Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

C
Beginner June 2012

Sample Wedding Dress Reassurance Needed!

Country Flower, 28 September, 2011 at 12:21 Posted on Planning 0 6

Hi,

I'm just wondering if anyone has experienced a similar situation and if you have any calming words of wisdom.

I found my wedding dress about four weeks ago, after trying on around 30 dresses in three different shops I found the dress that I wanted. The dress was a sample dress which was a great price (this was great we are on a budget) at the time i didn't mind and was assured that alterations could be made to remodel it slightly (Zip to lace back and straight to sweetheart neckline). I was Happy...

Then on Monday we found out that the shop had shut, but that the seamstress had my dress at her home ready for me to pick up. The dress is now at my moms house and I can take it back to the seamstress in for the alterations. But now when I look at it I feel a bit disappointed. I feel that the organza fanric looks a little grey, though when it is layed on top of the white satin underneath It isn't and I have found a tiny tear, about half an inch. though this could be covered with lace applique.

I think that the main thing I am concerned about, is that I expected to go the the bridal shop, try on my veil and tiara etc all together, get the alterations done and pick my dress up the week before, steamed and nicely packed. Now it will still be the same seamstress but standing in her living room doesn't seem as nice and organised.

My mom has iiad that we can go and buy another dress but a) I don;t want her to have to pay a fortune for a dress for me - this was in budget and b) I haven't seen any dresses I prefer apart from a £3k Ellie Saab number!

Has anyone encountered a similar thing - did everything turn out ok?

6 replies

Latest activity by Panjita, 29 September, 2011 at 11:26
  • vicster
    Beginner December 2011
    vicster ·
    • Hide content

I bought a sample dress which is currently sitting in my house - have a kinda similar feeling. Firstly, if the material looks kinda grey you might want to get it cleaned before you wear. I will be doing this as it naturally won't be fresh having been tried on by others.

Also, you might be able to find a bridal shop that will do the alterations for you. I have done this (in Kent if its any use) so I will get all of that side of things.

• Vee Tee
    Beginner April 2012
    Vee Tee ·
    • Hide content

I actually don't think you have anything to worry about, the seamstress will sort out that wee tear, the greyness is something I have often thought myself, the first time I was at a wedding fair and saw a white dress in amongst ivory dresses i thought god that looks grey. my mum said the same, a lot of whites especially certain kinds of fabric do look grey, but as you say once you look at the whole dress together it doesn't. Its just a bit of extra hassle, which yeah you don't need, but you loved the dress before and it will definatley all come together.

• Barefoot
    Beginner August 2012
    Barefoot ·
    • Hide content

It sounds to me like you're not concerned about the dress, but that you may miss out on the pre-wedding bridal pampering and feeling gorgeous that goes along with a visit to the dress shop. This is understandable, but believe me, once you have your dress on your wedding day, the lead up will be insignificant, and it sounds as if this seamstress will get it all sorted out for you Smiley smile

• Panjita
    Beginner May 2011
    Panjita ·
    • Hide content

I bought a sample. A wedding shop did my alterations so I still got to go there and do the whole "wow" thing with my BM's.

• C
    Beginner June 2012
    Country Flower ·
    • Hide content

Thank you everyone. I feel much better after reading your posts. I think that there is far too much pressure put on us brides regarding the dress - my sister in law (to be) had a brand new dress which cost thousands (and everyone knew it). It seems that you have to have the biggest most expensive of everything sometimes. I haven't told anyone mine is a sample gown as I can imagine some reactions in the family and on a need to know basis, they don't! but I'm sure one will be able to tell. We're on a budget and after looking at the dress again, it really is perfect for me. Simple, pretty and not too fussy. After all its the marriage not the dress that the main thing. PS. the picture on the bus is lovely!

• Panjita
    Beginner May 2011
    Panjita ·
    • Hide content

I told a few people after the event that I only paid £99 for it and they were seriously shocked. It doesn't matter how much it costs as long as you feel super special in it.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics