Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Zebra
Beginner

Royal icing wedding cakes

Zebra, 20 of July of 2009 at 15:43 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 11

Reading the retro thread, am I the only person in 2006 to have had a cake with royal icing?

I can't stand fondant soft icing so it wasn't an option and my mum makes wedding cakes so I could hardly avoid one? We had royal icing but no pillars (on bendy stand) and model figures of a picnic including flying kite that my very talented sister made.

Oh and I didn't see it until the actual day ?

Anyone else still quite liking their wedding cake?

ps if Mrs Jess is reading this, my mum probably has a variety of wedding cake pics from the 80s/90s - lots of fine piped trailing loops of icing. Fairly tasteful except for the bride who insisted on pale green fluffy feather decorations all over ? even then ?

11 replies

Latest activity by JasmineJ, 21 of July of 2009 at 10:39
  • Knownowt
    Knownowt ·
    • Hide content

We had royal icing- fondant icing is grimmer than a grim thing and far too claggy. I love really hard royal icing. My wedding cake was basically three Christmas cakes on top of each other ?

• Zebra
    Beginner
    Zebra ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hurrah, if you had RI then that's ok ?

We had two "xmas cakes" and a G&B cookbook Chocolate Guiness cake for my chocolate-loving, Guiness-drinking fruit-phobic H ?

Served with a smattering of tablet from my best mate ?

• prettywild
    prettywild ·
    • Hide content

And there was me thinking I was the only person who actually loves royal icing and rich fruit cake! I go to extraordinary lengths at Christmas to get a proper RI'd cake - and the jaw breaking harder the icing the better. ?

• Cedar
    Cedar ·
    • Hide content

We didn't but only because we got married in January and I reckoned everyone would be sick to the back teeth of it after Christmas.

We had a chocolate iced cake with a white chocolate sponge.

• C
    Beginner June 2009
    claireac ·
    • Hide content

I got married 5 weeks ago, and had a gorgeous rich fruit cake with white royal icing. It was made by a friend of my mum's, and was delicious! She'd been feeding it alcohol for a good couple of months...........yummy.

• M
    Mint Spies ·
    • Hide content

We had royal icing on our wedding cake in 2006. It was about a metre long and 40cm wide - 4 big boozy Christmas cakes iced as one cake. The only reason it wasn't stacked was that we made it ourselves, and sorting out the technicalities of layering was far too much faff! I'm glad we weren't the only ones with royal icing - I share KN's opinion of fondant icing.

• Zebra
    Beginner
    Zebra ·
    • Hide content

Hurrah, we can call ourselves the Royal Icing Kleek ?

I can't bear fondant icing either - too sickly for words and hideous texture.

• DebbieD
    DebbieD ·
    • Hide content

I had a royal iced cake in 2002 - does that count? The only problem was that one layer was sponge but it had got wet underneath and went green so that got binned. Wish I'd known - I'd have taken all the icing off it before it went in the bin!!

It's even difficult trying to find a royal iced Christmas cake (has to be without nuts and without cherries just to make it more difficult) but I persevere and I've always managed to find one!

• HaloHoney
    Beginner July 2007
    HaloHoney ·
    • Hide content

Unfortunately my wedding cake was made from fondant icing.

However, all of my christmas cakes I royal ice. I like to leave them a good couple of weeks so the icing is properly teeth-breakingly rock solid. ?

Royal icing is great ?

• QueenBee
    Beginner November 2008
    QueenBee ·
    • Hide content

My main wedding cake in november last year was royal rock hard icing. I can't even cut the last tier with my electric carving knife! I tried to break the icing off it so we could eat the fruit cake underneath and it took ages to chip it all off lol

• JasmineJ
    Beginner
    JasmineJ ·
    • Hide content

Ours was Royal Icing. And very yummy. Two tiers on a squinty stand with white Royal icing, piping round the edges and red marzipan roses on top. It was made for us by a very dear friend of mine and I loved it.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics