Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

H
Beginner May 2014

RSVP from an uninvited guest!

Hannahwjane, 16 of February of 2014 at 14:16 Posted on Planning 0 9

Hi all, 76 days to go for me, eek! We have just received an online RSVP from some nice on behalf of the couple and the 3 children they have between them. They have left a note saying he will also be bringing his mother if that's ok! I was initially so shocked I didn't know what to think and thought we'd probably jus let it go. Now I've thought about it moreI'm thinking we should reply with a polite no it's not alright. I feel we've been generous enough inviting the 5 of them! I haven't invited my brothers' mothers in law and when I think about it I'd rather they were there to see their granddaughters be bridesmaids than this gentlemen's mother. We didn't invite them because we had to draw a line somewhere. I'm still so surprised by this that I'm a little lost for how to word the polite "no" or should I just let it go?!

Need to wait for fiancé to get back from weekend away to discuss before song anything anyway....

9 replies

Latest activity by sophiesofa, 16 of February of 2014 at 17:05
  • SunnyOrangeFlowers21
    Beginner August 2014
    SunnyOrangeFlowers21 ·
    • Hide content

Ruddy cheek!

• AuntieBJ
    Beginner September 2014
    AuntieBJ ·
    • Hide content

What???? How rude! Is it for the day or just the evening?

• *Pugsley*
    Beginner March 2014
    *Pugsley* ·
    • Hide content

That's really odd.

I'd never invite myself or my mum to a wedding I'd been asked to go to!

• Erin8
    Beginner June 2014
    Erin8 ·
    • Hide content

That is very rude. I would be saying no to this. Do you even know this woman?!

• T
    Beginner
    Teal ·
    • Hide content

This makes me so angry. I had similar situation & said no way. Bloody rude IMO. I'd either ring or write saying that due to room constraints/caterers/number limits, extra guests are not possible. They may offer to even pay for the uninvited mother, but stick to your guns. On principle she shouldn't go & why should you pay for her & have the worry over it?

• Helenia
    Beginner September 2011
    Helenia ·
    • Hide content

"I'm very sorry, we are limited on numbers and are unable to add extra guests."

• mooshy
    Beginner April 2014
    mooshy ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

^ This, polite but firm no.

Also - How bloody rude!

• ~Peanut~
    Beginner December 2012
    ~Peanut~ ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This. If they've only been invited to the evening then I'd let the mother come, but for a day invite definitely not.

• H
    Beginner May 2014
    Hannahwjane ·
    • Hide content

We have met ge ra few times. I don't know her name though. I have written the email but saved it for now. Think my fiancé wants to ring his friend instead as it's nicer to talk properly we think (wish the guest had thought to call us first!). We aren't having a separate evening list, if people are invited its for the whole afternoon/ evening.

• S
    Beginner April 2014
    sophiesofa ·
    • Hide content

We had a similar thing. We sent an all day invite to my future husband's uncle, his 3 sons and one of their long term girlfriends. We got an RSVP back saying they'd all be coming along with 'dean's girlfriend'. I didn't even know dean (made up name, he's about 17) had a girlfriend so must be new and they didn't even bother to name her so I could put her on the seating plan etc. after a few hours of moaning about it I emailed future mil and asked her to ask what her name was etc. The message I got back was she's now not coming! Bloody cheek! I wouldn't have minded if they asked (except for the extra cost), but they just told us she was coming! I would never dream of doing anything like that.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics