Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Mrs Bass
Beginner March 2011

Round paper lanters/lampshades

Mrs Bass, 18 April, 2012 at 11:15 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 9

I am organising a hen do this summer. There are a small group of us going away and then for those that cant make/afford that, im organising a garden party & BBQ.

Ive found some really cute paper plates, cups napkins etc called Utterly Scrumptious

I want to get some paper lanterns either put in side my little gazebo like this

(obviously on a MUCH smaller scale, this is taking place in my garden!)

or maybe hang along my washing line more like this

I plan to put a little bit of card over the hole on the bottom and put those LED tea lights in. We are having a house warming BBQ in a couple of weeks so im going to have a practice run then.

ANYWHOOO....... did anyone have these for their wedding or used them before, if so, where is ther cheapest I can find them?! I was sure our local pound stretcher would have them but no! the Bay of E has lots but msot of them come from China! and i just htought I would see if anyone knew of any where cheaper!

Ideally different sizes but that doesnt really matter!

I will post this over on WP as there are probably some ladies over there who may be able to help!

TIA

9 replies

Latest activity by jules40, 19 April, 2012 at 02:22
  • A
    Beginner January 2012
    anirudh123 ·
    • Hide content

Awesome, very elegant shape of paper plate

• Storky
    Beginner May 2011
    Storky ·
    • Hide content

I'm sure they are really cheap at Ikea but it's been a while since I braved the carnage of one!

• Knees
    VIP August 2012
    Knees ·
    • Hide content

I am getting some online from the Hanging Lantern Company. There are definitely some in my local Poundland at the moment, with lights already built in.

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

I have some white, pale pink and hot pink round ones I bought for my wedding but never used. I think I have 5 of each colour, all the same size (about 20-25 cm or so). I didn't use them because of the faff of inserting tea lights - I thought they had a holder in them but it turned out I would need to construct some kind of rigging (although they have a wire shaper, obviously). I also have the battery tea lights for them (with batteries).

I think I paid about £40 for them, from a place called The Hanging Lantern Company, which made them just under £3 each. The battery tea lights were £1.40 each and I have (maybe) 20 or so.

What prices are you getting? I am happy to sell mine on (say, £3 per lantern plus tea light?) but if you need loads, it may be easier to do a single order form one supplier.

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

Also, to say, I think it would be easier to suspend the tea light from the top of the lantern rather than prop it up at the bottom. A bit of nylon around the base of the "flame" of the tealight, then tied to the wire support would do it.

• Mrs Bass
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs Bass ·
    • Hide content

Oooh i might just take you up on that!

there was a lady on ebay selling them uber cheap but they have all gone! they seem to be £1.50-£2 each so with the tea light that sounds pretty reasonable!

I think i would probably get 2 of each colour then put them a cluster of 3 at different heights in each of the 2 corners at the back of the gazebo.

Any idea what postage might cost?

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Well, they are light and flat so I wouldn't have thought too much. My original pack of 15 was about £5 but obviously companies screw you on postage.

• Mrs Bass
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs Bass ·
    • Hide content

Can you email me at mrs . bass 2011 @ yahoo.co.uk (no spaces) and i'll sort out payment and let you know where to send!

Thank you muchley!

• N
    Niki44 ·
    • Hide content

I think I paid about £40 for them, from a place called The Hanging Lantern Company, which made them just under £3 each. The battery tea lights were £1.40 each and I have (maybe) 20 or so.

• J
    jules40 ·
    • Hide content

The pound shops have got paper lanterns that take two aa batteries, we have used these several times for outdoor venue dressing and they are fine, I think one is pound world

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics