Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Ali_G
Beginner October 2012

Riverford Veg Boxes

Ali_G, 31 of October of 2014 at 11:02 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 6

I signed up to receive a fruit & veg box and my first box will be arriving on Tuesday.

The contents are as follows:

leeks UK
calabrese broccoli UK
black kale UK
radicchio lettuce UK
tomatoes ES
pears UK
clementines IT

Anyone got any ideas of what dinners I can make?

6 replies

Latest activity by Superhanka, 31 of October of 2014 at 21:26
  • tayto
    Beginner May 2013
    tayto ·
    • Hide content

H & I signed up for these at the BBC Good Food Show earlier this year and I love them - helps me make sure I'm eating more greens! My hubby cooks them though so not sure I can help re recipes! I've had to contact them a few times to change the boxes/put them on hold during hols and they are really nice - very good company imo.

ETA - they do enclose a recipe card that has some of your veg in the box on them which may help?

• Rod
    Beginner
    Rod ·
    • Hide content

You can have -

Pan fried chicken breast with creamed leeks and roasted tomatoes

Pasta with broccoli, kale garlic and chilli, served with charred radicchio

Eat the clementines and make a pear and frangipane tart.

Bosh.

• Ali_G
    Beginner October 2012
    Ali_G ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Do they? That's pretty cool. Trouble is, I do my weekly shop on a Sunday, so I need to know what to buy before the box arrives!

• Ddpunk
    Beginner June 2018
    Ddpunk ·
    • Hide content

Ooh I've had a few of these when they were offer in the past, and loved them. I usually ended up making loads of random soups & freezing them! I'm not usually a fan on mixing sweet and savoury BUT I once had a yummy meal with chicken, leek and pear!

• T
    Beginner November 2014
    tiptopbride ·
    • Hide content

I get these and if you log in to your account a couple of days before your box is due you can see what will be in your box for that week. I get mine on a Friday but do my weekly shop wed/thur so I just have a look before I go shopping. Some things do change last minute due to seasonality and things not being ready but it gives a good enough idea of what you'll be getting.

• Helenia
    Beginner September 2011
    Helenia ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Do they not tell you online/by e-mail what you'll be getting in advance?

I've just started getting an Abel & Cole box and I can see the week before what will be coming, and I can choose to substitute some items if there's anything I don't want that week.

I have now ended up with a crapload of kale though, and am not really sure what to do with it. I'm one of the people who has the taste receptor that makes it (and sprouts) taste really bitter, so I struggle to find anything to make that I'll enjoy. I did some yesterday which I blanched, then fried in butter with onions and garlic, which was ok. H liked it more than I did.

I've got a cookbook called "Red Velvet and Chocolate Heartache" which has loads of baking recipes using veg as a substitute for some of the fat and sugar. A bit hit and miss, but some are great!

• Superhanka
    Beginner December 2014
    Superhanka ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Kale crisps!

shove it on a baking tray with some salt & olive oil and bake until crisp.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics