Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

GeordieBarbie
Beginner May 2010

Save the Date vs Early Invitations

GeordieBarbie, 22 of September of 2009 at 12:16 Posted on Planning 0 18

Hi

We've ogt a provisional wedding date and are off to view the venue on Saturday but we are expecting to confirm after the visit.

The location we have picked means all our family and friends will need to travel so once we've booked, I'd wanted to tell close family and friends the date etc so they could look to get cheap hotels and flights, etc. Chatting to D last night about doing this "formally" (rather than word of mouth through parents, etc), he said - "why don't we just send the inviations out early?"

This got me thinking - why don't we? Is there any reason why we shouldn't?

Also, if we were to do a "save the date" thing, what kind of wording do you use? I was thinking of just typing on the computer a letter style of thing so we could include hotel information, etc. But not sure what to write after "save the date" ?

Thoughts?

18 replies

Latest activity by GeordieBarbie, 6 of October of 2011 at 13:09
  • L
    Beginner April 2011
    loopyjennie ·
    • Hide content

We have the same problem so will be watching this post with interest.. Not sure what to suggest other than maybe compling a list of hotels in the area as an info sheet and explaining that you will confirm everything else nearer the time??

• C
    Beginner October 2009
    CookieMonster ·
    • Hide content

My OH and I sent our invitations out 8 months before the wedding so I wuold definately advise to go down this route. My own personal opinion is that I dont really see the point of STDs, especially when a lot of the websiteas I have been on say that it is normal to send invites out just 8 weeks before the big day; this doesn't give people the opportunity to book accomodation etc early (thus theoretically getting it cheaper). And if you choose to put the accom etc on the STDs then what is the point of the invite? Also, it meant we had our numbers sorted pretty early on which meant it has been super easy to sort out catering supplies, table plans, wine/champagne etc. If I did it all again I would still send the invites out early so you knwo what my vote is!

• bluewater
    Beginner August 2009
    bluewater ·
    • Hide content

When is the wedding? if it's 6m+, i would just send a STD <snigger> as you'll need to send out details such as accommodation, taxis, gift list, etc etc in the invites

if you're going to send a std, just put "geordiebarbie and geordieken are getting married on xx/xx/xxxx - please keep the date free! formal invite to follow". i'd maybe also put the provisional location (i.e city, or town), and then put your contact details if people want to know how to get to your location.

however if your relatives and friends are anything like my H's, they'll wait until the last possible moment to book flights and accommodation, and then be annoyed when all the first choice cheaper flights and accommodation are no longer available, despite them having had the save the date card for OVER A YEAR <sigh>

• M
    Beginner July 2010
    mrslowndes2b ·
    • Hide content

Hi

I had a similar problem as we live in Staffordshire getting married in Worcestershire (which is where myfamily live) but OH lives all over the country and world China and Oz!! weve sent save the date cards and this is roughly what we put:

Save The Date

My Name XXXXx

and

OH Name

Are Getting Married on the 17th July 2010

at XXXXX

Invitations and details to follow

I have also included a small list of hotels and numbers etc.

Hope that helps!!!

• Gillsy
    Beginner April 2010
    Gillsy ·
    • Hide content

If it were me, I would send STDs just now and then the invitations 2-3 months before the day. Its a personal thing though.

Some of the girls on here have done some gorgeous STDs.

• Mitzi50
    Beginner June 2010
    Mitzi50 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Our family will need to travel from abroad, south africa, germany and america so for us a save the date essential. For such long distances in the summer I think you need to give people as mcuh notice as possible as they may need to build it into their summer hols etc. Our weording was pretty much the same as Mrs Lowndes2B...

We sent these out 11 months in advance and have had a great responce from people as they can book the time of and get cheap flights now. I think if we sent out the invites 11 months in advance and then nothing closer to the time then that may be a little odd! And people in the country who havent had to book flights and things may have forgotten the dates and wot not by then. We will send our main invites out probably 3 months before the wedding.

HTH x

• GeordieBarbie
    Beginner May 2010
    GeordieBarbie ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for the replies.

The wedding will be early May 2010 - about 7 months time.

We live in Reading, i'm from Newcastle, he's from Nottingham and getting married in Bristol so everyone has to travel. My mother is already doing my head in talking about this hotel being X price and this one Y price! What I don't want is for her to go off when we've set the date and tell people to get their hotels booked. I want to invite them and tell them I have chosen to invite them hence the question. My brother has already talked about flying down with SleazyJet so would obviously like to tell him ASAP so he can get the cheaper fares, etc.

I think I may just think about sending the invites out now, I kinda can't see the point in sending save the dates now and then an invitation 2-3 months before - feels like the save the date will be viewed as the invitation as they won't contain much more info...

CookieMonster - what kind of RSVP date did you put on your invitations??

Thanks for all the suggestions girlies! I will talk it over with D...

PS - anyone used Photobox for their invitations?? Any piccies to share??

• C
    Beginner October 2009
    CookieMonster ·
    • Hide content

Hi Barbie!

We had 6 weeks on ours, but found people would think 'oh thats plenty of time' and then forget out it...i would say do four weeks - plenty of time for them to get it done, but hopefully not so much they'll forget to RSVP all together!

x

• E
    Beginner July 2006
    emma@twenty-seven ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

I'd recommend that you send your save the dates out straight away. It will give all your guests time to make plans - send your invites out nearer the time. If you send invites out now, some guests will not reply as it is so far away and will be forgotten. Send invites out no sooner than 12 weeks before the wedding.

As for wording, we use ...

Save the date for the marriage of (Bride and Groom names) on (date) at (venue)

Invitation to follow

People will get in touch if they need more info.

Hope that helps!

• ebee
    Beginner January 2008
    ebee ·
    • Hide content

Personally I wish people would send invites a lot earlier, especially if it's not local. we're in a situation where we know when a wedding is (through word of mouth) but we still can't make arrangements as we don't know times, and if our kids are invited.

?

• GeordieBarbie
    Beginner May 2010
    GeordieBarbie ·
    • Hide content

Decsions decisions! I had thought of (and had a sneaky play) typing a word document which is kind of in the style of a letter but just says pretty much "We've set the date for the wedding, please save the date" and then our names (with room to sign and write names) and then underneath wrote the location and listed some hotels. Or a little PowerPoint style thing with hotels included... But now I'm thinking we might as well save the stamps and just send out the invitations 6 months in advance and just ask for RSVPs in a month or two's time. People will know if they are coming so can just reply earlier.

Hmmmm - will see what D has to say ?

• C
    Beginner July 2012
    Chippers ·
    • Hide content

We have a similar decision to make -

I suggested sending out details to those travelling from afar that would need to book flights now, so they can get that sorted, then send out invites to the 'locals' next year.

Do people think that is OK or is it wrong to send some and not others ?

• Michelle772012
    Beginner July 2012
    Michelle772012 ·
    • Hide content

I have sent STD's at 10 months but due to the amount of options i need my guests to choose i.e coaches food and room options i will send my invites out at 6 months esp with all the bank holidays and it being start of the summer i book my holidays 1 yr in advance and if some cant come i have a reserve list of those i actually want to invite wiithout MIL knowing hehe i think with 7 months to go by the time you book and get invites i would send them out but thats just me i like to be uber organised it verges on ocd lol x

• E
    Beginner March 2012
    Emsypooh ·
    • Hide content

We are just booking our wedding now to get married in March 2012. Half of our guest list are in Derbyshire but we live and are getting married in Hampshire. I am going to send my invites now and not bother with save the dates.

• C
    Beginner June 2012
    Country Flower ·
    • Hide content

We have sent out STH magnets with a list of accommodation. It is quite a touristiy area so those that know they want to stay over will need to book. I will send out invites in March (wedding in June)which gives me more time to plan finer details such a the menu

• GeordieBarbie
    Beginner May 2010
    GeordieBarbie ·
    • Hide content

Blimey! Very old post!! I've been married 16 months...

I went with the early invitations in the end, sent them out first weekend of November with an RSVP date of mid January for a mid May wedding.

I didn't see the point of STDs, sending out information to everyone to book hotels, etc therefore inviting them but then sending a "formal" invitation later. Didn't seem much point.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics