Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

KateGonnaBMrsB
Beginner June 2016

Same height or taller brides

KateGonnaBMrsB, 21 May, 2013 at 20:56 Posted on Planning 0 19

I am getting married 19th July next year and both me and my other half are around the same height (im 5"7 1/2 and he's 5"8) I was wandering what people do in these situations? I know the dress that I will be wearing ( I bought it last year - believe me when I say weve been together and engaged for a very long time lol) and it does look a hell of a lot better in heels but I dont want to alter the dress to accomodate for flats.

please help!!

19 replies

Latest activity by KateGonnaBMrsB, 24 May, 2013 at 19:02
  • louise fisher
    Beginner July 2014
    louise fisher ·
    • Hide content

So what is the height of your shoe heel?If you do not prefer flats,then you may have to persuade your partner to wear a high heel kind of shoes too..

Apparently,a lot of guys may dislike the way,if so,will you make any concession?

Of course,long dress will be better in this condition...if it is quite pretty,the attention to the height will be changed to your dress.

http://www.avivadress.com/a-line-sweetheart-chapel-train-tulle-white-wedding-dresses-ausa002197.html

This one is not bad..

• B
    Beginner July 2014
    blueypye ·
    • Hide content

Hi Kate,

What do you usually do on a night out with him - do you wear flats or heels? My advice would be to go with what is normal for you I have this problem too, but now I just don't wear heels at all around him as it makes me feel like a giant!! I'll probably wear a small (1 inch) kitten heel on the day as it will make enough of a difference to make me walk nicer, but I wont dwarf him at the altar!

• ShootingStar2012
    Beginner March 2015
    ShootingStar2012 ·
    • Hide content

I'm about 4 inches taller than my OH, and am planning on wearing flats. I never wear heels anyway and at 6 foot it would turn me into a giant! All my bridesmaids are around 5'2/3 so our photos are gonna look pretty funny, lol!

• Skeptical78
    Beginner September 2013
    Skeptical78 ·
    • Hide content

I am the same height as my OH too- we're both around 5'11...I NEVER wear heels, but my dress is tea length and, thanks to the fact that I've been 'blessed' with rugby player calves, it just looks better with heels. But mine are only a little heel. I'll be a bit taller than him, but I don't think it matters. Why should we be the small, lowly ones?! ?

• *gnashers*
    Beginner October 2013
    *gnashers* ·
    • Hide content

OH is about 5 inches taller than me, but my heels are 5 inches, so we'll end up being the same height. Doesn't really bother me TBH.

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

At an entirely average height myself and some 8 inches shorter than Boy, I have nothing productive to add to the conversation except to agree with this.

Why do girls pander to boys in order to protect their fragile egos? Why do boys need to be the taller?

• MrsA2B2014
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsA2B2014 ·
    • Hide content

OH and I are the same height, and he's quite encouraging about me wearing heels - I tend to be the self conscious one. I had wanted to wear flats but he has practically insisted that I wear heels as he knows I feel glamorous in them. The height difference in heels doesn't bother him, even though I top 6ft in them. He's my Bernie Ecclestone on nights out.

It should all be about how you feel, if you're more comfortable or feel more glamorous in heels, then wear them particularly if he's not fussed. I'll probably take them off for the photos to avoid embarrassing crouching though!

• mum-wants-a-hat
    Beginner June 2013
    mum-wants-a-hat ·
    • Hide content

LI'm already at least 2 inches taller than my OH and had planned on wearing flats, but purely as I don't usually 'do' heels. When I wear my day today boots, they make me taller by another 1.5 inches at least, so he is used to there being an even bigger height difference.

Admittedly I did wonder if I ended up wearing heels on our day that I might feel a bit self conscious once I look back at the photos but figured if OH doesn't have an issue with it then nor do I.

So I have found some lovely yet seemingly comfy heels- yes, I will tower over OH by a good 4 inches at least but by goodness I love them, they make the dress hang beautifully and I walk with a much better posture wearing them.

Someone once described me as 'Amazonian'..... I take that as a compliment and I fully expect my lovely short arse to be so knocked out by the fact that I'm in a frock AND full makeup that he won't even notice my giantesque proportions lol!

• Piestar
    Beginner April 2014
    Piestar ·
    • Hide content

I'm 6ft tall, as is my OH. I will be wearing flats (if ever get bloody married - another story) for a number of reasons:

1. OH doesn't like me being taller than him.

2. I can't walk in heels and don't find them comfy at all.

3. On numerous occasions have been told I 'walk like a man' in heels.

Nuff said!

• TheMrsMeFo
    Beginner April 2015
    TheMrsMeFo ·
    • Hide content

Am so glad I found this conversation! I'm about 3inches taller than the H2B when barefoot and although I don't always notice the difference there are times when I feel like a giant, so I never wear heels when I'm out with him. I have worn kitten heels to weddings etc though as dresses always look better with a bit of heel and when I look back at photos I am usually doing a one legged bend / crouch thing!! So I think on the big day I will wear flats - nice sparkly glittery blinging flats, that way I can dance the night away without having sore feet!!

• MrsA2B2014
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsA2B2014 ·
    • Hide content

Haha Melanie, with you on the one legged bend!! But that's OH's fault - he loves buying shoes and they're normally 5 or 6 inchers

• A
    Beginner December 2013
    Amaranth ·
    • Hide content

I'm half an inch taller than my partner, and gloat that half inch every chance I get. I'll be wearing heels on the day, because I like wearing heels. She probably won't be, as she views heels as instruments of torture. My heels probably won't be that high- no more than 3 inches, probably less than that- but I'm still going to be taller than her in photos. And if it hurts her fragile wee ego, she can get over it or bring a pair of stilts.

• LotBot
    Beginner March 2015
    LotBot ·
    • Hide content

I have the complete opposite problem.. OH is over a foot taller than me (I'm 5ft3 when he's 6ft6! ) But I can't walk in heels and nearly broke my ankle last time I wore them! What I'm planning to do is walk in my flats and have heels for the photos.. Maybe if you ladies are conscious about being taller, you can do the opposite and have flats for the photos and first dance Smiley smile

• Italybride14
    Beginner May 2014
    Italybride14 ·
    • Hide content

We're around the same height. I'm 5'11 and my dress shop have said I can't go higher than 2 1/2 inches which suits me. I adore Rachel Simpson shoes and am hoping to get a pair from there. I'm aiming for low heels but still pretty. I may get some flats too, just in case. I just think I won't feel ladylike if I'm not even in a small heel. It doesn't bother my oh at all.

• RockabillyBaker
    Curious August 2014
    RockabillyBaker ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

Glad someone has posted this, I'll be wearing flats because of comfort. I don't usually wear heels and would rather not be in any pain on my wedding day.

BUT my OH who is 1 inch shorter than me insists he will wear lifts. I'm not sure about this as we've been together for 10 years, I think everyone's already rumbled this "terrible" fact lol. I suppose he'll feel better in photos as his ushers are all 6ft plus while he's 5"8 but I would like to dissuade him from this as he's usually such a confident guy and I don't want him to basically advertise this one insecurity he has.

• KateGonnaBMrsB
    Beginner June 2016
    KateGonnaBMrsB ·
    • Hide content

Me and h2b have decided that we're both going to wear converse (with our designs on them) mainly because that is what we are both known for lol and were having a fairly kooky wedding Smiley smile when me and h2b go out it tends to be that I wear flats anyway x

http://www.converse.co.uk/#/products/shoes/converseone/builder/chuTayHiCanWom1304_UK_Digital,,,,

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics