Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

glider12000
Beginner July 2014

Salary details on a job application

glider12000, 8 of July of 2008 at 18:44 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 9

I am applying for another job and they want to know my current salary. What does this determine when you are applying for a job, and what information is the perspective employer like take from this?

9 replies

Latest activity by Sakosako, 15 of February of 2023 at 11:48
  • K
    katybell ·
    • Hide content

Probably how little they can get away with paying you (cynical me? never)

• glider12000
    Beginner July 2014
    glider12000 ·
    • Hide content

Well the job has a range for the salary so wondered if that would be the case?

• O
    Beginner
    Oh Zippy ·
    • Hide content

Yes, they'll use it in part to work out an appropriate salary offer if you are successful. They normally have a range in mind and this will help them determine where you fit.

It can work either in your favour or not, depending on the circumstances. It's frustrating to know that they 'would' pay up to, say, £30k but because you're currently paid, say, £22k they'll only offer, say, £25. But then I've had the opposite and a new range has been created for me as my previous salary exceeded their upper limit and they wanted me so they upped that upper limit (IYSWIM)

• glider12000
    Beginner July 2014
    glider12000 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ok so even if they have the advertised salary range of £29,500 to £36,900 and my current salary is way less than this? Also my salary is very low, and the majority of my wages is made up from duty pay and commission, so how is it best to express my salary in this respect? Put down the salary amount or put down the average monthly take home amount?

• O
    Beginner
    Oh Zippy ·
    • Hide content

I'd be totally open - my annual salary is x; I also receive duty pay and commision which leads to an overal salary of y

You are totally covered on all fronts then.

• glider12000
    Beginner July 2014
    glider12000 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Well think that is best, in the end i`m more than doubling my income if I get the job on the lowest limit of their salary range!

• jelly baby
    jelly baby ·
    • Hide content

I normally put a rounded up figure of what I guesstimate I earn including flight pay, allowances etc. I wish I was doing it your way and doubling, I always seem to take pay cuts when I change jobs - however working for Virgin I doubt there's much chance I can find a job paying less now.

• Moomoo
    Beginner July 2008
    Moomoo ·
    • Hide content

i put £x basic + car + commission (£y ote)

just as if you were advertising your job i suppose

• glider12000
    Beginner July 2014
    glider12000 ·
    • Hide content

I'm looking at working for the CAA, so watch out ?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics