Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

snow bride
Beginner June 2016

Save the date, is 16 months too early??

snow bride, 24 of February of 2015 at 13:32 Posted on Planning 0 15

We have 16 months to go to the wedding, so plenty of time! However, it appears next year is the year for weddings. 2 of my dearest friends are getting married next year and 3 more close friends are planning there days!

It sounds horribly bridezilla like but I'm thinking of getting my STD out asap just so that there isn't the risk of clashed dates!

Does this make me sound horrible??? Lol

15 replies

Latest activity by Mrslh2b, 25 of February of 2015 at 12:52
  • MrsV-wasMissB
    Beginner August 2015
    MrsV-wasMissB ·
    • Hide content

In the above scenerio its worth sending them as soon as you have the date.

However, dont make the mistake we did and send them (20 months to go) to everyone on our list. THINGS HAPPEN! Only send to those yuo know will always be invited regardless. We have made a few errors in sending STDates to "mates" who dont make any effort with us or we havent seen since our engagement party last Feb (though no fault of own)

• Inspyre
    Beginner August 2016
    Inspyre ·
    • Hide content

I think it's a bit too early, but I completely understand your reservations. My bridesmaid is a wedding photographer so I had to get the go ahead from her to book my date!

I'd get them out around the year mark and perhaps if you're close have a quiet chat with the other brides to unofficially STD!

• K
    Beginner June 2016
    KellyBrowning93 ·
    • Hide content

I know how you feel, ours is in June next year and we have bought the save the dates but we're not planning on sending them out until the year to go mark.

Since then though my cousin has announced that she has booked her wedding 3 weeks after ours, but most people know that ours is in June just from speaking to us but we're not going to send the official save the dates until a year to go.

If you send them too early people are likely to forget really, I would wait a bit but perhaps if you just slip into conversations the month you're getting married then hopefully no one will book the same day!

• kizzi10000
    Beginner August 2016
    kizzi10000 ·
    • Hide content

We're getting married August next year, and I've been wondering the same thing. Was looking to send out around June time as people are thinking of summer holidays so they can hopefully arrange the following year's trip around our date. Though we're only inviting family to the ceremony, and I've already asked my mum to put the feelers out to guage interest due to travel issues and wanting to know in plenty of time if I need to lay on help.

If there are a lot of things going on next year, then yes, I can understand you wanting to get in first if you've already got your date booked, so I'd probably go for it. It's certainly not horrible. Though if they're close friends, maybe you could have a chat with them to see what their plans are? I'm sure they'd want to make sure they don't clash with you

• F
    Beginner January 1999
    friskyfox88 ·
    • Hide content

We sent our STDs (awful abbreviation) out as soon as we'd confirmed the venue which was around 14 months before the wedding. A number of our family work in jobs where they work night shifts over the weekend and they were asking us every time we saw them when it was going to be so they could take time off work. Saying this we got a couple of sarky comments off others who thought we were being ridiculous by sending them out so early.....damned if you do damned if you don't!! I say go for it!

• Daisy Bell
    Beginner August 2015
    Daisy Bell ·
    • Hide content

I'm not sure we'll do STDs... we are getting married in August, hopefully will have venue booked by the end of the week but with not that many people invited, everyone pretty much already knows anyway. Only reason we might do them is because they would be pretty...

Do you match STDs to your invitations? Pretty sure we wouldn't be organised enough to know what they will look like by the time we could send out STDs (next week).

Anyway, with that much notice, I would probably only send them to the very closest friends & family... or just verbally let them know and send the STDs later?

• pammy67
    Beginner April 2015
    pammy67 ·
    • Hide content

If you have set your date etc and if there's a need to send them out now then send them out now. Normally Save the Dates go out about 12 months before, but if you are having your wedding on a date or at a location where it's helpful for people to have more notice then by all means send them out now. Just ignore any ooh that's early comments from recipients.

But if it's because other girls will be setting their dates, then I would mention to them that you have booked your date and venue, just so they can be aware when making their plans. You need to handle it carefully though so it doesn't come across as bridezilla. It is a tough one.

• bliss_balloons
    bliss_balloons ·
    • Hide content

We sent out ours about 16 months in advance, people were asking for them! We've had loads of people announce weddings and some family were planning a big trip away so now they are holding off until next year. If we didn't send them out early then everyone we wanted to be there wouldn't have been.

• E
    Beginner June 2015
    EXCITEDBRIDE15:) ·
    • Hide content

I sent ours out 18 months before

1. I was excited to send them out

2.never can be too early! have a summer wedding -people may go on holiday etc

I would send them from now Smiley smile

• bubblerawk
    Beginner July 2016
    bubblerawk ·
    • Hide content

Im thinking of sending mine in july. im more worried about people losing them and forgetting the date since its so far in advanced.

i have started writing them though

• kelly17687
    Beginner May 2016
    kelly17687 ·
    • Hide content

We are getting married in May next year and we have given ours to family so far. The place we are getting married is kind if out of the way, and the venue only has 7 rooms fir stating over so we wanted to get them handed out early so people can book hotels etc nearby if they want to

xxx

• Charliebob
    Beginner May 2016
    Charliebob ·
    • Hide content

I sent mine just before Xmas with 17 months to go but only to family members, like someone else said you don't know what may happen on the friend front.

• daisymoo86
    Beginner July 2016
    daisymoo86 ·
    • Hide content

I sent them out with Xmas cards, so 18 months in advance.

People kept asking when the wedding was, we had the venue etc. booked so thought we may as well. We made our Save the Dates as magnets so people wont lose them if they put them on the fridge. And with it being a summer wedding we thought it was useful to allow people to plan their holidays etc.

• H
    Beginner July 2016
    HeavyMetalMaiden ·
    • Hide content

I think it is way too early...

What I suggest is that you tell these brides which date you are getting married, if they are close mates I assume you chat with them regularly? Failing that a nice message just saying, 'i know you are all busy planning your big days, just let you know my date, as I really would love for you to make it to my big day! Happy planning ladies'... Something along those lines, but worded better!!

INMHO, if I got a save the date so early, I would actually end up forgetting, because I am not going to (and I cannot) book a day off work that far in advance, I cannot write it on my calendar as it is not that year, the date would just get lost! If people ask me I just tell them, and will send out proper save the dates nearer the time.

• A
    Beginner September 2015
    almostmrsStimpson ·
    • Hide content

I would send them out now. We sent ours out in june last yr and STILL had a relative book their wedding on the same day as ours x

• Mrslh2b
    Beginner August 2016
    Mrslh2b ·
    • Hide content

I don't think it's too early. I know everyone is different, but I would feel a little bridezilla-ish saying to the other B2B's "this is my date..." no matter how much I tried to sugar coat it, I just would feel like I was "warning" my friend's off my date (but not in a good way if that makes sense!) Whereas, if you send save the dates to all your guests - it's not personal to your friends that your making them aware of your date as you're telling everyone. I'm not sure if this makes sense as I can't describe it very well haha!

We will be sending our save the dates out over the next few months (get married August 2016) purely because it's the summer holidays (want people to be aware of the date before they book holidays) and it's a Monday (so want people to know they may have o take a day off work) -if they want to come!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics