Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Sambarine
Beginner May 2015

Sambarine's Wedding Report!

Sambarine, 26 of June of 2015 at 10:20 Posted on Planning 0 26

We got our wedding photos through yesterday, and I'd already written a long letter to my grandparents giving them a wedding blow-by-blow, so here it is - another epic of a wedding report!!

The run-up

On the Thursday we had a few people staying with us – OHs best man and his wife, who had flown in from Tel Aviv; FSIL, who had arrived from Helsinki; my friend and her sister, who flew in from Vancouver; and my BM who had taken the train up from London. It was truly an international event! I cooked a big chilli con carne for everyone and we had a nice time catching up, then early to bed as there were a lot of tasks to be done the next day, Friday. Friday was extremely busy, picking up all the last minute things (like the cake) that we couldn’t do until then. Made all the more difficult as we didn’t have the use of a car! In the morning myself, dad, uncle and brother went to M&S to pick up the buffet food for that night, while OH and Best Man went for breakfast and then took the tram up to Bury to pick up the wedding cake, and then took a taxi to the reception venue to drop it off. After picking up the food I had a little downtime – I went for a coffee with best man's wife and then met my mum & BM so that we could have manicures done. Taking this time out seemed a little self-indulgent at the time, but in hindsight I’m so glad I had those couple of hours to relax and focus on what was to come – I had been quite stressed in the week leading up to the wedding and it helped to calm me. Especially sitting in the "spa lounge" with a glass of fizz!

Directly after the manicure, I met everyone at the church for the rehearsal. Up until then, we weren’t 100% sure how the music was going to pan out – the music director had had trouble drumming up a choir (especially tenors, no surprise there!) as it was both Bank Holiday weekend and the start of the schools half-term holidays. I was very happy to find out from our Rector that we would indeed be having a choir and all the music we had requested. The florist had also started putting our flowers out, so we had a “sneak peek”. The Rector was extremely thorough and serious, especially with the ushers – “You may think you’ve ushered before, but you’ve never ushered at St. Ann’s before!” – making it clear to them that he felt they had the most responsible job on the day. It was very surreal going over our vows, I hadn’t realised that we would be saying them to each other at the rehearsal, it seemed strange to do it and not “mean” it so to speak.

After the rehearsal Nic and I rushed off with one of the usher's (who let us use his car!) to take all the decorations to the reception venue. They were just starting to set up so we left them the decorations with instructions for where they needed to go. It was so nice to be able to trust them to sort it! I had originally wanted to go earlier in the day so that I could come back and see how everything was set out, but there was no time and in the end I needn't have worried, they did a great job setting everything out. So we headed straight to my parents' airbnb apartment for a family buffet. It was really nice to have time to properly catch up with people before the madness of the next day, and having it at the rental apartment meant that Nic and I could slope off relatively early to get some rest. The next time we saw each other would be at the church!

The morning of

My BMs were staying with me the night before, while OH stayed at the neighbours across the hall. We were all in bed very early, and I had no trouble getting to sleep – the only problem was, I then woke up at 5am!! Sleep would not come, and nerves were making me feel nauseous. Unfortunately as the girls were asleep in the front room, I was stuck in the bedroom. Around 7am I finally got up and woke them so that I could have some toast, and then I had a shower. It was a nice slow start to the morning as no-one was arriving til about 9:30am. Once people did start arriving though, it got very manic very fast! The hairdresser arrived first, then mum (who brought pastries!), followed by the tog, and finally the MUA. Mum brought pastries, which were essential, but I’d forgotten to make sure we had any coffee so it was cups of tea all round (and mimosas, of course)! We all took it in turns to have our makeup and hair done while the photographer flitted around capturing it all. At some point the flowers arrived. These were a surprise – I’d told the florist our colour scheme, given him an idea of what designs I liked, and told him to use seasonal flowers, so I wasn’t sure exactly what flowers we would be having or what exactly they would look like. We had talked about having rununculas and tulips in whites and purples, and instead I got white peonies and pink roses, but they were gorgeous and there were some purple tones still in there so it was all fine - my least Bridezilla moment of the WP! Similarly the bridesmaid’s flowers were meant to be simple white tulips, but ended up being only a couple of tulips, with hydrangea and peonies to fill them out. They turned out nothing like I expected, but I loved them! Similarly when we got to the venue our centrepieces were absolutely nothing like i had discussed with the florist, but they were gorgeous so I didn't care!

Unbeknownst to me the men were having their own problems across the hall – one of the usher's hired suits didn’t fit! The store had sent a 28 inch leg instead of 32. Our neighbour saved the day, taking the Ush to the rental store to swap out the trousers and then ironing all the men’s shirts and polishing all their shoes for them. What a star! He even tied all their cravats. He got a special mention in the speeches, which is the first I heard about it (which was probably for the best!).

The morning flew by, and all too soon, it was time to get in my dress. This required the help of mum, both bridesmaids, MUA, tog, and my friend who had popped in from across the hall! Basically it was all hands on deck as every layer of the skirt had to be “fluffed” individually and then all the buttons on the back of the lace buttoned up. They struggled to get the hook and eye closed as the seamstress hadn't accounted for the band of my bra when she made the adjustments, which stressed me out no end. My ever-tactful mum said "right that's it, you're in and you'd better not eat anything all day", and I gave her a right glare! (she'd been making comments about me not fitting in the dress/not being able to eat all week). Finally, I was in, and it was just a question of waiting for the taxis. I couldn’t believe it – and we were ready early!

26 replies

Latest activity by AKWedding, 27 of June of 2015 at 00:23
  • Sambarine
    Beginner May 2015
    Sambarine ·
    • Hide content

The Church

Dad and I had a quiet ride in the taxi to the church. We talked about family and it was nice to share the quiet time with him. It was only about 5 minutes though, and then we were there! The verger came out to help me out of the taxi, and usher me into the back of the church. There were a few guests waiting outside the church who got a sneak peek, too! Once inside, I started to feel quite panicky. the Rector came and spoke to me, and dad and I practiced walking – it’s a good thing we did, as he kept tripping over my skirt! In the end we decided to hold hands rather than link arms, and I’m really glad that we did as it meant I could give his hand a squeeze as we went down the aisle – I think he was almost as nervous as I was! The choir were singing Beati Quorum Via as an introit, and as soon as they started I tried to focus on the music and concentrate on my breathing. It worked, and was one of the reasons I chose that piece – I felt a sense of calm and serenity from the music which lifted the weight of panic from my chest. When the first chords of the Walton struck up, the doors opened and I saw OH standing at the end of the aisle, I couldn’t help a beaming smile taking over! I barely remember the walk down the aisle, it was over so quickly and I was trying to take everything in.

The ceremony itself was absolutely beautiful. the Rector did a wonderful job leading the ceremony – he was so full of joy and life that it was infectious, such a contrast to his seriousness the day before. Our two readers did a wonderful job. The readings meant so much to us, and Dad’s friend who was widowed last year came up to me afterwards and told me that she had been in tears because the secular reading, from Captain Corelli’s Mandolin, was the reading she chose for her husband’s funeral. She told me, “By the time he died we were one person, not two. You two are just starting out, but you will end up like that too”.

Colossians 3 v 12-17

As God’s chosen ones, holy and beloved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, meekness, and patience. Bear with one another and, if anyone has a complaint against another, forgive each other; just as the Lord has forgiven you, so you also must forgive. Above all, clothe yourselves with love, which binds everything together in perfect harmony. And let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, to which indeed you were called in the one body, and be thankful. Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly; teach and admonish one another in all wisdom; and with gratitude in your hearts sing psalms, hymns, and spiritual songs to God. And whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.

Louis de Bernieres, Captain Corelli’s Mandolin

Love is a temporary madness,
    it erupts like volcanoes and then subsides.

And when it subsides you have to make a decision.
    You have to work out whether your roots have so entwined together
    that it is inconceivable that you should ever part.

Because this is what love is.

Love is not breathlessness,
    it is not excitement,
    it is not the promulgation of eternal passion.

That is just being "in love" which any fool can do.

Love itself is what is left over when being in love has burned away,
    and this is both an art and a fortunate accident.

Those that truly love, have roots that grow towards each other underground,
    and when all the pretty blossom have fallen from their branches,
    they find that they are one tree and not two.

When it came time to exchange the rings, OH gave me his left hand but me being me, I got confused and said quietly “that’s the wrong hand!”; his reply, “no it’s not!” made me giggle. That was a mistake because as soon as I started giggling I couldn’t stop, and the rector had to stop and repeat the vows. Oops! We had a similar experience when it came time to sign the marriage register – we were in the sacristy to the side of the altar with our witnesses (our siblings), and the Rector made a comment about all our signatures being like “hieroglyphics”. I laughed, and apparently the whole congregation heard me! Lots of people asked me about it later. Before we signed the register we said prayers at the altar, and then sang our final hymn, Jerusalem. OH and I stood opposite each other and sang as loud as we could to each other. It was one of my favourite parts of the ceremony, the church full of music and us in our own little world together. The whole ceremony was just full of love and joy, I couldn’t have asked for anything more perfect.

• BubbleBees
    Beginner August 2015
    BubbleBees ·
    • Hide content

Congratulations! It sounds like a lovely day.

Your dress looks stunning!

• Sambarine
    Beginner May 2015
    Sambarine ·
    • Hide content

After the Ceremony

Next, it was time for the confetti throw! I had spent weeks (with help from Mum & Dad to finish it up) punching paper hearts out of old books – Jane Eyre, Wuthering Heights, Pride & Prejudice – I cut up 8 novels’ worth of hearts in the end! I decided I would rather have too much, than too little. And it was worth it! My favourite photos are of the confetti throwing. It was a blizzard of paper! Mum had hearts stuck in her fascinator for the rest of the day, and they fell into my bouquet as well. I loved it! It was the bit of the day that brought my personality into the mix. Then, for my second favourite part of the day – finding a taxi to get us to the reception venue! We’d saved money by not booking any cars. The church is round the corner from Manchester Town Hall, where there is a permanent taxi rank of black cabs. We sent the guests on their way while we chatted with friends outside the church. Then it was time to go ourselves! I was worried about getting my dress dirty before the photos, so my friends gathered round, and each picked up a bit of the skirt, and off we went in a convoy! We walked down one of Manchester’s busiest shopping streets, me surrounded in a circle and the dress up being held up by a plethora of hands. It was so much fun! The only thing I hadn’t counted on was the taxi rank running out of taxis due to the number of our guests! So we had to wait a few minutes at the Town Hall for a taxi.

Once we finally caught one, and arrived at the venue, we were greeted with a glass of Bucks Fizz (mimosa), and the photographer started all the official photos. By the end of the photographs our cheeks were aching from all the smiling, and I’ve never had to kiss on cue so many times in my life! It was much fun though. Then the tog left, and we mingled with the guests. We were so lucky that after a week of rain, the sun came out and we were able to use the courtyard in front of Christie’s. After not very long at all, it was time to sit down for the meal. We had decided on an Italian theme for the wedding meal, so each of the tables was named for one of the cities we would visit on honeymoon, and all the guests received traditional sugared almonds with the Italian wishes for “health, wealth, happiness, children and a long life!” Sitting was a bit of an issue in my dress, but I managed it! The food was absolutely wonderful, so many guests commented afterwards that it was the best food they had ever eaten at a wedding, restaurant-quality. Unfortunately because of the bones in my corset I couldn’t eat very much of it! I made up for this by going to visit each of the tables between courses. Very glad I did this as it was difficult to make sure I’d spoken to everyone who came, and this made up for it!

Then came the speeches. Dad did a wonderful job, even though I know he was very nervous about it beforehand. hub’s speech was also a surprise; after the usual thanking of everyone, he turned to me and said “Sam, you’re the love of my life. You make me a better person”. I think it’s the other way around!! The best man did a good job too, although he was nervous! He had asked hub’s friends to send him anecdotes; one of his friends replied that Nic “is the funniest man I know, coupled with the strongest moral compass of anyone I know”. I think that sums up my husband perfectly!

Once the speeches were over we headed downstairs to the lobby for more refreshments while the staff changed the room around for the evening dancing. Some more guests, who had only been invited to the evening, arrived at this point so again time went very quickly. Before I knew it, it was time to head back upstairs for the first dance. We chose “You’ve got the Love” by a band called Florence+the Machine. Mostly for the lyrics

“Sometimes it seems that the going is just too rough
    And things go wrong no matter what I do
    Now and then it seems that life is just too much
    But you've got the love I need to see me through.”

Dad and I then danced to Neil Simon’s “Father & Daughter”, which we had decided on a few days before. I am so glad we did this – I had never danced with Dad before, and he surprised me with his dance moves! I had no idea he could dance so well (I’ve never seen him dance before). Considering the state of his ankle, I’m surprised he was able to. It’s a memory I’ll always cherish.

The night of dancing was well and truly underway – I was a terrible host at this point and rarely left the dancefloor, but I had so much fun. At the end of the night hubs and I headed off to a hotel for the night, and arrived to find a complimentary bottle of champagne and brownies left in our room by the hotel staff! We opened the bottle but were so tired (I had been awake for 21 hours at that point), that we only managed a couple of sips before falling asleep! It sounds cliché, but it really was the best day of my life, and I can’t wait to see what married life brings!

Suppliers:
    Isy Anderson, Anderson Jones Photography

Victoria Boardman, VLB Makeup

Ashley Gilbody, hairstylist

Flourish Outlet, florist

• Lapland2015
    Beginner December 2015
    Lapland2015 ·
    • Hide content

Wow it looks like you had a fantastic day. Your flowers are beautiful and you looked stunning :-) congratulations x

• M
    Beginner August 2015
    MrsFitt2B ·
    • Hide content

Congratulations! It sounds, and looks, like you had a fantastic day!

• Cache13
    Beginner August 2015
    Cache13 ·
    • Hide content

Your photos are gorgeous and you look stunning! You must be so pleased Smiley smile

• TreacleTart
    Beginner May 2015
    TreacleTart ·
    • Hide content

Fabulous report! I've said before how lovely everything looks and it just does, gorgeous details and beautiful photos! Live the bridesmaid dresses too! Reading all your details of the getting ready and the service and everything just made me all 'n'awwhh' inside :-D makes me think I should get a move in do a report too!

• rockinred40
    Beginner September 2016
    rockinred40 ·
    • Hide content

Beautiful, stunning dress you looked amazing

Congratulation and Best wishes for the future xxx

• Superhanka
    Beginner December 2014
    Superhanka ·
    • Hide content

Beautiful report, Sambarine. You made me shed a little tear.

• SillyWrong
    Beginner October 2014
    SillyWrong ·
    • Hide content

Gorgeous Smiley smile Oh I love it!

• MrsShep
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsShep ·
    • Hide content

Oh, so beautiful!! It was so lovely to read all about your day, it sounded wonderful! I didn't realise the flowers were a surprise, they're absolutely gorgeous. You and that incredible dress look fabulous, and how happy is your hubby! Your photos are perfect, what a lovely reminder of your day they'll be. xx

• bliss_balloons
    bliss_balloons ·
    • Hide content

Lovely report Sambarine and some wonderful photo's, you look so happy!

• A
    Beginner March 2015
    Ash953 ·
    • Hide content

What a lovely report. Your dress turned out to be absolutely gorgeous and you look so beautiful.

Congratulations.

• Karen84
    Beginner July 2016
    Karen84 ·
    • Hide content

What a fabulous report, your wedding was absolutely beautiful. Incredible photos.

• *J9*
    VIP March 2014
    *J9* ·
    • Hide content

Ooh such a lovely report and beautiful pictures. I love your flowers!

• laurafish
    Beginner July 2016
    laurafish ·
    • Hide content

Loved reading this! Awesome report, looks like an amazing day. You look gorgeous and so happy Smiley smile Congratulations!

• Calella
    Beginner August 2016
    Calella ·
    • Hide content

My goodness, your report brought a tear to my eye! You look absolutely beautiful, everything looks amazing! Stunning! Congratulations! x

• pammy67
    Beginner April 2015
    pammy67 ·
    • Hide content

What a beautiful report and stunning pics. I love every element especially your flowers. You looked amazing and the church was so pretty. I want to do it all again lol. Xx

• Chucklevision
    Beginner July 2015
    Chucklevision ·
    • Hide content

Looks like you had a beautiful day. Congratulations. X

• AnnaMolly
    Beginner October 2015
    AnnaMolly ·
    • Hide content

Love it. Your church was so beautiful!

• M
    Beginner July 2015
    MrsWebberToBe ·
    • Hide content

Lovely report and photos!

• HelenSomerset
    Beginner September 2014
    HelenSomerset ·
    • Hide content

Absolutely gorgeous. What an emotional day!

• alyj66
    VIP August 2014
    alyj66 ·
    • Hide content

Amazing, I love the fact that you walked to your taxi. Your dress was incredible, congratulations.

• lilbeth
    Beginner July 2015
    lilbeth ·
    • Hide content

Congratulations! It all looks fantastic, very personal and friendly.

• AuntieBJ
    Beginner September 2014
    AuntieBJ ·
    • Hide content

Gorgeous photos and fabulous report!!

• Kellym81
    Beginner October 2016
    Kellym81 ·
    • Hide content

Congratulations, you both look so happy and everything looks fab. I love your dress!!

• AKWedding
    Beginner August 2015
    AKWedding ·
    • Hide content

Congratulations! Your dress is beautiful!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics