Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

G
Beginner August 2012

Royal Navy Wedding - colour scheme?!

gemimah1983, 14 August, 2011 at 12:28 Posted on Planning 0 3

Hi there,

Have just booked the wedding for August next year. My other half is in royal navy so will be wearing his number ones along with the best man and several other guests which will be wonderful. Trying to work out between us what the colour scheme will be - do you think it needs to match? The suit is black not navy.

I like the idea of gold (like the top of my dress in that pic) for the bridesmaids etc and then maybe ties in a bit of red to pick up on red detail in jacket. Only thing with gold is that rings etc are silver so will it look a bit 'clashy'?

Other half thinks that we don't need to worry about it too much... won't it clash or look odd?!

Hit out first stumbling block - thought this bit would be easy!

3 replies

Latest activity by JennyH10, 14 August, 2011 at 17:50
  • Dream Wedding Video
    Dream Wedding Video ·
    • Hide content

Hi there

Black and Navy are pretty neutral so you could almost pick any colour you like. Gold is nice and won't look trashy unless the fabric is too shiny, and clingy. Monsoon often have nice satin dress in, or you could go floaty organizer. There are all different shades of gold too. So something like an antique gold can look very sophisticated. Other grate colours to compliment you dress would be greens or Yellow. I had a bride in ivory gold and bridesmaid in a really fresh yellow that looked lovely. Don't be afraid of bold colours they can look very striking for the photos. Red and navy/black are strong so you might want to soften the look and accessorise with neutral flowers. Some of the most beautiful weddings I have seen have had red as a colour scheme. The main thing is you have a lot of options, may be go shopping with a couple of the brides maids and get them to try on different styles and colours. Dresses look very different on and some colours can clash with the people wearing them. Good Luck and Let us know what you decide.

Laura

• C
    Beginner August 2012
    chloe_chloe ·
    • Hide content

To be honest I think you could pretty much go with most colours, as your OH´s uniform is fairly neutral. I love the idea of gold and red though - I think it would look fantastic!

Slightly OT - you and your OH make a gorgeous couple!

• JennyH10
    Beginner May 2013
    JennyH10 ·
    • Hide content

You guys do make a gorgeous couple. Loving the uniform too!! I think gold would be a perfect colour choice, don't worry about it clashing with the rings, it really won't be noticeable.

TBH though I wouldn't do red accents; too Christmassy for a spring wedding (just my opinion obviously) I think gold ties and waistcoats etc would look better.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics