Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

P
Beginner April 2016

Round Top Table vs. Long Top Table

Pooba, 30 of December of 2015 at 09:44 Posted on Planning 0 7

Opinions, please:

I would like a round top table for me, OH, our sets of parents, one bridesmaid (his sister) and Best Man. We all get on really well and I'd like us all to be able to talk and enjoy the meal together.

My Dad (and to a certain extent, my Mum) are both traditionalists and think that we should have a long table - people will want to be able to see us and it'll be easier for speeches and photos.

OH is not fussed. His parents don't mind.

Does anyone have experience of a round top table in this sort of set up? How did it work out?

Thanks!

7 replies

Latest activity by Mrsjones2024, 31 of December of 2015 at 16:38
  • Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon
    Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon ·
    • Hide content

From my experience of being a wedding photographer, a round or long table both have their own issues so I wouldn't let this be a concern. But what I would say is that some rooms are more suited to a round top table some are more suited to a long one, have you seen any photos of your venue with both.

When it comes to the speeches with a round table if the speaker would of had their back to the guests then they simply walk around and do it from the other side which normally then brings them behind the bride and groom. But it all depends on the whole room layout.

• Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

I'm sure someone said recently they were having a round table but instead of being at one end their table would be in the centre with all the other tables in a circle round them. Might make you nearer to people and make it easier for people to see and hear you. Would that work for you?

• S
    Beginner April 2016
    samwillow ·
    • Hide content

I like the round top table..

it's easy to have conversation and to see each other

• PrettyFlower90
    Beginner July 2016
    PrettyFlower90 ·
    • Hide content

I personally prefer a round table or whatever type of table the rest of the guests are sitting at. I don't like the whole sitting at a table raised up and facing everyone, just seems awful to me. Unfortunately though as we're having maximum numbers we are limited to the room set up and have to have the long table. So it might depend on what your venue says. But in my opinion, you go with what you and your fiancé want! If you want a long table then go for it, if you want something different then go with that.

• S
    Curious November 2017
    SunnyIvoryCars376 ·
    • Hide content

We're having a round table in the centre with the other round tables around us!

We just feel it's a lot 'closer' everyone can talk to each other rather than at opposite ends up the tables, we also think for the speeches people can always move their positions. We like the fact of having all the guests around us so we don't feel too far away and can talk to other tables easier ?

• S
    Beginner December 2016
    SAL127 ·
    • Hide content

We are having a round table because I think it's weird to be stared at whilst I'm eating. Our room is perfect for round tables though and a long table would just look wrong. My parents are not happy, but so far they haven't been happy with anything so I just sweep their comments aside...its your day, do what you feel happiest with x

• P
    Beginner April 2016
    Pooba ·
    • Hide content

Thanks everyone for your replies.

Great idea to look online for pictures of venue with both options... and I can't find any with a round table! It's definitely offered, but I certainly can't find any proof it's been chosen before. It has also helped me visualise what it would be like with a long table and in fact, it's not as bad as I remembered. The shape is more of a loose horseshoe, so at least we'll all be able to see each other and it will be less of an identity parade Smiley tongue

Think I'm going to go for the long table after all that. It's the one thing my Dad has voiced any sort of opinion on so I'd like to keep him happy!

• Mrsjones2024
    Rockstar June 2024 Essex
    Mrsjones2024 ·
    • Hide content

My friend had a round top table which consisted of her parents, the bride and groom (obviously!), the MOG, best man and me, the bridesmaid. We sat in a sort of horseshoe shape so that no one had their backs to the guests. The FOB and best man sat at each end and the groom in the middle so that they didn't have to move for the speeches. It worked really well.

We'll have nine people on our top table so a long table will be the best bet for us x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics