 2008
    GMT ·
    • Hide content

I've never of heard of this ........

It comes from Vietnam, I think, so not sure about the air miles .....

• S
    Beginner June 2008
    shooting star ·
    • Hide content

I don't think I even looked to see what country it was from.

If it's come a long way then it's madness that it was only £1 a fillet. I really don't get how things are cheaper when they've travelled further. (I do know really, but it always seems wrong to me).

• Mrs Magic
    Beginner May 2007
    Mrs Magic ·
    • Hide content

My H bought some a while back and I really wasn't keen on it. It's definitely something I wouldn't buy again.

I wasn't keen on it being from Vietnam either, it was labeled as 'Vietnamese River Cobbler' and the first thing I said was "has the UK waters run out of fish?" ?

• NickJ
    Beginner
    NickJ ·
    • Hide content

A nice fluffy name invented by UK supermarkets to try to get people to buy very cheaply produced fish which the supermarkets put a huge margin on. It's catfish (whcih, lets face it, people wouldnt eat if it was called catfish), and is farmed in the mekong delta, and is utterly tasteless by the time it gets here. i find it quite sad that the uk consumer is effectively being conned and our own fishermen being ignored in favour of yet more margin. not to mention the food miles. really pisses me off.

• SophieM
    SophieM ·
    • Hide content

I've only tried catfish once and didn't like it at all.

Re the rebranding of fish, I agree with Nick but I think what Sainbuggers is doing with pollack is quite cool.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/food-and-drink/news/store-renames-fish-to-spare-embarrassment-1663389.html

• NickJ
    Beginner
    NickJ ·
    • Hide content

Sorry soph but i think thats stupid as well. w hy not spend the money they paid that bellend hemmingway to promote pollack in the first place. mind you, the uk consumer in general is so cod fixated anyway that i doubt even re-branding it will do anything. if they wont ask for pollack, theyre hardly likely to ask for "Colin" are they? and they wont say co-lan, it'll be colin. ffs.

• GMT
    Beginner December 2008
    GMT ·
    • Hide content

I agree with the supidity of the pollack thing - why would anyone be any more embarrassed to ask for pollock than they would for Colan / colin. Pathetic.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics