Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

ShropshireLass
Beginner April 2014

Sack the maid of honour!!!!

ShropshireLass, 1 of January of 2014 at 16:53 Posted on Planning 0 6

She is driving me INSANE!!!!

I bought dresses for bm's back in the summer. All fine as far as I was concerned, until...

My MoH (younger sister) told pretty much everyone except me that she didn't like the dress and refused point blank to wear it. First I knew was when my dad decided to have a go at me about not getting dresses the girls were happy with!! Firstly, wtf has it got to do with him!? And secondly, my other sister was, or appeared to be, more than happy with the dress!!

Fine...fussy madam can have a different dress.

So, I have a spare dress so ask FSIL if shed like to be a BM. Said yes, loved the dress but typically didn't fit & now out of stock. I now need to buy another 3 dresses, 3 months before the wedding and literally every single one I show MoH sister, she says she doesn't like it!!

I am so fed up with her spoilt brat behaviour and am so tempted to tell her she's no longer MoH, but that will just cause upset through the family...she's the obvious favourite and god forbid anyone who upsets her!

AAAARRRRRRGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!!!! And breathe...

6 replies

Latest activity by cantwait2bmrsj, 1 of January of 2014 at 21:11
  • Akrigg
    Beginner
    Akrigg ·
    • Hide content

It's your wedding. Your decisions.

Not your sister's, not your dad's. Your decision.

I would tell her to grow up, wear the dress or not be a MoH.

• slou90
    Beginner April 2014
    slou90 ·
    • Hide content

Tell her to get a grip - your paying for it it's your wedding if she doesn't like it she can buy her own dress to attend as a guest, as quite frankly your moh is supposed to take the pressure off not be a childish diva!!!! Phew rant over! X

• D
    Beginner May 2013
    detra ·
    • Hide content

Wow! Especially hard bc it's your sister. Maybe there is a reason she keeps turning the dresses down? Jealousy? Body image issues? Maybe if you talk to her you could find out, but also have a chance to explain how this is making it hard for you.

• *Pugsley*
    Beginner March 2014
    *Pugsley* ·
    • Hide content

I don't think it's fair that she is putting that stress on you so close to the wedding as it is unnecessary.

She is however your sister so I don't think you should 'sack' her as a BM.... tell her that it's your wedding and not hers so you choose the dress.

Your dresses can't be that bad if the other girls like them!!

• PinkButterfly
    Beginner June 2014
    PinkButterfly ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This!!!! Stop pondering to her! Stop looking for new dresses! She wears the one she originally agreed to! If she doesn't want to then fine! She buys her own dress and gives up her role as MOH!

your wedding, do what you want and don't let her stress you out! Sister or not!

• Ohwhatatuesday
    Beginner May 2014
    Ohwhatatuesday ·
    • Hide content

Did she say she liked it when they first tried them/bought them? If so, can't you just tell your dad she agreed to them and you can't change them at short notice?

If not, have you asked her why she doesn't like them? What she does like? It does sound like she's being spoiled, but if it's because they make her feel uncomfortable then I can understand why she might not want to wear it and it is important the BMs don't feel uncomfortable on the day.

If she is still being awkward, then explain to her that she either needs to compromise or you are happy for her to come as guest. what about explaining to your dad that she doesn't like anything and see if he can talk to her for you if he understands she's being difficult (if this is the case)

• cantwait2bmrsj
    Beginner September 2014
    cantwait2bmrsj ·
    • Hide content

I've been having this exact same problem with my MOH, she's my little sister as well and I think because they're so close to us it means they're not afraid to have their bridesmaidzilla moments! I completely understand how stressed it would make you feel so close to your wedding though. For me it got to the point where she was saying no to all the dresses I showed her while the other bridesmaids were all really positive. I was ready to sack her too! I sat down with her and had a chat just the two of us and it turned out it was, as other posters have suggested, a body image thing, she really felt uncomfortable in all the dresses and hated the way she looked in anything. We've worked together though and gone for convertible dresses with puffy underskirts so they're easier to wear on the tummy/hips and each of my bridesmaids can wear the dress how they like best.

As other people have said its your wedding and your MOH is supposed to make things easier for you not harder. Have a chat with her and see if there are other issues and if not and the other bridesmaids are all happy with the original dress go with that one.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics