Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Inspire Me Designs

Royal Mail Post Box Opinions

Inspire Me Designs, 1 February, 2011 at 14:43 Posted on Planning 0 17

Hi all

I would like to get your opinions if I may.

Would you ever consider a Royal Mail Post Box to use at your wedding for your cards and vouchers etc and if so would you prefer a traditional red colour or white that is personalised to suit your colour scheme.

If you could rent one, how much would you be prepared to pay for it and how long would you expect to keep it for?

I'm playing around with a few ideas at the moment and would love your honest opinions and ideas.

Thanks in advance.

Nat

17 replies

Latest activity by pandorasbox, 1 February, 2011 at 21:53
  • Little Madam
    Beginner
    Little Madam ·
    • Hide content

I think they look really cute! We would have loved a red one, but red is in our colour scheme too.

I wouldn't want to pay more than £30 personally to hire one (plus delivery if I couldn't pick it up) and would expect to have it from day before the wedding to either the day after, or the Monday after.

From googling, I'd only be willing to pay half the price some companies charge:

https://www.yourweddingpostbox.co.uk/wedding-post-box-hire.php

• pandorasbox
    Beginner August 2012
    pandorasbox ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hiya, as me and my OH met in our local post office we have decided we def should have one!

We have found the classic red design for hire for £60.00, £14.99 courier delivery, return at our own expense, and £100 refundable security deposit.

There were many colours available for same price, including white, pink, baby blue, all have personlised card to go in the front. Obviously the cheaper the better! though if you are able to offer it at a better price. We get it a couple of days before, sent to wherever we choose, and I think we have a day or so to return it so we get out deposit back quickly.

• S
    Beginner January 2009
    sammy_wheeler ·
    • Hide content

For me its a no no- but i hate the royal mail so it wudnt suit me

i think £30 to hire would be reasonable

• Inspire Me Designs
    Inspire Me Designs ·
    • Hide content

Interesting. Thanks for your replies so far.

I have seen them myself for £60 plus delivery which I thought was a bit steep.

What are your thoughts about the £100 deposit? Would you be happy to pay that as long as it was returned?

Nat

• Spangler
    Beginner September 2010
    Spangler ·
    • Hide content

I actually looked at doing this but there is a company charging a looot of money to hire them. In the end, our venue supplied a wicker basket for our cards to go into. I think £30 - £50 is fairly reasonable.

• Little Madam
    Beginner
    Little Madam ·
    • Hide content

I would be happy with a £100 deposit considering the value of the item to buy on the website i pasted above was £300.

• VikingPrincess
    Beginner December 2011
    VikingPrincess ·
    • Hide content

Nat, this is something Mr Viking and I were just talking about last night as we finally made a decision to do away with a gift list idea! We'd said we'd love a royal mail-like box and wouldd be in the traditional red but then thought the hunter green would look nice if it was still in the right shape... now i don't know about price, i've seen them at £35-£39 to buy so for renting... i dunno... are you meaning made of card, yes? not a REAL royal mail post box... coz i've even seen those for rent too lol...

• Inspire Me Designs
    Inspire Me Designs ·
    • Hide content

Hi VP.

Hehe.... I must be reading your thoughts lately.

Yes, I mean a real one not a cardboard one as there would be no point hiring them out as they are cheap enough to buy and probably wouldnt last long being carted around all over the place.

I'm just exploring new avenues at the moment.

Nat

• VikingPrincess
    Beginner December 2011
    VikingPrincess ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

LOL yes, i see now... i followed the link supplied above in the first reply, by kayl i think, and one of those would be lovely! but i probably couldn't afford paying more than £35 to hire it... the £100 refundable deposit seems a bit unnecessary in my opinion, it's not like you would run away with it lol, not something you could use afterwards. it's not easy to damage so it wouldn't need to be protected against damage either...so i think the £100 would stop me from hiring it in the first place. but maybe that's me because right now putting £100 together upfront feels like the holy grail!!! lol xx

• stripeyrache
    Beginner February 2011
    stripeyrache ·
    • Hide content

I would love to do something like this, but the cheapest I can find (even for a plastic replica - which I would still be happy with!) is £60ish. I would only be prepared to pay half that, especially as it's only for hire.

I just think it's a fantastic iconic symbol, makes it blinkin' obvious where your cards go and love the idea of the faceplate being personalised for you to keep after.

I think the cost for the deposit would need to depend on a) how much it would cost to replace/repair and b) how much the hire charge was. I probably wouldn't want to pay huge deposit if the hire itself was low.

If you can get one before the 25th of Feb, get it down to Buckinghamshire and hire to me for £30 I would totally do this ?

• Snuggle-bum
    Beginner July 2011
    Snuggle-bum ·
    • Hide content

I want one but not enough for me to hire one!!

I do work for RM though and am trying to hunt down a real one ?

Oh and it definately has to be red!

• lovelygirl
    Beginner August 2011
    lovelygirl ·
    • Hide content

I was looking to doing this and I would have been willing to pay about £25, but have since through pure luck been given a 2 ft high heavy duty cylindrical carboard tub and have bought some paint and shoved it at H2b and said i have got you a project! I am not keen on the white card postboxes myself so would have just had a wicker basket if not for my genius friend!

• Inspire Me Designs
    Inspire Me Designs ·
    • Hide content

Ok. So general consensus so far is:

• £30 - £35 for hire.
    • Definitely has to be red
    • Rental over atleast 3 days
    • The £100 deposit (even though refundable is a bit steep)

Would it help if you didnt have to pay the refundable deposit until the week before the wedding?

Interesting.

Any one else care to comment? The more opinions the better.

Thanks all for your help. Very much appreciated.

Nat

• N
    Beginner August 2011
    Noodle2Be ·
    • Hide content

I like the idea, I think the cost of £30-35 is great, but I would prefer a white/ivory one as a red one wouldnt fit in with the colour scheme! I think that the £100 deposit is fair. Personally, for a Saturday wedding I would want it from the Thursday, to be sent back on the Monday. Also, what do you think your delivery charges would be?

• *Nursey*
    Beginner May 2012
    *Nursey* ·
    • Hide content

I would also be interested in this, either a proper one to hire or a card one to buy!

• Kitty824
    Beginner December 2011
    Kitty824 ·
    • Hide content

We are having a replica post box at our wedding we are paying £30 to hire for 5 days and a £50 safety deposit we feel this is quite reasonable.

http://www.designsbydaykin.co.uk/Downloads/Price_list_2010.pdf (Page two it comes in traditional red or white)

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content

I really wanted a white one, but at £120 to buy off ebay and £60 (plus £100 deposit) was just too much money for something to hold cards!!!

I was tempted to make my own but not sure now...

I understand the £100 deposit is to cover non-returns and for that it is a fair amount, but I can't imagine many brides will have that much free cash to spare when the wedding comes around? Maybe just me!

I would pay £30 plus delivery, but I am pretty sure OH wouldn't!

• pandorasbox
    Beginner August 2012
    pandorasbox ·
    • Hide content

I am not exactly over the moon with the price but for us it is something we definitely want, and there doesn't seem to be any other ocmpanies offering lower prices. They are about £200 or more to buy on ebay, so I can understand the high deposit - but really could do with that money for other things!!!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics