Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B

Running away to get married!

24 of June of 2016 at 23:11 Posted on Planning 0 12

Have any of you just went away the two of you and got married with no friends or family there and just had random people as witnesses?

The more I read about the stress, hassle and cost of weddings the more it's what I want to do and I know that my other half feels the same way.

12 replies

Latest activity by Jayne E, 25 of June of 2016 at 14:49
  • MadamRed
    Beginner April 2017
    MadamRed ·
    • Hide content

There's quite a few people on here who've eloped. JayneE and InkedDoll are two who immediately spring to mind, but I also remember one elopement with Chelsea Pensioners in London (sorry, can't remember whose it was). If it's what you want to do, then go for it. This will be my second wedding, and one thing I've learnt from the first one (and the numerous weddings I've attended since) is that it is up to the bride and groom to decide what is most important. That may be keeping family happy, it may be putting on a big celebration, or it may be just having something intimate with only a few guests. It's your day, no-one else's.

• Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

Yes! I booked to get married in Lapland at the Ice Chapel. Two friends went on the holiday with us and that's it. It was so stress free organising a wedding and buying a dress with no interference from anyone. No bridesmaids. I had a reindeer sleigh to take me to the chapel. No did decide to tell people a couple of months before and luckily people didn't give us much grief. If I thought they would I wouldn't have told them! We had an amazing wedding and my friend still talks about it. Stress free. And very cheap. Lapland2015 did the same but took her family with her. I have never regretted it.

I remember the Chelsea pensioners wedding at the register and office in London. Wore a wedding dress, went off to Paris. Took a photographer with them. The report is here. Try searching elope.

• Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

Far far less money, no stress, and the country/world is your oyster. I don't regret it.

Someone else (can't remember who) had a surprise wedding. Arranged for close family to meet up for a celebration and said we have set a date for the wedding and it's now and all went to the registry office!

• Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

Whether it's you, close family, a meal after, a party when you get back etc really depends on how you see your wedding. If yu could have anything you wanted where would you marry etc. Registry office, here, on a beach etc. Initial got married at gretna green. You could combine it with your honeymoon.

• Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

Initial? Inkdoll (D*** keyboard) lol.

• S
    Beginner September 2017
    Sorbet ·
    • Hide content

Is it selfish? it can be, Id be heartbroken if my kids cut me out of such a huge part of their life

however after the way our families have acted I dont think some deserve to come, they have been very self centered and eloping is starting to look favorable lol

I think it depend on lots of things... you CAN do what ever you want regardless but I would at least give my immediate family (parents, siblings and possibly grandparents) the oppertunity to be involved, for us thats only 8 people and cutting them out from assumption that they'll be awkward is presumptious and unfair really (although one or two have been awkward its oddly not the ones we expected at all)

people certainly dont need huge weddings though if you want something easy and low key then go for it, it doesnt concern your neighbors/coworkers/school friends/cousins etc... so they have no need to be there at all

• S
    Beginner July 2018
    ShellyN ·
    • Hide content

It really is down to you guys and what you decided. You know your friends & family and how they would react to the news you have either done it or planning on doing it. You cant make yourself unhappy to make someone else happy its your big (or small lol) day after all. xx

• Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

Sounds lovely. Would you consider inviting them to meet you there for a celebration meal. You can say it's a celebration for something you wont tell them u til the day. Then let your oh bring them to the registry office so they get to see you get married but have no prior notice. I'm glad I had a photographer and a dress.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics