Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Hoddy
Beginner July 2014

Rustlers burgers

Hoddy, 22 of August of 2013 at 18:28

Posted on Off Topic Posts 48

I just made the decision to buy a 'BBQ rib' Rustlers burger from Tesco as it is half price at £1... I've never had one before so was quite excited to try a microwaveable burger. (the wedding is making the food budget lower than ever!) WTF was that? Do people seriously like these? I gave a piece of...

I just made the decision to buy a 'BBQ rib' Rustlers burger from Tesco as it is half price at £1...

I've never had one before so was quite excited to try a microwaveable burger. (the wedding is making the food budget lower than ever!)

WTF was that? Do people seriously like these? I gave a piece of the meat to my cat and he started scooping it on the floor like it was his toiletings and now I feel really sick. ?

48 replies

• Kentish Gal
    Beginner July 2013
    Kentish Gal ·
    • Hide content

Wow, you did well Meltdown. There's 3 of us and there's rarely any of the chicken left 24 hours later!

• Skeptical78
    Beginner September 2013
    Skeptical78 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

There is nowt wrong with that! A well made doner is the food of kings.

• Skeptical78
    Beginner September 2013
    Skeptical78 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

There's two of us and we'll pretty much take down a whole roast chicken in one sitting.. ?

(In my defence, we don't have roasts that often!)

• Tray1980
    Beginner July 2013
    Tray1980 ·
    • Hide content

I've got 2 freezers (one is a fridge freezer so doesn't count...its teeny) but I think off the top of my head I have 3 shop bought ready meals in them. 1 is a pizza, 2 are low fat meals that I saw on offer and nabbed for when OH is at work and I can't be bothered to cook. I do have a lot of home made ready meals tho from things that I have batched booked, portioned and frozen (£1 shop is great for the take away type metallic food trays) to save time and effort when it is just me and the child

• Flowmojo
    Beginner
    Flowmojo ·
    • Hide content

The last time i had a ready meal was at uni....i always think i dont really know what goes into them and i can make something from scratch for maybe a quid more why not make the effort!!

• Jaysmonkey
    Beginner August 2014
    Jaysmonkey ·
    • Hide content

We don't buy ready meals.

Talking about flight food though I'd recommend getting a vegan meal over standard or even vegetarian.

My O/H is a meat eater, hates cheese and such...his inflight meals have always been disastrous. Mine on the other hand - roast vegetable ciabatta, bombay potato curry, tofu in a spicy chilli sauce served with peppers and green beans..O/H has always been jealous of my flight meal...and I get mine before everyone else ?

• Meltdown
    Dedicated September 2021
    Meltdown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I did do a lot of sides, cauliflower cheese, roasties, Yorkies, stuffing, cabbage and bacon. we didnt need much meat. Also the chicken was picked bare for the rissotto. it is amazing what you can find if you take the time to do an "Jamie Oliver" on it.

• *Nursey*
    Beginner May 2012
    *Nursey* ·
    • Hide content

H sometimes has one of the burgers before his night shifts.

I haven't had a ready meal in a while, but when I was newly qualified I used to have them each shift as my evening meal as I worked 07:00-20:30/08:00-21:30. I put on 2 dress sizes in a year...

• Helenia
    Beginner September 2011
    Helenia ·
    • Hide content

We sometimes have ready meals because I'm lazy. Waitrose do a really nice paella that would take me hours to make, though it's not cheap. The other thing we use a fair bit is those "ready to cook" things - they're not full-on pre-prepared meals, but bits of meat which have been jointed, dressed/seasoned and you just stick the tray in the oven and cook veg etc to go with it. The meat is decent quality so I don't really have a problem with these.

My dirty meal treat is a microwave lasagne. H is "allergic" to cheese so we never have it normally, but I do treat myself occasionally. Oh, and frozen "party food" things like mini sausage rolls or pigs in blankets - we neer have them in the house unless we're actually having a party, but I could eat those all day!

• Hoddy
    Beginner July 2014
    Hoddy ·
    • Hide content

I am still at uni, working, planning my wedding etc so ready meals are right up my street just as a time saver anyway. I just won't touch a rustlers burger again because it tasted horrible. Some ready meals are tasty enough.

• *Pugsley*
    Beginner March 2014
    *Pugsley* ·
    • Hide content

Wow Meltdown. I take my hat off to you, that's brilliant!

I wish I didn't waste food as much as I do :-(. Makes me feel a bit embarrassed about it.

• ~Peanut~
    Beginner December 2012
    ~Peanut~ ·
    • Hide content

We don't buy ready meals, but at the same time we rarely cook from scratch. Sometimes we will freeze a Bolognese etc but recently we have been a bit lazy and have been buying things that come in a jar or can be stuck in the oven. I can't stand overly processed supermarket food though, those Rustlers burgers are vile.

• Pittabre
    Pittabre ·
    • Hide content

Hence your mum's massive freezer collection - I have often thought and wondered how you were getting on with it?

My SIL and I were chatting recently about meal ideas. I said a popular one with the kids was risotto. She asked what I put in it and I exxplained I looked in the fridge and saw what was there and put it in the risotto.

But thank goodness for the freezer because it means I can batch cook and make lots of soemthing and portion it up ready for 'ready meals'.

• Aardvark
    Beginner January 2012
    Aardvark ·
    • Hide content

Well the husband is away all this week and frankly I can't be bothered to cook for one as well as slog away at my dissertation, work and deal with my family and the dog so have used my loyalty vouchers to buy a load of lovely ready meals at M&S.

Go on shoot me! ?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics